First grow; lighting combo question

Starkiller

Hello all
I'm in the process if setting up for my first grow. It will just be a small grow about5 or 6 plants for personnel use. I have my venting filtering all set up. I will be growing in soil. My question is about my lighting. Right now I have a t5 and 4 125w cfls in the 6000k range. Will this be enough light or should I add a small hps setup? I've read the more light the better but has anyone tried this combo? Should I just change to hps only or stick with my current setup? Thank you guys in advance for any tips or tricks.

Hi again Starkiller.

I'm a firmly entrenched in the "the more light the better" camp, although I recognize there is a point of diminishing return when adding lights. Are the CFL's 125 watt equivalent or real wattage. Either way I think you could anticipate adding at least a few more of them to support 5 or 6 plants.

You mention you have your venting/filtering all set up. Would it handle venting the heat from a HID light? If so I would seriously consider adding one. I have read that buds grown strictly under flouro/CFL's tend to be airier and less dense than those from HID's although I've also heard of exceptions. I have no experience with flouro's other than as lighting for seeds and small clones.

I will share that I took some clones too early in my last grow and was forced to leave them under my t5 for longer than planned. In spite of several rounds of topping efforts to control their height (I have limited height in clone area) they had already begun to develop pre-flowers before I could move them into my tent under my HID. I have noticed that the spacing of the buds on those early clones is much closer together than clones taken later in the grow which therefore spent much less time under the flouro's. I can't help wonder if there is a beneficial cause and effect relationship to the flouro's and tight node spacing?

Perhaps your on to something in considering using both flouro/CFL and HID?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Ledgrower nice setup! I have thought about LEDs I install a lot of them at work and see their potential. Maybe if I get this first crop under my belt I'll look into it deeper. Tanner my cfls are 150 w equivilants. My venting cooling could handle the heat I think as my room runs on the cooler side but not too cool. My floor space is 4x5' by 7.5' tall.

So what wattage HID would you consider adding if you decided to do so? I'd like to suggest a 600 watt but interested in hearing your thoughts.

I was kinda wondering that myself. I read a lot of 4&600 watt grows that do well. If I add I was thing 250 or 400 but if 600 is that much in cost that may make more sense. I have the power in my room to handle either choice. The lights I have already I set up on a contactor so I don't smoke my timer. And it's big enough to handle the load.

Well, I confess I was torn in my thinking between keeping the t5 and CFL's and adding either a 250 or more likely a 400, and just going balls to walls with the t5/CFL's and the 600. Obviously, and true to form, I suggested the 600. I will share that unless you get an air cooled (as in enclosed/cool tube type) light, any of those HID's are going to add a LOT of heat to your grow area.

I think the difference in pricing between 250 and 600 watts is pretty minimal so in my mind it really just boils down to handling the heat, paying for the electricity, and your personal choice on the matter.

Sorry there is no "This is the one and only right way to do it" kind of answer here. If your like most of us, you'll be happy with whatever you grow in first round and then will set off on a journey to improve with every "next grow".

Thanks again taneR. Im thinking I will add an hps either 4ir600 I'm confident I can keep the heat a non issues. Thanks for the advice and info. I'm getting pretty excited to give this a try and that I e found a place with guys like you who are willing to help a first timer.

Yes, this is a truly amazing community of members!

I would advise you to add as much light as you can reasonably cool. You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering. High Intensity Discharge lighting with a High Pressure Sodium or an LED panel would be a great improvement for flowering. I use Florescent lights for vegetative growth as well. If you are looking for LED sellers try the forum sponsors

Sponsors | 420 MAGAZINE ®

Back
Top Bottom