first time cloner

cbgb

hey 420 . i have wanted to try cloning since my last few grows. i have done some research but would rather hear it from my friends here .......... cloning a-z ?? thanks for your help in advance !!!! :Namaste::thanks:

how in-depth into cloning do you want to get

You let me know what you need to know and I will help you I don't know how much you know so I don't know where to start

hey 85 , i dont know jack about cloning ! lol .... i have 3 plants going right now. reg seed 1 schrom x nlh and 2 silver haze. they are about 3 weeks old . so i am hoping for ladies and then would like to try a clone or two ///// thanks you

thanks

hey 420 . i have wanted to try cloning since my last few grows. i have done some research but would rather hear it from my friends here .......... cloning a-z ?? thanks for your help in advance !!!! :Namaste::thanks:

just snip a fair bit off trim lower leaves off then shave off the outer layer off the bottom inch of your stem. stick it in some soil with plastic bottom off a bottle over top to keep humidity high, make sure you spray the leaves a lot and wait around 2 weeks until you see new growth. done two myself and they looking great now. (edit) also dont put it in direct light i keep mine on a window seal that doesn't have sun shining directly onto it

There really isn't much to it. In fact, if you could go back in time and ask your great-great-great-great-grandmother how she rooted cuttings... It still works fine, lol.

I've used many - perhaps even most - of the methods and gizmos mentioned throughout the years here at the forum. No point in discussing those, since the search routine will be able to bring all that up for you. But they all pretty much work, as long as you don't get carried away with "helpful" suggestions and end up causing your cuttings to rot instead of root, lol.

OtOH, the last cutting I rooted... I was in the process of giving away a clone that had been parked for months in a 6-ounce foam coffee cup that was 75%-80% full of a soil/perlite mix (IOW, no root space). As you might expect, the thing was somewhere between 4½' and 5' tall - but without any real bulk. Only had a couple of spindly branches. So I whacked one little one (6" to 8", larger than I usually use), dropped it on the table, and planned to get right back to it. Some time later (lol) it looked like a piece of wilted lettuce. Cut the top off a ½-liter water bottle, melted a hole in the bottom, poured in the soil/perlite - along with whatever else got pushed into the pile when I was cleaning the table off - into the bottle. Used a sharp razor blade to make an angled cut (producing a "fresh" end, and with greater surface area) on the stem, then used it to scrape along the bottom inch or so of the stem. Was a RPitA because everything was so wilted. Made a hole in the top of the soil, gently worked the stem into it (again, it was wilted). Soil was a bit moist before I began and I gave it a good watering whilst gently packing the soil in around the stem. Thing wouldn't stand up on its own...

Placed it in the grow area, but in the corner so that it wasn't getting BLASTED with light. Came back a couple hours later and the cutting was standing up, waving its leaves, screaming, "Woo-Hoo, look at me!!!" and trying to drag its water bottle pot close to the center of the action!

Well... No. But it was standing up. That told me that it would be just fine. I ignored it until it drooped, then gave it some water. When it drooped again, I watered it again.

NO fancy products, NO rooting hormone, NO covering the plant with a humidity dome so I could see how well it performs when it is in rot-producing conditions, NO watering the poor little thing every time I turned around. I also chose NOT to remove half the fan leaves and chop half off the remaining ones. They're there for a reason.

In short, I gave it a good end, stuck it in a decent medium, gave it enough but not too much water, and let it get on with life. This not only allowed for root growth - it encouraged it. Cutting says (it doesn't, really ;) ), "I want to see roots and I want to see them NOW. Grow some roots and send them out in search of water and nutrients ASAP."

I looked at the bottle, IDK, ten days or so later, and saw about a 3" long root growing along the side of the water bottle. There's a bunch in there now. If I wasn't so resource-poor (and doggone lazy :rolleyes3 ), that plant-that-was-formerly-a-cutting would be in a pot of its own right now instead of still in the water bottle. Instead, I might place it in a slightly larger bottle in a month or so, where I can keep it more or less in stasis until I am ready to turn it into a large plant several months down the road.

IF you are in an area where your humidity levels are desert-low, a humidity dome is probably necessary. Even then, I wouldn't get carried away; if water is dripping off the walls, that's too humid by far. If I want to grow mold, I'll do it in its natural environment - the basement.

Likewise, IF your temperatures are a little too cool, a propagation mat - or heating pad set on low - can be a useful tool.

And IF you require dozens of clones per week in a high-production environment, well... the gizmos and cloning hormones/nutrients can be helpful in that regard. They do - when used correctly - tend to help speed things along, somewhat. But for the average personal grower, they're just not necessary. I bet your great-great-great-great-grandmother didn't have them, or your grandmother (or even your mom). They probably just took a cutting, stuck it into some soil - or a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill - and rooted it.

BtW, when making your (final) cut on the bottom of the stem, don't use scissors - this tool can pinch the stem during the act of cutting it. Use a sharp, sterile (or at least clean) razor blade.

I run a dispensary in New Mexico you can do it all elaborate like we do and everybody else does but you can do it as easy as dirt and two cups you don't need a rooting hormone it's optional

I deal mostly with breeding but if you have particular questions on any of the process I can answer to the best of my knowledge I have 12 years experience seven of them working for a dispensary

Back
Top Bottom