Hawk's Outdoor Granddaddy Purple & THC Bomb Grow Journal - 2023

Hawk518

Strain: Granddaddy Purple - Feminized
Indica Dominant: 80/20

Strain: THC Bomb - Feminized
Hybrid: 50/50 (even though it’s listed as Indica Dominant)

Current Stage: Started the germination process (soaking in water) on 4/25/23.
Indoor / Outdoor: Hoping to try growing Outdoor in soil for this first attempt

And so it begins…

This is my first attempt at growing and first Grow Journal. I’m including info already posted in the Intro Forum.

I live in Northern Virginia and am a total newbie to the cannabis game. Got a medicinal certificate in August and have been vaping ever since. It’s the Only thing that helps with my chronic migraines.

Thought it would be fun to attempt to grown my own plants. I bought 5 Granddaddy Purple feminized seeds and they added on 5 more GDP seeds and 2 THC Bomb feminized seeds for free.

I started the germination process on 4/25/23.
VA allows growing up to 4 plants / household. I’ve started with 3 seeds to see how it goes.

I plan on growing outdoors in soil for this first attempt. Want to make sure I enjoy growing as much as I think I will before pouring lots of money into all the needed supplies for an indoor set up.

I’ll start with 3 three gallon fabric pots.
Two for the THC Bomb seeds and one for the Granddaddy Purple.

As of this morning (4/27), I have taproots for all three seeds. Will wait til the taproots get a bit longer before planting in soil.

Strain: Granddaddy Purple - Feminized
Indica Dominant: 80/20

Strain: THC Bomb - Feminized
Hybrid: 50/50 (even though it’s listed as Indica Dominant)

Current Stage: Started the germination process (soaking in water) on 4/25/23.
Indoor / Outdoor: Hoping to try growing Outdoor in soil for this first attempt

And so it begins…

This is my first attempt at growing and first Grow Journal. I’m including info already posted in the Intro Forum.

I live in Northern Virginia and am a total newbie to the cannabis game. Got a medicinal certificate in August and have been vaping ever since. It’s the Only thing that helps with my chronic migraines.

Thought it would be fun to attempt to grown my own plants. I bought 5 Granddaddy Purple feminized seeds and they added on 5 more GDP seeds and 2 THC Bomb feminized seeds for free.

I started the germination process on 4/25/23.
VA allows growing up to 4 plants / household. I’ve started with 3 seeds to see how it goes.

I plan on growing outdoors in soil for this first attempt. Want to make sure I enjoy growing as much as I think I will before pouring lots of money into all the needed supplies for an indoor set up.

I’ll start with 3 three gallon fabric pots.
Two for the THC Bomb seeds and one for the Granddaddy Purple.

As of this morning (4/27), I have taproots for all three seeds. Will wait til the taproots get a bit longer before planting in soil.
Hey Amigo welcome to 420Magazine.
Mind if I follow along?

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

After 72 hours in water, I planted the 3 seeds in cow pots using Jiffy Seed Starting Mix as the soil. I’ve put plastic baggies around each of the pots to keep in moisture and plan on giving them up to 18 hours of light / day. Hopefully, the seedlings will spout from the soil in a … couple days?

If I’m doing anything crazy, please let me know. I’ve read a ton of articles, but still feel totally clueless.

GDP_THC Bomb Seeds_04_28_2023.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

Soil_Seeds_01.jpg

After 72 hours in water, I planted the 3 seeds in cow pots using Jiffy Seed Starting Mix as the soil. I’ve put plastic baggies around each of the pots to keep in moisture and plan on giving them up to 18 hours of light / day. Hopefully, the seedlings will spout from the soil in a … couple days?

If I’m doing anything crazy, please let me know. I’ve read a ton of articles, but still feel totally clueless.

GDP_THC Bomb Seeds_04_28_2023.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

Soil_Seeds_01.jpg
Good morning my friend, hope everything is going well.
Here is what I do, 15/15 last run.
I soak my seeds in water with 10% h202, just cheap stuff from the dollar store.
18 hrs maximum. ;)
Any more than 18 hrs there's a chance of drowning.
Then they need heat, air and moisture to pop a tail.
I use moist paper towel on a heat pad, 24 - 26 c or so.
Until a tail appears.
Then they go tail down into my coco, seed pod at surface.
It's all documented at the beginning of my VIVOHUT grow.
Have a look.
Let me know if you have questions.
Anything at all, don't hesitate to ask if your not sure.

