First Solo Grow - DWC Kosher Kush

The Foil is not good Like X said. Im no expert
but you may need to look on the bottom of your
leafs to see if you see anything moving or any type
webbing. Spider mites will make them
very unhappy.

Will remove the foil as soon as i get home in an hour or two - did check very thoroughly for webbing and/or anything moving but havent seen anything. een looking for such activity since day 1 of growing - call it OCD - and everything seems good on that front.

Still trying to figure out what could have contributed to the result i have at the moment =/

These great people on this forum will help you get to the bottom
of it. X posted a link to your journal on his and im sure you will get
some great help. Keep your head up, we all make mistakes.
Love your setup by the way.

Thanks for the encouragement man ! ts great not to feel alone when s88t hits the fan lol !
[BNice to hear that you like the setup - took me ages to decide what to get - the only thing i want to improve in the near future, is to build the RDWC bucket system myself from scrap. The seals on the kit i bought suck and took some major work to get sealed properly - makes it very fragile in terms of moving anything around possibly causing a leak - but fixed for the time being.[/B]
Apart from that want a co2 system... but we can all dream haha :p

Thanks for the encouragement man ! ts great not to feel alone when s88t hits the fan lol !
[BNice to hear that you like the setup - took me ages to decide what to get - the only thing i want to improve in the near future, is to build the RDWC bucket system myself from scrap. The seals on the kit i bought suck and took some major work to get sealed properly - makes it very fragile in terms of moving anything around possibly causing a leak - but fixed for the time being.[/B]
Apart from that want a co2 system... but we can all dream haha :p
You can make a easy and cheap diy co2 system. There are some on here that do it.

Do a complete flush and see how that works.
Im sure when people see the link on X's Journal
you will get the right answers.
Will do so when i get home --> in regards to spider mites - are they visible to the human eye - ve been looking every day but have seen nothing suspicious... Also been looking out for webbing but also not seen anything tell tale - saw a piece of dust or teo a couple times - but removed and placed on paper and looked at under bright light and am sure that it was just dust that got in the tent somehow...

Spider mites are very small.
marijuana-spidermites-infested-5.jpg

I hope its not them.

Spider mites are very small.
marijuana-spidermites-infested-5.jpg

I hope its not them.

Now that i come to think of it - the worst affected plant has displayed something which i attributed to my cat. When doing some checking about 10 days ago, my cat sneaked through my legs and took a small bite on one of the leaves... it tore a tiny bit off one of the leaves and a leaf or two around it have (if i remember correctly) a very small hole on it - i thought maybe my cat scratched it... could this be from spider mite bites ?!

Dying to finish my last 15 minutes at work so i can run home and investigate. f it is indeed spider mitees- can such rapid progression really happen in a 6 hour period ? They looked just about perfectly healthy before i saw them drooping...

Hi Alpha, It sounds like your conditions are perfect so I would think it has something to do with either the chiller or the ph down you added directly to the res. You have to dilute it a bit(1 litre of water) it takes several hrs to blend in with the nute solution so it is very possible that they got a concentrated dose to the roots, it also has a bad effect on the nutes when you mix ph down directly to the res. did you notice any white clouds when you added the drops? Did you run a high concentration of h2o2 water through the chiller before you hooked it up? How long did it sit before you got it? There could of been mold or something in it.Get rid of the foil and pick up some panda film, cut your circles with a slit and place them white side up, this will reflect the light evenly and stop any algea from building up.the foil is a no no it will cause hotspots 100%.I personally have never used AN's base nutes before but ive read alot of mixed reviews about it so I stay away from it.up until my current grow I was a Gh flora guy, this round I switched to BPN's High Yield System and so far its hands down the most stable stuff Ive ever used. Shipping for me was $200 for the kit but the kit was only $140 for a total of $340. On average with Gh flora and all the addatives I used before each round was costing me well over $400 so even with shipping to Canada BPN is cheaper and so far imo better.Personally I would take the girls out of the system, dump a ton of h2o2 into the res and run it for a good hr. Drain everything and then dry everything to make sure you got all the h2o2 out of there and start over with a 1/4 strength solution for a bit and see what happens.You mentioned in your intro that you feel soil is more forgiving than hydro. I have to disagree with you there especially if your going organic, once the soils mixed you cant get the nutes out, with hydro its as simple as adding more water to dilute the solution.For something like this to happen this quickly it has to be caused by one of the recent changes you made.If your thermo is off and the water is colder than you think that could also cause problems quickly, I hope you figure it out im kinda stumped on this one. Im subbed up and will stop by from time to time to see how things are going.:goodluck:

I don't think spider mites personally, or you'd probably have noticed other signs. But, definitely look them over for bugs good again. I've avoided mites so far, so I'm no expert on them.

