First grow room build

Light Worker

Ok here goes my first attempt at building a room. I have a detached garage that I will be using for this project. The place is a mess now but when I get it all done I will clean and organize then. I was hopping to have this done before my current grow was through with veg but I don't think that will be happening now. I am trying to keep the cost down as much as I can and even then it is very expensive.

for now at least I will be using the existing aluminum coated insulation for two of the walls. The other two walls and ceiling I am using aluminum coated 2" foam board. I wanted to kill three birds with one stone as far as the insulation, wall board and reflection. Also cuts way down on the build time.

I am buying most of my grow supplies such as lights and what not used from Craigs List. Here is a list of some of the things I have so far.
2-XXXX8 grow magnum hoods
2-King Cobra 8" hoods. These things are even bigger then the magnum hoods.
2-chineese made 1000w dimmable MH/HPS ballast.
2-switchable 1000w magnetic ballast
AIR-1 controller
fan speed controller.
24 pot ebb and flow system. I will probably only be using 8 of the pots. 2 plants per light.
11,000btu ac unit.
dehumidifier
a guy gave me a heave marine 10/3 extension cord that I will be hooking up a 220v timer to so I can run all my ballast. I will have to get new cords for the magnetic ballast first.
gr_oct_2oth_1_.JPG
october_31st_3_.JPG
october_31st_1_.JPG
october_31st_2_.JPG
gr_oct_31st_1_.JPG
gr_oct_31st_2_.JPG
gr_oct_31st_3_.JPG
nov_3rd_1_.JPG
nov_3rd_2_.JPG

Hopefully I will have it operational by next weekend. Trying to make it pretty air tight so eventually I can try some CO2

Damn dude that is looking pretty sweet. With those lights you can run 4 plants per light and that would be my suggestion :)
Need any help with the electrical wiring let me know. I'm an old pro at it now lol

Thanks A1. I will be playing with the number of plants to see what works best. I have seen some pretty amazing sized plants that had a lot of light to themselves. I bought some bulbs from a local guy that said he only grows 1 plant per light. I didn't ask him what watt his lights were but I think that may be cutting it down a bit too far. I have 14 plants in my veg cabinet that would love to be in that room now but if I don't get it set up soon I will never be able to get the roots separated if it isn't too late already.

I think I learned enough from your journal to get the electrical installed.:)

Looks really amazing cant wait to see the ladies move in! What are you doing for the smell? Massive exhaust fan or are you gonna get several small ones? They can be a bit pricey...

Looks really amazing cant wait to see the ladies move in! What are you doing for the smell? Massive exhaust fan or are you gonna get several small ones? They can be a bit pricey...

I am looking forward to moving the ladies in as well. I have some that are in a cabinet that are almost through with flowering and some that are in another cabinet that are a few weeks into veg. Not sure which I will throw in but am leaning toward the veg plants.

I have a very large carbon filter that I bought used as well and I was told it only had a few months on it but who really knows. I may put a t off the light fan and filter it that way but I may not worry too much about it as I am out where everyone owns at least 1 1/4 acre and even if they smelt it they wouldn't say anything. But I would rather they didn't know anyway.I have a small 4" fan and a 4" passive duct that I am going to test at first to see if it brings in enough fresh air. I am thinking it will be okay sense I am not trying to scrub but this is new to me so I don't really know for sure.

I will post some more pics soon with all the duct work in and lights on.

I am very close to moving in some plants. It is amazing how small a room gets when you start putting in fans, dehumidifiers and AC units.
My test 4 inch exhaust fan
gr_nov_8th_9_.JPG

On the left is the passive 4" intake and on the right is the passive 8" intake for the lights
gr_nov_8th_1_.JPG

My 8" 750cfm exhaust for the lights. Which as you seen from the above pic is all sealed so when I run CO2 I will not be pulling air from the room.
gr_nov_8th_5_.JPG

Another shot of the light intake and of the ballast board.
gr_nov_8th_4_.JPG

Another angle of the ballast board.
gr_nov_8th_2_.JPG

I built a shelf for my dehumidifier and ac unit but I don't know if they would have been better off on the floor or not.
gr_nov_8th_8_.JPG

And lastly just a couple of pics from different angles.
gr_nov_8th_7_.JPG
gr_nov_8th_3_.JPG

If you have any suggestions please chime in.

Sunleaves make great reflectors, very high quality. Good choice, they're more expensive than others however worth it for sure.

These hoods are nice for sure but the thing I don't like is they didn't make it easy to change a bulb or clean the inside of the glass.

They do swing down pretty low, so definitely gotta watch out for your canopy, when you get one.

There are these new reflectors called Triple X2 which look very sweet too, about the same size with better options for opening the lens.

Mine don't even swing down. They just have L-brackets all the way around so I have to take the glass all the way out. It is almost a 2 man job.

Back
Top Bottom