20230122_171205.jpg

20230123_193659.jpg

20230123_195705.jpg

20230125_081613.jpg

Screenshot_20230125-081817_Gallery.jpg

20230125_180014.jpg

20230125_180812.jpg

20230125_180836.jpg

20230125_181533.jpg

20230125_182044.jpg

Bill284 😎

All 3 seedlings have now broken thru the dirt. The three pots are still on a heating mat. I will continue watering them 2x / day and leave the blue LED light on for 18 hours / day. Anything else I need to do at this point or just wait for them to grow big enough to transfer to 3 gallons pots? Also, I'm using this LED light (stats in 3rd pic) til I can bring the plants outside for sunlight. Is this LED any good for this stage of growth?

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

just be aware cow manure is really hot. it will burn plants up if not composted well. also there's mixed results on pots that are supposed to break down in the soil. if the roots bottle they will stunt.

One of the THC Bombs and the GDP are now totally out of the dirt. There’s a bit of a stem w. leaves. The other THC Bomb is still barely out of the soil and still a bit curled. The temp gauges seem a bit all over the place. Guess you get what you pay for. The temp seems fine but the humidity is low. Will hopefully fix this today when the domed seed trays arrive. Watered and added indoor plant food since there really wasn’t much if any in the soil I used. Gave each of them a dropper of diluted grow food.

Wondering if I’ve already made a mess of these 3 plants. They’re still on a heating mat, still watering 2x a day and still leaving the LED lights on 18 hours a day w. the blue spectrum. Thoughts?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_05_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_05_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_05_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_05_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_04_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_04_2023_05.jpg

oh no ... i'd invest in cannabis nutes. give them the best shot you can and they'll respond for you.

edit : you might wanna leave them alone for a bit. i'm not exact on your media, but it looks a bit dense and wet, and likely has some nutes in it.

oh no ... i'd invest in cannabis nutes. give them the best shot you can and they'll respond for you.

edit : you might wanna leave them alone for a bit. i'm not exact on your media, but it looks a bit dense and wet, and likely has some nutes in it.
Thanks so much for the reply. Can I ask what nutes you use / recommend? I'm looking for the easiest to use that isn't crazy expensive. There are SO many different options!

The media I'm using is just a seed starting mix. Think I have a picture in this thread. And not normally so wet, took the picture right after watering/misting.

As you can probably guess, I'm totally new to this (as well as new to gardening).

Thanks again!

The THC Bomb and GDP are a couple inches tall now. The other THC Bomb is still the same – struggling to make it out of the dirt. Any suggestions on what I can do to save this one? Also, do the two look ok or are they considered too stretchy (I think that's the right term)?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_06_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_06_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_06_2023_03.PNG

just give it a lift with a toothpick if worried.

Thanks so much for the reply. Can I ask what nutes you use / recommend? I'm looking for the easiest to use that isn't crazy expensive. There are SO many different options!

i run mega crop at the moment. it's super easy. you can do one part or two. i have a pile of an older formula single part i'm still running.

probably the easiest nute to use. you can run an entire grow on just that alone. i shoot for simplicity

The media I'm using is just a seed starting mix. Think I have a picture in this thread. And not normally so wet, took the picture right after watering/misting.

you're going to need a standard cannabis soil to up pot to very soon. there are lots of good ones out there. if you plan on feeding i can recommend sunshine #4 or hp promix. they are standard go to media.

As you can probably guess, I'm totally new to this (as well as new to gardening).

we all start somewhere.

edit : if you're going outdoor will you go straight in the ground or stay in pots ?

Good morning my friend, hope everything is going well.
Here is what I do, 15/15 last run.
I soak my seeds in water with 10% h202, just cheap stuff from the dollar store.
18 hrs maximum. ;)
Any more than 18 hrs there's a chance of drowning.
Then they need heat, air and moisture to pop a tail.
I use moist paper towel on a heat pad, 24 - 26 c or so.
Until a tail appears.
Then they go tail down into my coco, seed pod at surface.
It's all documented at the beginning of my VIVOHUT grow.
Have a look.
Let me know if you have questions.
Anything at all, don't hesitate to ask if your not sure.

20230122_171205.jpg

20230123_193659.jpg

20230123_195705.jpg

20230125_081613.jpg

Screenshot_20230125-081817_Gallery.jpg

20230125_180014.jpg

20230125_180812.jpg

20230125_180836.jpg

20230125_181533.jpg

20230125_182044.jpg

Bill284 😎
Bill is one hell of a guy and always there for help you are lucky to have him following your grow.

First off, THANK YOU all for the great advice!

I know I stepped in before asking but I hope you do not mind me tagging along.
Yes! Please! Follow along! All help is greatly appreciated!

