Hawk's Outdoor Granddaddy Purple 2nd Grow Journal June 2023

Hawk518

Strain: Granddaddy Purple - Feminized
Indica Dominant: 80/20
Current Stage: Started the germination process (soaking in water) on 6/19/23.
Indoor / Outdoor: Will grow them Outdoors in fabric grow pots using FFOF.

6/19/23 - This will be my second grow attempt. Started the first grow in late April.

Since I have two 1 gallon fabric grow pots with the good Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, I decided to start up two more Granddaddy Purples. These seeds were purchased in late April and have been stored in the fridge. Started germinating two GDP seeds in a shot glass of distilled water. Put them in a dark cupboard and will check daily for the taproot. Hopefully, this second attempt will go much more smoothly than the first attempt and I won’t make as many errors that will stunt their growth. Since I don’t have a proper LED grow light, I’m thinking that as soon as they have a decent sized taproot, I’ll plant them directly into the 1 gallon fabric grow pots outside and see how it goes.

As always, any tips, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6/21/23 - Both seeds have cracked open and taproots can be seen. Keeping them in the shot glass of water in a cupboard for a bit longer for the taproots to grow more before planting in soil.
I put my seeds in a damp paper towel. Not sure if it matters or not.

You are off and running @Hawk518

Some growers will place a seed with a small taproot in soil, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Other growers like myself will only leave the seed in the water for 24 hours or over night. Then place them into a moisten paper towel to crack the shell if it is not cracked already. By placing it in a moist paper towel it will aloud the taproot a safe environment to grow longer.
And, still other grower like to sow the seed directly into the soil.

Either way is find; what ever works for you.

Mind if I tag along?

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

Some growers will place a seed with a small taproot in soil, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Other growers like myself will only leave the seed in the water for 24 hours or over night. Then place them into a moisten paper towel to crack the shell if it is not cracked already. By placing it in a moist paper towel it will aloud the taproot a safe environment to grow longer.
And, still other grower like to sow the seed directly into the soil.

Either way is find; what ever works for you.

Mind if I tag along?

Thanks so much for your post! I think I'm going to skip the paper towel method just cause I don't want the possibility of accidentally breaking off the taproots while transferring them from shot glass to paper towel to soil.

Also, Yes! please tag along! I need / appreciate all the help I can get. Still very much a newbie trying to figure this all out. As shown in my first grow journal which is about two months old now, I've made a lot of rookie mistakes that have somewhat stunted their growth. My first two plants are much smaller than they should be at their age...

Thanks again for all your input to my grow journals and nonstop questions! Greatly appreciated!! I've even used a couple of your signature links in my signature. Thanks so much!
Your welcome I got them off the forum. I am glad I could help in some way.

Let me give you a little advice about grow weed.
You can't make it grow faster than it wants to.

Growing is not a race to the finish line, it about smelling the flowers along the way. :yahoo:

If you want this grow to surprise you, I need something.
Lots of question and images, and don't make any sudden changes.

How much and how often, how are you using @GeoFlora Nutrients?
Are you adding anything else?

I may end up asking you more questions.

Are you ready to start?

Tok..

Edit: I just started a grow using @GeoFlora Nutrients a couple days ago.

Let me give you a little advice about grow weed.
You can't make it grow faster than it wants to.

Growing is not a race to the finish line, it about smelling the flowers along the way. :yahoo:

If you want this grow to surprise you, I need something.
Lots of question and images, and don't make any sudden changes.

How much and how often, how are you using @GeoFlora Nutrients?
Are you adding anything else?

I may end up asking you more questions.

Are you ready to start?

Tok..

6/24/23 – Definitely read to start! Thanks so much for the input.

For Grow #1 - I’ve used the GeoFlora for the two plants that I started in late April. I’ve only given them 2.5 feedings so far. Feed them every two weeks. I’ve given them the amount that GeoFlora suggests (except the first time when I gave them a half dose). Started later than I probably should have due to other issues w. the plants. I haven’t added anything else.

For Grow #2, I just planted the seeds in the 1 gallon fabric grow pot soil yesterday. Won’t give them any GeoFlora for a while still – til the cotyledons start to wither.

6/23/23 - Taproots are big enough now to get them out of the shotglass. Planted both GDP seeds in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. Using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil mixed w. perlite. Still extremely wet outside, so keeping them inside til The Rains stop. Placed them on a heating mat w. my weak LED wand lights on. Hoping to be able to bring them outside for sunlight very soon.

GDP__06_23_2023_01.jpg

GDP__06_23_2023_02.PNG

GDP__06_23_2023_03.jpg

6/26/23 - One of the GDP seedlings is about an inch tall while the other GDP seedling still hasn’t broken thru the surface of the soil. At this point they are both inside on a heating mat w. the weak wand LED light on them. Hoping to put them outside in the near future. Holding off cause of lots of rain and want both to have broken thru the soil.

GDP__06_26_2023_01.jpg

GDP__06_26_2023_02.jpg

GDP__06_26_2023_03.jpg

6/27/23 - One GDP looks like it’s doing well, the other is still lost in the soil. Poked around the soil and found the taproot/seed. Now it’s very close to the surface. Continue to mist them twice a day and keep them under the LED light. Hoping to bring them outside soon. Don’t want them getting leggy again!

6/28/23 - Brought them outside in the late afternoon. Not in direct sunlight. Hoping that they’ll do much better with real sunlight than the weak LED I’ve been using. Can see the 2nd GDP stem trying to get out of the soil now. Amazed at the difference between these two GDP seeds – one is still trying to break the soil and the other is a couple inches. At least last time there was such a difference, I thought it was due to the different types of seeds. But this time, they’re the same seed strain.

GDP__06_28_2023_01.jpg

GDP__06_28_2023_02.jpg

7/12/23 - Returned from 9 days out of town. Grow #2 is dead. RIP. One GDP never really got out from the soil. The other one was a couple inches big when I left. It was totally withered when I returned. My guess is that I put them outside too quickly and they might have just burned up in the intense heat. Luckily, I still have Grow #1.

Now the Question is: Do I try a Grow #3?

GDP__07_12_2023_01a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom