First time grow questions

Bonemeal doesn't have much N in it and breaks down very slowly. The stuff I have here is 2-14-0 so very little N compared to P and no K at all. Vegging plants need something more along the line of 10-5-5. These are ratios of the percentage of each major nutrient in the total. So a 20-10-10 or 30-15-15 are all the same nutrient ratio but stronger ferts than the 10-5-5.

Any place that sells gardening supplies should have tomato fertilizers in a liquid or powder form that can be dissolved in water and fed to the plants. Tomatoes like the same kind of food that pot likes too. Make sure it's not Timed Release stuff and avoid Miracle Grow or Shultz's plant foods as they are real crap. Avoid their potting soils as well because they have time release ferts in them that will bugger up pot plants. Many ferts are made for ornamentals like flowers and not meant for plants that you will consume. They are often high in heavy metal contamination and should never be used to grow plants you will eat or smoke.

Try and get some perlite, the white crumbly stuff, and mix up to 25% of it with your soil for better drainage. Do NOT get vermiculite, expanded mica, as it doesn't work well with pot. Some peat or coco based soilless mixes work very well with pot so if you used 50% dirt, 25% perlite and 25% peat/coco you would have a happy home for your plants.

Your soil likely has enough food in it to support your plants for a while but if you see the older, bottom leaves starting to yellow you will need to feed them a fertilizer with all the major nutes, the N-P-K and also the minor nutrients like Ca(calcium), Mg(magnesium), Fe(Iron), Mn(manganese), Co(colbalt) etc. Many of these will be in the real dirt in trace amounts but not a lot.

Some ferts made to mix with water will have trace elements and be something like 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. Very cheap and a small jar of them will last a long time. Tho not ideal they will make sure your plants have some of everything it needs and you can get a decent harvest. I got a 500g jar of Part B hydroponic nutrients for $15 that I can use in flowering as a cheap substitute for Big Bud as it's NPK ratio is similar. This, made by Nutrilife, is 3-9-27 and has all the minor nutrients where Big Bud is 1-17-38 and has amino acids meant for pot plants flowers and is used with balanced flowering nutes to enhance the flower growth.

Write some of that down or print it out and take it shopping with you for reference. I'm sure you can find some things that will do the job for you.

Good luck and good growing! :passitleft:

L8r

Back
Top Bottom