I’ve been obsessing with the idea of growing and even though I’m reading a lot of articles, I still feel totally clueless. I apologize in advance for the possible insane amount of questions.

edit : if you're going outdoor will you go straight in the ground or stay in pots ?
Had planned on going outside on this first attempt since I haven’t decided if I want to spend a ton of cash for a grow tent and equipment. Want to make sure I enjoy this as much as I’m hoping I will. I’ll stay in the 3 gallon fabric pots. Had hoped to keep them on the small-medium size since our backyard is pretty visible. Checked all around the house and nowhere to plant - not enough sunlight.

First off, THANK YOU all for the great advice!

Yes! Please! Follow along! All help is greatly appreciated!

I’ve been obsessing with the idea of growing and even though I’m reading a lot of articles, I still feel totally clueless. I apologize in advance for the possible insane amount of questions.

Had planned on going outside on this first attempt since I haven’t decided if I want to spend a ton of cash for a grow tent and equipment. Want to make sure I enjoy this as much as I’m hoping I will. I’ll stay in the 3 gallon fabric pots. Had hoped to keep them on the small-medium size since our backyard is pretty visible. Checked all around the house and nowhere to plant - not enough sunlight.
Fabric pots are great you can move them if needed. I had my first plant in one before I put it in its final pot. I moved that thing all over the yard chasing the sun.

Had planned on going outside on this first attempt since I haven’t decided if I want to spend a ton of cash for a grow tent and equipment.

you'll eventually wanna move there.

Want to make sure I enjoy this as much as I’m hoping I will. I’ll stay in the 3 gallon fabric pots.

you're gonna need nutes then. if going in the ground you could get by without.

Had hoped to keep them on the small-medium size since our backyard is pretty visible. Checked all around the house and nowhere to plant - not enough sunlight.

length of the growing season will determine size. you'll need big pots. 5gal is a standard inside pot. 20 or larger is a standard outside if you wanna last the season.

if you have a shed or outbuilding you can do an inside/outside grow and run a smaller pot. go look at what @InTheShed is doing.

Misted them in the morning. They looked the same – two stretchy stems and one still trying to get out of the soil. I’ve had a fan on them since they got stretchy to try to strengthen the stems. As of 6 pm, the strong one was leaning over and the other stretchy plant was looking like it was starting to wither away. Transplanted both into 1 gallon fabric pots and buried most of their stems. Used an organic potting soil mixed w. coco coir. Even though I’d misted them this morning, they were Really dry at this point. So when trying to ensure I didn’t Over water them, it looks like I probably Under watered them! I’m guessing that these 3 didn’t get enough light which led to them getting stretchy. While waiting to take them outside for sunlight, I used a 3 wand LED w. the blue light. BUT the specs say the power has a Max of 90W, which I’m guessing is WAY too low. Will try to start acclimating them to outside sunshine tomorrow morning for a couple hours. Will keep them out of direct sunlight so they won’t be shocked too much.

From the mess I’ve made of these three, you’d never know that I’ve read a ridiculous amount of articles & watched a lot of YouTube vids, etc,

At this point, I’m thinking that if any of these three survive, it will be a major Victory. ANY advice on how to potentially save these plants??

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_05.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_06.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_07.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_08.jpg

Misted them in the morning. They looked the same – two stretchy stems and one still trying to get out of the soil. I’ve had a fan on them since they got stretchy to try to strengthen the stems. As of 6 pm, the strong one was leaning over and the other stretchy plant was looking like it was starting to wither away. Transplanted both into 1 gallon fabric pots and buried most of their stems. Used an organic potting soil mixed w. coco coir. Even though I’d misted them this morning, they were Really dry at this point. So when trying to ensure I didn’t Over water them, it looks like I probably Under watered them! I’m guessing that these 3 didn’t get enough light which led to them getting stretchy. While waiting to take them outside for sunlight, I used a 3 wand LED w. the blue light. BUT the specs say the power has a Max of 90W, which I’m guessing is WAY too low. Will try to start acclimating them to outside sunshine tomorrow morning for a couple hours. Will keep them out of direct sunlight so they won’t be shocked too much.

From the mess I’ve made of these three, you’d never know that I’ve read a ridiculous amount of articles & watched a lot of YouTube vids, etc,

At this point, I’m thinking that if any of these three survive, it will be a major Victory. ANY advice on how to potentially save these plants??

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_05.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_06.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_07.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_10_2023_08.jpg
90w is fine for that stage of life! The problem is the light spectrum is not for plants so they are stretching!!
If your guna put them outside put them in the sun they need it to live!!
The leaves curling under is a sign of over watering too!

Back
Top Bottom