First time grower - Purple 'pods' or 'flowers' after 23 days?

Garthog

Outdoor GROW - 23 days from germ, purple 'pods' on top, wondering what this is?

Strain - Unknown
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative, 23 days from germ
Bucket Size - currently in 6" pots, ready to put in ground
Outdoor

DSC_02849.JPG
DSC_028310.JPG
DSC_02827.JPG
DSC_02818.JPG

That looks a lot like a male who's been exposed to low temperatures at night, but I've personally never seen a purple male, maybe its a hermie.

If you have other plants I wouldn't keep him unless you want seeds. If its a hermie you don't want seeds either way.

Sorry for double post, I'm medicated right now.

Crap - I have 4 WW E-Fem, sitting right next to them - but I don't think the WW's are anywhere near a jeopardy stage for contamination (pic below). It's gotten as low as 51 at night, but only once or twice since...if I can be 100% sure they are Male or Hermie, i'll definitely cull them.
DSC_02919.JPG

Well the purple dude is either male or hermie no doubt about that, female formations are noted by the white-translucent whisps coming out of the pods. These pods are male, they open teeny little flowers to pollenate the females via the whisps. some people call those pods bananas, or nut sacks, personally I can catch them when they look like baby grapes on a grapevine in early may. You know when you have ready to smoke bud, and theres orange or red or brown hairs on it? those are what the white-translucent whisps turn into when they stop being sexually active and dry out, only female plants have those. I'm not 100% on hermies, but that plant definitely has male aspects, I can't see any female.

it seems your WW plant is far enough from being mature that it won't be pollenated if you kill the male in question.

and 50 Fahrenheit/ 10 Celsius are the magic numbers for purple buds! I did not know that applied to males though.

Thanks so much! I'll cull today. I'm trying to do a lot of reading, but that threw me for a loop, showing so quickly. Everything I've read indicated 2 months or so before any sex attributes...is this more common? Could it be the outdoors (and it's been great weather)? Or genetically altered seeds - they were 'Freebies'...

It could be where you live, if you've only got 12-13 hours of sunlight or less the plants will think its the end of the season and begin to flower.

All cannabis strains do have their own traits though, some do show sex sooner than others.

I would say 2 months is quite a while in that respect, lots of growers switch their light cycles to 12/12 very soon after the plant has started growing, around 2 weeks. Once the plant is under 12/12 and under red light, it starts to show its sexual qualities early as its hormones are changing.

your lady is looking very green and healthy by the way, I hope to see her grow!

Yes indeed - BTW, I have 4 more of the 'Freebies', and am watching closely to see if they develop the same purple pods. As of today, they haven't, but i think they all look the same. I'll snap some more pics tomorrow...

sounds good, can't wait to see them develop. I am a new grower myself, I have been graced with a job at my local hydro store and my boss is a master grower by trade, with 10+ years experience growing medical grade cannabis. He's showing me the ropes and I've met over two dozen growers in my short time there, so much to learn, not one of those growers were doing it the same way.

I am super excited to see your females, especially if its cold enough at night for them to go so strong of a purple, i think you'll be happy with this grow :p you should think of getting your first grow journal started, its a great way to hear from people much more experienced than I. At first you might not get a lot of views or likes, but eventually you'll start getting hundreds of views and there will be people like me coming to check back.

To me it looks like an autoflower!

I just keep focusing on the banana shaped pods that have no whisps, leading me to believe they are not female calyx, theres a what looks a bit like whisps at the very tip, but to me they really look like the pods opening to pollenate.

Edit:

I keep coming back here to look at those pictures and the first few flowers look like it could be a female, but when you start to scroll down it just looks like male pods that haven't opened yet.

I think you might get more attention in the grow journals or FAQ's if you want to hear from more people

Ok, new twist - of the 4 freebies I didn't kill, it looks as if one may be female? Pics below, sorry the one is blurry, but it looks like white tendrils...
F1_27_Days.jpg
4_Freebies-4WWE-Fem_27_Days.jpg

Ok, new twist - of the 4 freebies I didn't kill, it looks as if one may be female? Pics below, sorry the one is blurry, but it looks like white tendrils... Other pic is all 8 of them at 27 days.
F1_27_Days.jpg
4_Freebies-4WWE-Fem_27_Days.jpg

Back
Top Bottom