First Solo Grow - DWC Kosher Kush

AlphaPrime

Hi All,

First of all I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody on this forum. For months I have been silently in the background; absorbing information like a sponge - and have to admit that I am generally amazed to the overwhelming wealth of knowledge and support in these Forums ! Special thanks must go to Bassman - because his KK grow journal is what brought me to this site initially much the same for Tulip and his DWC for noobs post - you taught me tons of stuff man! I hope i get to implement just a little of what I have seen over the last few months in my up and coming grow!

I have helped friends of mine with several of their grow's and still pop in to give a helping hand from time to time.

Im also fully aware that soil is much more forgiving than a Hyrdo setup, but I must admit that i enjoy the challenge and think learning by doing is the way to go ! (And whenever i go to the local hydro store im like a kid in a toyshop :p)

I decided (after being in 'Dam last week) - to go ahead and start my first grow with 6 of DNA/RP Kosher Kush seeds.

My setup is as follows:
-Secret Jardin 100x100x200cm tent
-Aeros IV: 4 Bucket DWC System

1x 20L Master Tank and Fittings
4x 20L Tank, Lid and 120mm Mesh Pot
4x Haelia 100mm Air Stone
2x Marina Air Pump and Air Line

-4 inch Carbon Filter
-6 inch Systemair RVK A1 extraction fan
-4 inch Systemair RVK --> used as intake
-Powerplant Aircooled reflector
-600W Lumatek Digi Ballast
-600W HPS Bulb
-250W CFL Light
-All the associated random stuff like ducting, clips, hygrometer,thermometer,cabling etc etc....

I germinated the seeds on late Wednesday - 02/13/2013 - And all 6 sprouted successfully within 48 hours and appear to be thriving thus far. I am aware that due to space restrictions I will only be able to grow 4 - and will see which ones appear to be the strongest once they get moved from my propagator into the DWC system.

I meant to take care of setting up the water etc today (Sunday) - but had unexpected thigns to do and look forward to having tomorrow off in order to work away on it

Now, I would really appreciate some input on this - maybe I smoked too much to be writing this at present; but opionions seem to differ as to when root riot cubes should be transferred into the pots. Could someone pleae clear this up for me ?

Also, I just realised I left out PH/EC/nute thermo on my equipment list - thats because I'm still deciding between the BlueLabs dual meter or the NutraDrip Tri Meter.

Also - I think my temperatures should be pretty cool - with lamp at pretend foliage height +4inches im in the 75-82 degree range. By lamp im referring to the 600W HPS.... The CFL light temperature is negligable at present - running my seedligns at 77.5 at present with 60% Humid.

Would a water chiller make a massive difference in this setup ? I could probably find some extra money to lay out on it; but is it really worth the investment - Im not planning on getting a much larger tent - and knowing myself I will be OCD in terms of nutrient control and reservoir maintenance / cleanliness.

Talking of nutes - thinking of goign with the AN Connoiseurs range - any strong objections apart from the money side of things? Ive got a buddy who may (otherwise will buy other nutes) be able to hook me up at next to free prices - so not too worried on outlay in this area.... I would have loved to get ther BPN nutes, but to be honest to my part of the world the shipping is just as much as the nutes itself; so will sadly have to wait until next time =(.

Sorry for such a lenghty long read - But after having hidden in the masses for so long; I thought i would make my first post as a registered user a bit longer than a mere sentence.

Happy growing

P.S. Any and all constructive feedback / criticism / conversation is welcome and appreciated =))

:420::thanks::Namaste:

PPS - Pics to follow

Photos coming asap - trying to figure out how to upload as we speak !

Has anybody else got any experience with the DWC that i bought ? I finally got everything hooked up an hour ago, and my admiration quickly turned to a panic as water was leaking from one of the buckets/seals - nothing a bit of silicone sealing applied to outside couldnt fix !

photo332.JPG

Very annoyed as i just went to track my package containing nutes and pH/ec meter (bluelabs dual) - looks like they wont arrive until the end of the week !

I dont want to harm my little girls early on; would plain tap water that has been circulating through system with 4x airstones for a few hours to dissolve any chlorine do harm ?

Also in case anybody is wondering - pump and drip system is getting installed in an hour or two - but at the moment the mesh pots are slightly above water level. Ive got sufficient 'spray' reaching the bottom inch or so of the mesh pots. Is this sufficient as long as the plants get top fed or should i be submerging part of the mesh cups ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Ive come to realise that no matter how many guides/videos/grow logs you watch - I always seem to ask myself new questions ! At the same time I also find myself getting excited to see my little girls every time a few hours have passed - My gf on the otherh and is not too happy that the first and last thing i do in a day are looking at my plants haha !

