First time grower, plant issues, need help please!

JubalFarmer

420 Member
What Strain is it? 2 strains, Dark Devil Auto and Diesel Auto
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
How Many Plants? 2 of each
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flower
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?DD: 3 weeks, DA: 2 weeks
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil, Fox Farms ocean forest with perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gallon grow bags
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 300w LED
Is it Air Cooled? yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 75 Fahrenheit
RH of Room/Cabinet? 60
PH of Medium or Reservoir? unknown
Any Pests? no
How Often are you Watering? every 2 to 3 days
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? fish emulsion 25% strength and Fox Farms big bloom 50% strength (or half reccomended dosage)
Size or Square Footage: 2.5' x 3' x 5.5' tall

Hello all, first time grower and first time poster here. Started with 2 feminized autoflowering varieties, Dark Devil and Diesel. Everything going ok until past couple of days. I think the first 2 photos are showing some signs of nute burn. Am I correct there?
Then the next 2 photos are stumping me. The yellowing is occurring at the lower levels of the plants.
I am seeing similar issues on both strains, all 4 plants. The Dark Devil are much smaller than the diesel and went into flowering earlier also.
I didnt fertilize for the first 4 weeks at all. Then I started with the fish emulsion with good results. Then switched to adding some Big Bloom when I was well into flowering. Today when I watered, I didnt use any nutrients at all.
Am I correct on the nute burn? What about the yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plants?

Things to note: I'm flying blind as to the pH of my soil and water. I am using well water, so no chlorine there. We drink the same water and I have been using on my vegetable garden for years. I did have some issues with low temperatures about 3 weeks ago. Grow box is in a non-heated room. I have added some heat lamps to the box to keep me around 60 at night and 75 during the day. Plants really responded to the heat lamps.

Need your help as to determining what I have going wrong here and what I can do about it.

And I threw in a picture of a Dark Devil bud looking tasty.

20190125_212229.jpg20190125_212151.jpg20190125_212044.jpg20190125_212024.jpg20190125_212006.jpg

What Strain is it? 2 strains, Dark Devil Auto and Diesel Auto
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
How Many Plants? 2 of each
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Flower
If in Flowering Stage... How Long?DD: 3 weeks, DA: 2 weeks
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? soil, Fox Farms ocean forest with perlite
If Soil... What Size Pot? 3 gallon grow bags
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 300w LED
Is it Air Cooled? yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 75 Fahrenheit
RH of Room/Cabinet? 60
PH of Medium or Reservoir? unknown
Any Pests? no
How Often are you Watering? every 2 to 3 days
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? fish emulsion 25% strength and Fox Farms big bloom 50% strength (or half reccomended dosage)
Size or Square Footage: 2.5' x 3' x 5.5' tall

Hello all, first time grower and first time poster here. Started with 2 feminized autoflowering varieties, Dark Devil and Diesel. Everything going ok until past couple of days. I think the first 2 photos are showing some signs of nute burn. Am I correct there?
Then the next 2 photos are stumping me. The yellowing is occurring at the lower levels of the plants.
I am seeing similar issues on both strains, all 4 plants. The Dark Devil are much smaller than the diesel and went into flowering earlier also.
I didnt fertilize for the first 4 weeks at all. Then I started with the fish emulsion with good results. Then switched to adding some Big Bloom when I was well into flowering. Today when I watered, I didnt use any nutrients at all.
Am I correct on the nute burn? What about the yellowing leaves at the bottom of the plants?

Things to note: I'm flying blind as to the pH of my soil and water. I am using well water, so no chlorine there. We drink the same water and I have been using on my vegetable garden for years. I did have some issues with low temperatures about 3 weeks ago. Grow box is in a non-heated room. I have added some heat lamps to the box to keep me around 60 at night and 75 during the day. Plants really responded to the heat lamps.

Need your help as to determining what I have going wrong here and what I can do about it.

And I threw in a picture of a Dark Devil bud looking tasty.

20190125_212229.jpg20190125_212151.jpg20190125_212044.jpg20190125_212024.jpg20190125_212006.jpg
nitrogen toxicity, does your soil have time released nutrients?

I flushed them this morning. Hoping that will help.
I see the toxicity/burn in the upper leaves but the yellowed lower leaves are worrying me.

The issue hasn't gotten worse since the flush.
I had been running the heat lamp 24/7 and my grow light at about 20 on and 4 off.....I've turned off the heat lamp for those 4 hours also.
Those two things combined seem to be helping.

20190127_131755.jpg20190127_131706.jpg20190127_131638.jpg

First off why do you have a 24 hrs lamp inside the tent when you are flowering and your main light is also not letting them rest. Shift to 12/12 during flowering.
Second, after 3 weeks into flowering you should be giving them full strength as it looks like you have deficiency going on in your plants.

First off why do you have a 24 hrs lamp inside the tent when you are flowering and your main light is also not letting them rest. Shift to 12/12 during flowering.
Second, after 3 weeks into flowering you should be giving them full strength as it looks like you have deficiency going on in your plants.

I am growing autos. I had read many differering opinions about light schedules with autos with some growing using a 24 on and 0 off schedule. I was going for a 20 on 4 off schedule. But, as I had already mentioned, I have an issue with low temps. To combat that in a way that is feasible for me and my situation, budget, space, etc, I have chosen to use heat lamps at the top of my grow box. Temps in my box got really low without the heat lamps, like down to 45 degrees fahrenheit. So I had let the heat lamps run constantly and that kept me around 70 degrees.

Anyone have any insight into the simultaneous issues of nute burn/high nitrogen shown in the upper leaves while yellowing on the bottoms?

This is my first grow, I expected several issues and to learn some hard lessons. Just trying to learn about what I am seeing.

I was able to use an accurate pH meter to check my well water. It's at a 6.13.
That could be a cause for concern.
Remember that well water can change from day-to-day

Remember that well water can change from day-to-day

Yes, I am very close to the water table. Well is about 20 feet deep. I theorized that it might change regularly.
ASSUMING that someone uses decent organic soil which acts like a pH buffer, is water pH that critical?

The issue hasn't gotten worse since the flush.
I had been running the heat lamp 24/7 and my grow light at about 20 on and 4 off.....I've turned off the heat lamp for those 4 hours also.
Those two things combined seem to be helping.

20190127_131755.jpg20190127_131706.jpg20190127_131638.jpg
Man she's late into her growth to suddenly get stressed, has the temperature changed a lot or something? also the purple looks like a magnesium/calcium deficiency to me or the nights are getting too cool

Man she's late into her growth to suddenly get stressed, has the temperature changed a lot or something? also the purple looks like a magnesium/calcium deficiency to me or the nights are getting too cool

I've got another of the Dark Devil growing right next to it that seems like it's the green pheno. No purpling on those leaves, but same signs of stress.
Nights were definitely getting too cool. I have fixed that now.

That one smells delicious though......

I've got another of the Dark Devil growing right next to it that seems like it's the green pheno. No purpling on those leaves, but same signs of stress.
Nights were definitely getting too cool. I have fixed that now.

That one smells delicious though......
You giving them any calcium or magnesium? I know the ocean mix usually has a lot but I guess each batch can vary

Back
Top Bottom