This is minor and shouldn't be a factor in your problem, but in the future I wouldn't adjust 5.9 ph. It's almost perfect. There are many ranges given for ideal hydroponic PH, but the most common I see would be between about 5.5 to 6.2, with 5.8 being the number where most nutrients are able to be effectively used by the plants. In veg, it's commonly thought the higher end of that range is best, where in bloom the lower. For your plants right now, 5.9 is an ideal PH especially if it's not locked in there every day. To that point:

It's also important to let the PH travel through a range as some nutrients are more available to the plants at say 5.9 than 5.5. So if you can, start it around 5.5 or 5.6, then let it raise to about 6.1 or 6.2 before adjusting down. Feel free to let it stay at 6.0 for a day or two, for example, if it's stable there. The fluctuation is good and necessary as long as it's in that general range. For example, you don't want it to be always one number, just in that range and only adjusted when it gets to the outer limits.

Okay, back to your pressing issue: can you refresh my/our memory as to your nutrients and everything that's going into your reservoir right now?

AP -

Hope you don't mind, but I put a link to your journal in my journal to try to get more eyes on your issue for you... I want you to get some peace of mind over this so you aren't stressing - I know what it's like to be worried over your plants. :goodluck:

As X said...came by to take a peek. Welcome to :420:
First, Spider Mites...if you see webs, YOU ARE TOO LATE!..if not, keep an eye out for white spotting on the tops of your leaves..if you see them, look on the bottom side...thats where they live and lay their eggs. I don't think from what I have read that they are your problem.
pest21.jpg

Second, Adding PH adjusting liquid directly into the res is never a good idea...Jon had the direction I would follow...flush, check your roots for any sign of brown/yellow slime...if you find it you will need to get it gone asap.

Lastly...I want to welcome you to the best community of like minded folks on the planet. In less than a year, I have more than doubled my knowledge of cannabis cultivation. I have had my share of failures as well as successes, and some in just the past few months...good luck with your grow...I'll be available to answer any questions I can help you with...One of the things I used to think was if some is good, more must be better, not necessarily...I killed some plants a few years ago by over-fertilizing because of that kind of thinking...wish I had been here at :420: first. :cheesygrinsmiley:
:tokin:

AP -

Hope you don't mind, but I put a link to your journal in my journal to try to get more eyes on your issue for you... I want you to get some peace of mind over this so you aren't stressing - I know what it's like to be worried over your plants. :goodluck:
I dont mind at all - the extra attention is more than welcome - and I am humbled by your link =)

I don't think spider mites personally, or you'd probably have noticed other signs. But, definitely look them over for bugs good again. I've avoided mites so far, so I'm no expert on them.

This is minor and shouldn't be a factor in your problem, but in the future I wouldn't adjust 5.9 ph. It's almost perfect. There are many ranges given for ideal hydroponic PH, but the most common I see would be between about 5.5 to 6.2, with 5.8 being the number where most nutrients are able to be effectively used by the plants. In veg, it's commonly thought the higher end of that range is best, where in bloom the lower. For your plants right now, 5.9 is an ideal PH especially if it's not locked in there every day. To that point:

It's also important to let the PH travel through a range as some nutrients are more available to the plants at say 5.9 than 5.5. So if you can, start it around 5.5 or 5.6, then let it raise to about 6.1 or 6.2 before adjusting down. Feel free to let it stay at 6.0 for a day or two, for example, if it's stable there. The fluctuation is good and necessary as long as it's in that general range. For example, you don't want it to be always one number, just in that range and only adjusted when it gets to the outer limits.

Okay, back to your pressing issue: can you refresh my/our memory as to your nutrients and everything that's going into your reservoir right now?

So i just got back home - and stopped to get a magnifying glass on the way... lol - took a look for mites / webs and couldnt see anything.

Having said that, the plants did look a little bit more lively - see attached images.

In terms of Nutes -
Using AN A+B veg range at the moment. As well as superthrive @ 1 drop per gallon; started this 2 weeks ago and have actually been using less than that and only applied with full res changes. Also using Voodoo juice. All done at quarter strength.

Hi Alpha, It sounds like your conditions are perfect so I would think it has something to do with either the chiller or the ph down you added directly to the res. You have to dilute it a bit(1 litre of water) it takes several hrs to blend in with the nute solution so it is very possible that they got a concentrated dose to the roots, it also has a bad effect on the nutes when you mix ph down directly to the res. did you notice any white clouds when you added the drops? Didnt notice any white clouds when i added the drops - normally dont put ph down in pure into reservoir but had a noob moment and thought it best to bring down the ph for some reason - part of me was even thinking not to do it but noobism got the best of me at the timeDid you run a high concentration of h2o2 water through the chiller before you hooked it up? How long did it sit before you got it? There could of been mold or something in it.This is one thing that only occured to me after reading your post - i did briefly think of flushing it through for half an hour or so, but when i unpacked it from car the thought completely left my mind. The chiller hadnt been used for a good 2-3 months and was sitting wrapped up in a friends spare room.Get rid of the foil and pick up some panda film, cut your circles with a slit and place them white side up, this will reflect the light evenly and stop any algea from building up.the foil is a no no it will cause hotspots 100%.I personally have never used AN's base nutes before but ive read alot of mixed reviews about it so I stay away from it.up until my current grow I was a Gh flora guy, this round I switched to BPN's High Yield System and so far its hands down the most stable stuff Ive ever used. Shipping for me was $200 for the kit but the kit was only $140 for a total of $340. On average with Gh flora and all the addatives I used before each round was costing me well over $400 so even with shipping to Canada BPN is cheaper and so far imo better.Personally I would take the girls out of the system, dump a ton of h2o2 into the res and run it for a good hr. Drain everything and then dry everything to make sure you got all the h2o2 out of there and start over with a 1/4 strength solution for a bit and see what happens.I think this sounds like a good plan in any case - do you think it is enough to take the plants out and add the h2o2 and then run for an hour ? Or should i be draining whole system - putting in tap water +h2o2 and then runnign it before flush + dry + refill with nutes ? You mentioned in your intro that you feel soil is more forgiving than hydro. I have to disagree with you there especially if your going organic, once the soils mixed you cant get the nutes out, with hydro its as simple as adding more water to dilute the solution.

Just about to go buy another thermometer fpr my water as the one i used this morning seems to have dissapeared - will check it again but im fairly confident that it is around the 66-68 range.For something like this to happen this quickly it has to be caused by one of the recent changes you made.If your thermo is off and the water is colder than you think that could also cause problems quickly, I hope you figure it out im kinda stumped on this one. Im subbed up and will stop by from time to time to see how things are going.:goodluck:

PS - Thanks for subbing and all the helpful advice youve given me along with everyoneelse - it feels good to know that some people out there with tons of great experience are providing opinions and suggestions as a novice grower like myself can feel lonely real quick =))

Glad its not spider mites. Now the better growers are here they will
help you get it fixed. There all good people.

Thanks man ! I was mighty glad too - I had all thoughts of nasties crawling all over the plants running through my mind lol !

Edit to add:
The only thing I was able to find was this spot :
spot13.JPG
No idea what it is but going to do some reading in a little bit....

and re. the above mentioned cat accident - he normally doesnt get anywhere near the tent - but being a Bengal cat he thinks he master hunter and on this occassion managed to hide in the room housing the tent.... and waited patiently until I was tending to the far corner plant when he leapt out and tried to bite one of the leaves - here are the scratches i think he left behind in the incident.... (cleaned it later with water just to be sure...)

photo_JPholescatG.JPG

So here we have the before pics - taken about 11 hours ago on my iphone (sorry!) And the after pics taken about 20 minutes ago with my camera...
Before:
beforephoto1.JPG
before4photo.JPG
before2photo.JPG
before3photo.JPG

And after (in the same order)
IMGP0228.JPG
IMGP02311.JPG
IMGP0229.JPG
IMGP0230.JPG

Plant pictured first seems to have recovered A LOT ? Or maybe its my wishful thinking... The other two seem much better also but the last one (with ducting in pic) still looks quite sorry ?

So from all the feedback I have gathered thus far I plan on doign the following in the next hour or so ....
-Take plants out and set to side.
-Add BIG dose of H202 to system and flush everything for 30-60 mins
-Empty entire system dry as good as possible... add quarter full with tap water to flush out anything left and then empty and will with 1/4 strength nutes.
---> I didnt flush chiller with h202 before hooking up to system due to my own impatience =/
-Put plants back in and add a recommended dose of AN Revive - couldnt help but wander into the local hydro shop during my lunch break... i know i know =/

Anything im forgetting in the list before I begin ?

Back
Top Bottom