:Namaste:

photo2101.JPG
Close up of water feed to mesh pots

photo1102.JPG
mesh pots all hooked up to pump

Got to say im realyl dissapointed that my Bluelabs dual ph/ec meter wont arrive for a few days. Made the trip down to the local hydro store and got some old school pH testing solution - guess i will have to sese how good my eyesight is these days :(

Could somebody please advise when the best time to transplant the cubes into mesh pots would be ? Ive got very good water mist getting generated by the airstones = keeping the bottom 2/3 of pot nice and moist whilst the pots still have a good inch or so ground clearance.

Im scared that my girl will drown if i put the dripper system near the cube ? Ive fitted a flow valve to control the flow from solid stream to virtual drops - so can make any adjustments as recommended - im just lacking the initial courage to actually put them in - any words of wisdom hugely appreciated and highly needed =)))

Hi Sky,

Sorry completely forgot to mention it in my post - they are currently in "Root It" cubes - basically the same as Root Riot!

Have the seeds popped roots out of the bottom and sides? If so put them in the dwc bucket with your hydroton (clay pebbles). I've done dwc before but I never had a top feeder in mine so I can't say on what to do about that

Have the seeds popped roots out of the bottom and sides? If so put them in the dwc bucket with your hydroton (clay pebbles). I've done dwc before but I never had a top feeder in mine so I can't say on what to do about that

Thanks for the reply ;)

The roots have grown very strong out of the bottom - but can't really see too much on the sides yet ! I haven't messed around / poked and pulled the cube to search for side roots....

Guess I will wait another day or two and see how it goes !

Thanks again for your help man ! :thumb:

Kosher Kush one of my favourite strains I can get locally I have some right now and I love it. Im subbed. Nice clean tent too bro i like a clean room.

You got a super nice setup man ! Seeing your thread is pumping up my ambitions haha ! Have you harvested any kosher kush yet ? What sort of nutes did you feed it ?

Just looking over some seedling light cycle info - came across the following in another forum:
"Plants have a free running internal bio-rhythm of 21-27 hours. In this rhythm, they need dark time. Cuttings have a built in daily rhythm (age also) that they inherit from their parent. Cuttings will root better with a 6 hours to 8 hourdark period because this is the main time when leaves and the stems transfer energy down to the root zone for storage and growth."

The chart has hours of light per day on the bottom, and length of roots in millimeters.
-@ 4hours of light the roots after ten days were only 22mm long
-@ 8 hours of light after 10 days the roots were 25 mm long
-@12 hours of light we shoot up to 40mm long
-@16 hours it peaks at 50mm
-@20 hours it drops down to 37mm
-@ 24 hours it drops down to 29mm

There is also info regarding root to yeild ratio vs veg to yield ratio, and draws the conclusion that at the end of the experiments the root to yield ratio was higher"

Is there any truth to this ? I was under the impression that 24hour light for first few weeks would be the way to go. I don't want to stun root growth at such an early stage - would be better to switch to a 16/8 or 18/6 cycle to promote optimal root growth? Or should I just stick to 24 hour light period for the time being ?

Thanks!
AP

Just took a couple snaps of the seedlings - now roughly 4.5 days after germination / transplant to root riot cubes.

photo420.JPG
photo519.JPG
photo617.JPG
photo333.JPG

Im fairly happy with the root development - but would love some inpur in regards to height: Do they look OK or are they stretching too much ?

Also, is the use of any root promoter likely to do more harm than good whilst sat in the cubes ?

Any advice much appreciated !

:Namaste:

Your setup looks great Alpha. I'm in! Best of luck bud :thumb:
Thanks dude !

Just looked at your setup - looking nice - I kinda wish I had gotten a selection of seeds like you; but wanted to try and be consistent the first time around! Looks like youre going to be spoilt for choice for the next few cycles ;)

Our systems actually look extremely similar function wise !

I think you transferred your seedlings to pots about 7 days after sprouting ?

Also, what sort of flow rate did you have from your water lines going into pots ? I installed a valve thats pretty good but no idea what to set it at.... Also grabbed myself some 4 liter per hour drippers just in case ;) You got any suggestions ?

Wish you the best of luck with your grow bro !

You got a super nice setup man ! Seeing your thread is pumping up my ambitions haha ! Have you harvested any kosher kush yet ? What sort of nutes did you feed it ?

Sorry bro I meant its one of the strains that is on the street where I live. Once I put two and two to gather it was to late for me to pick up the strain although I dont go for 10 week strains im impatient lolz.

As far as nutes im an advanced nutrient guy.

Im glad u like my set up thank u my friend~!

So I checked my root cubes this morning and root growth seems to have progressed nicely ! Got tons of roots sticking out from the sides and bottom of cubes now! Will try and update some pics when I get home!

is it too early to feed starter nutes that came with cubes and propagator ?

Also, at e moment I've only got a dual spectrum bulb 600w bulb - should I leave them under a 250cfl without reflector and buy a veg bulb instead ?

Any hints much appreciated !

AP

Back
Top Bottom