first time grow need some help

surfinchef

need a little help. as you can see from the plants below i am having some trouble. was hoping that someone would have some helpful tips.

INFO:

Total 3 Plants
Strain is unknown (bag seeds)
They are 30 & 31 days old
In vegetative state for 12 days now (3/25/15)
4 CFL's @100W equivalent (6500k spectrum) @ 1600 lumen each. (Total 6400 lumen)
Medium is Organic Super Soil
In 2 1/2 gallon grow pots
grow box is 22" x 22" x 44" lined with milar
4" inline exhaust fan with 4" viagrow carbon filter.
plants currently on 18/6 cycle
water every 2 - 3 days

Problem:

Currently have three plants. one is doing very well while two are looking better than what they were still are in poor shape. My initial suspected problem was over watering so i havent watered the two problem plants for a while to dry out soil thoroughly. but this is my first grow and i feel i need some expert advice to save these plants. unfortunately i am out of ph testing strips and will be getting them in a couple days when i get paid. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also on a side note i see two gnats flying around in box. any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

The problem plants:

20150324_234837.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234801.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234728.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234717.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234739.jpg

Additional pictures. hope you enjoy.

20150324_234851.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234949.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_234917.jpg

<b/r>

20150324_235019.jpg

<b/r>

20150305_195158.jpg

<b/r>

20150305_195120.jpg

<b/r>

20150305_195104.jpg

It looks like overwatering to me. They would do better in smaller pots, and transplant up one stage at a time. But that's a choice and the big pots are ok as long as you're careful not to overwater. Just water when the pot is quite light to lift. Manicure or water to touch up the surface as needed to even out the soil moisture, when there's a large imbalance between surface and bottom moisture levels (if you understand what I mean lol), but the wet to dry cycle is very important so generally don't water till they need it. You will need a ph tester for sure too.

I would start with cleaning the lower leaves touching the dirt just take them off. And ya looks like they were over watered let them dry out some.
What are you feeding them ?
Whats your PH ?

yeah i did that after taking the picture.

ran out of ph tester about two weeks ago getting more when i get paid.

right now just watering them with filtered tap water. i am using super soil and was planning on manicuring the top of the pot with super soil now that so much has settled.

It looks like overwatering to me. They would do better in smaller pots, and transplant up one stage at a time. But that's a choice and the big pots are ok as long as you're careful not to overwater. Just water when the pot is quite light to lift. Manicure or water to touch up the surface as needed to even out the soil moisture, when there's a large imbalance between surface and bottom moisture levels (if you understand what I mean lol), but the wet to dry cycle is very important so generally don't water till they need it. You will need a ph tester for sure too.

yeah i understand what you mean.

i would use smaller pots but where i live and being on a budget i do have some restrictions. but as time goes i will take all suggestions to mind and make changes when able.

thanx

You could also drill more holes around the bottom of your bucket but that will only get you so far. Just be careful. Once the plants get to a size more appropriate to the bucket size you'll be able to soak them down and flush them no problem

well i dont want to transplant them while they are in such poor shape. i am just going to do a "proper" drying of the soil and pay closer attention to the watering. thanx for the help. i have been meaning to start a grow journal but i work like 65 hours a week so i really dont have much time. even on my day off. but i have time today and may start one.

but for the gnats? will hanging a piece of fly paper be ok?

Back
Top Bottom