Flying High With Hawk - 2024 Grow Journal

4/1/24
Was extremely surprised to find that the inside of the humidity dome was WAY too hot (about 90 degrees), even though the heating mat was set at 78. Removed the heating mat and will check again to see if the temp has dropped to a proper temp.

Checked a couple hours later – Temp at 87 and RH at 77%. Dimmed the light a bit more.

4/2/24
Added some water to the propagation tray. Temp and RH seemed to be ok. Turned the light from 25% back to 50%. Looks like the BBG#2 seed has broken the surface.

Still nothing from BBG#1…

4Kingdoms__04_02_2024_02.jpg

4/4/24
Still trying to get temperature / humidity set. Right now it's all over the place!

Turned LED back from 25% to 50%. Took off the humidity dome. Watered the rockwool cubes.

When checked it again a few hours later, the humidity had dropped quite a bit and the temp had risen quite a bit! Will have to set up the humidifier in the tent. And a fan.

4Kingdoms__04_04_2024_02.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_04_2024_03a.jpg

3/19/24 - FINALLY pulled the trigger and bought a Vivosun 48″ x 48″ x 80″ Grow Tent and a Vivosun VS4000 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Board 400W. Probably way more than I need, but I figure at some point in the near future, I'm going to want to grow four plants during the winter season.

As soon as the seeds become seedlings, I'll place them in the tent.
You'll never regret the purchase

4/5/24
Temp / humidity still all over the place depending on if have the light at 25% or 50% and if I leave the humidity dome on or off.

Took the humidity dome off and added a fan and a humidifier to the tent. Checked to see if the Short Nepali Auto had any roots coming out of the rockwool cube yet and was amazed that there were a LOT of roots visible. Will have to plant the cubes in fabric grow pots tomorrow. Thinking I’ll put the two Autos in 7 gallon pots and the 2 Photos in 1 gallon pots for now. Will have to keep them all in the tent for a while still. Probably at least another month before they can go outside, so Really need to get the temp / humidity under control!! These pics are about 12 hours apart.

4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_02.jpg

4/5/24
Temp / humidity still all over the place depending on if have the light at 25% or 50% and if I leave the humidity dome on or off.

Took the humidity dome off and added a fan and a humidifier to the tent. Checked to see if the Short Nepali Auto had any roots coming out of the rockwool cube yet and was amazed that there were a LOT of roots visible. Will have to plant the cubes in fabric grow pots tomorrow. Thinking I’ll put the two Autos in 7 gallon pots and the 2 Photos in 1 gallon pots for now. Will have to keep them all in the tent for a while still. Probably at least another month before they can go outside, so Really need to get the temp / humidity under control!! These pics are about 12 hours apart.

4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_02.jpg
You feeding g them yet?
They've got their first true leaves, and there's nothing for them to eat in that rockwool.

4/6/24
This is Day 19 since I put the seeds in water. Still trying to fix the humidity / temps in the tent. Think the temp is fine and getting closer w. humidity. I don’t know, the seedlings still look very small to me. Guessing the humidity fluctuations might be stunting them?

Ordered the Island Herbz Starter Cure Kit. 4 lids that are airtight on mason jars and have a digital display of the Temp & Humidity. SO cool. Can’t wait to try them out.

4Kingdoms__04_06_2024_01a.jpg

4/7/24
Day 20. Temp is fine, Humidity is all over the place. Might just have to buy a fancy humidifier that can set the humidity temp.

Transplanted the seedlings. Put the two Photos in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. Put the two Autos in 7 gallon fabric grow pots. Used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, perlite, and mycorrhizal fungi. Added some growth powder to the rockwool cubes and topped them all off w. worm castings. Put them in the tent. The 20 inch saucers are ridiculously large! But who knows, maybe I’ll try a grow pot big enough to fit at some point. Added two fans to the tent, along w. the humidifier. The Autos look TINY in those 7 gallon grow pots!

4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_07.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_08.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_09.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_10.jpg

Did you mention previously why you only filled the 7g pots halfway?
I threw my back out a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, my sciatica has been excruciating.

The half-filled 7 gallons were all I could carry at that point. Do you think I should fill the pots properly now or will it be too much shock for the two Autos? I figure I can add more to the photos in the 1 gallon pots or just wait til their eventual transplant.

I'm thinking that by the time the autos get tall enough to add more soil it might not be the time you want it making new roots along the buried stem.
I'm guessing that the Autos roots couldn't have grown that much since I planted them. I'd have to dig out the Autos, add the soil, then transplant them back into the 7 gallon grow pots. Or is that crazy at this point?

4/15/24
Day 28. Finally got a chance to do some work on my tent. Set humidity to 70% on the new humidifier. Added another fan. Attempted to fix the two Autos: dug them out w. all roots intact, added a LOT of Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and Perlite to the 7-gallon grow pots.

Fed all 4 plants their first dose of GeoFlora Veg – 2 Tbs each to the 1-gallon Photos and 2/3 cup each to the 7-gallon Autos. Gave all of them a thorough watering. Hopefully, they’ll all respond well.

Am I right that I can top one of my Photos at this point? Sure looks like it!

4Kingdoms__04_15_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_15_2024_02.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_15_2024_03.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_15_2024_04.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_15_2024_05.jpg

I’d love someone to talk me thru this and give their opinion / advice.

I just bought a 4x4 Vivosun tent and a 400W Vivosun LED Light. I have a new Spider Farmer 6” fan / carbon filter as well. I was going to set up the SF ventilation system, then realized that then I couldn’t use the Vivosun smart controller.

Am I crazy to want to try to sell the new Spider Farmer just so I can buy the system from Vivosun and then use a smart controller? Are the smart controllers worth the hassle? It sounds wonderful to be able to control everything from outside the tent, but I’ve never used one before.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom