Hawk's Outdoor Granddaddy Purple & THC Bomb Grow Journal - 2023

90w is fine for that stage of life! The problem is the light spectrum is not for plants so they are stretching!!
Thanks for the feedback! Should the spectrum Not be blue light? There are red light and white light options too. I thought I'd read that the blue light was best for the seedling stage?

Thanks for the feedback! Should the spectrum Not be blue light? There are red light and white light options too. I thought I'd read that the blue light was best for the seedling stage?
More blue than red in the spectrum for veg yes but not just straight blue light!! 🤣
If they have a white setting use that!
If you want to finish them under lights you will need actual lighting for plants!

Leave all 3 colors on if that's an option.
They can use them all. :thumb:
Looking good. :high-five:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Put them outside this morning. They look much better since being transplanted into the 1 gallon fabric pots last night. The 3rd is STILL trying to get out of the soil after two weeks. What can be done to help #3? Anything? I don’t mind if it will be stunted w. low yield (if any), just want the practice of raising another plant.

I'll bring all three inside tonight and place them under a white LED light so they get a total of approx 18 hours / day.

GDP_THC Bomb__05_11_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_11_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_11_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_11_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_11_2023_05.jpg

5/12/23 - Putting them outside for about 12 hours a day and then inside under the LED white light for about 6 hours. The two stretchy plants seem to be doing much better. The third is STILL trying to get out of the soil. I know / realize that #3 is a lost cause, but I’d still like the practice of growing it, assuming that I can get it to sprout properly!

Any suggestions on how to help it?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_04.jpg

Hope you dont mind me jumping in too! I haven't done much soil so I can't help you much there, what I can recommend is that you look up @Emilya Green and read her articles on watering. I still haven't gotten the hang of properly watering soil (which is why im using coco now) but watering has been my single biggest downfall of growing in soil. Only other advice I can give is do not beat yourself up if/when things go wrong, no matter how much you read. Its an amazing hobby but nothing beats the actual experience of the growing pains and getting through them. Your plants will get better and your methods will get more efficient every run.

5/12/23 - Putting them outside for about 12 hours a day and then inside under the LED white light for about 6 hours. The two stretchy plants seem to be doing much better. The third is STILL trying to get out of the soil. I know / realize that #3 is a lost cause, but I’d still like the practice of growing it, assuming that I can get it to sprout properly!

Any suggestions on how to help it?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_12_2023_04.jpg
Try using something like a nail file, and gently moving it around the head of the seedling. Sometimes they just get stuck. It may be having trouble shedding the seed helmet. Work it up, and be really careful. If it has shed the seed helmet then it will grow as long as it has a grow point. If it hasn't shed the seed helmet, then you can remove it.
I started one thc Bomb about the same time as well. The seed head was stuck, I removed it, it only had one leaf, now it's doing great. I topped it last week, and it already needs topping again. Work with it, and #3 may even turn out to be your best plant.

Try using something like a nail file, and gently moving it around the head of the seedling. Sometimes they just get stuck. It may be having trouble shedding the seed helmet. Work it up, and be really careful. If it has shed the seed helmet then it will grow as long as it has a grow point. If it hasn't shed the seed helmet, then you can remove it.
I started one thc Bomb about the same time as well. The seed head was stuck, I removed it, it only had one leaf, now it's doing great. I topped it last week, and it already needs topping again. Work with it, and #3 may even turn out to be your best plant.
You sound like surgeons.

5/16/23 - It’s been 3 weeks since I started germinating the seeds. THC Bomb #2 is no longer. She had a taproot, was planted, but never got out of the soil. Shame, cause I would have loved the experience of trying to raise another plant. RIP THC Bomb #2. The other THC Bomb and GDP appear to be doing well (better) after being transplanted into 1 gallon fabric grow pots and burying their leggy stems. Also, they’ve been outside during the warm days and then under an LED light for a total of 18 hours / day. Have a fan on them while they’re inside. Finally ordered more fabric grow pots – 3, 5, 7 & 10 Gallons. Will go for either the 7 or 10 gallon when I re-pot. Also, ordered GeoFlora nutrients.

Questions:
  • At what point can I leave them outside all day and night? Is it based on the temperature, how big they are or a combination of the two? Or something else entirely?
  • When do I start giving them the GeoFlora nutes? Is this based on size or age? Or something else entirely?
Appreciate any tips / advice. Thanks!

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_05.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_06.jpg

5/16/23 - It’s been 3 weeks since I started germinating the seeds. THC Bomb #2 is no longer. She had a taproot, was planted, but never got out of the soil. Shame, cause I would have loved the experience of trying to raise another plant. RIP THC Bomb #2. The other THC Bomb and GDP appear to be doing well (better) after being transplanted into 1 gallon fabric grow pots and burying their leggy stems. Also, they’ve been outside during the warm days and then under an LED light for a total of 18 hours / day. Have a fan on them while they’re inside. Finally ordered more fabric grow pots – 3, 5, 7 & 10 Gallons. Will go for either the 7 or 10 gallon when I re-pot. Also, ordered GeoFlora nutrients.

Questions:
  • At what point can I leave them outside all day and night? Is it based on the temperature, how big they are or a combination of the two? Or something else entirely?
  • When do I start giving them the GeoFlora nutes? Is this based on size or age? Or something else entirely?
Appreciate any tips / advice. Thanks!

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_05.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_16_2023_06.jpg
You could probably leave them out now. Really, it takes warm nights for them to grow. In my opinion they need darkness nearly as much as they do light. Just beware of strong wind, and heavy rain. Although you would be surprised at just how much of a difference rain water makes. On those days when it comes a good shower, and then the sun comes out, you can almost sit back and watch them grow. I myself wouldn't worry about using a grow light, in fear that I would somehow screw up their internal clock. I believe that I recall you saying that you are in West Virginia. If so then that's a major plus. Weed grows far better at higher elevations. I'm gonna start a couple more THC Bombs this weekend, as the sign is right. I have to stealth grow here, but I saw your post and thought "man, the sky's the limit for that guy."

You could probably leave them out now. Really, it takes warm nights for them to grow. In my opinion they need darkness nearly as much as they do light. Just beware of strong wind, and heavy rain. Although you would be surprised at just how much of a difference rain water makes. On those days when it comes a good shower, and then the sun comes out, you can almost sit back and watch them grow. I myself wouldn't worry about using a grow light, in fear that I would somehow screw up their internal clock. I believe that I recall you saying that you are in West Virginia. If so then that's a major plus. Weed grows far better at higher elevations. I'm gonna start a couple more THC Bombs this weekend, as the sign is right. I have to stealth grow here, but I saw your post and thought "man, the sky's the limit for that guy."
You sound like surgeons.
It just hurts so bad to lose one. Some of the best plants that I've ever had started out hopeless.

It just hurts so bad to lose one. Some of the best plants that I've ever had started out hopeless.
Never say die. They all need a chance. It may turn out to be the best plant just needs love HeHe.

5/23/23 - It’s been one month since I started germinating the seeds. Both look good, but definitely smaller than other plants I’m seeing online at this stage.

Took both plants outside. My GeoFlora nutrients finally arrived. Mixed a little soil w. 1 Tbsp of GeoFlora Veg for each 1 gallon fabric grow pot and watered with rainwater. This is a half dose to what is suggested, but since this is the first use, I thought I’d use less in case the soil already had some nutrients. Watered til there was run off. Since I’m very new to all things gardening, do I leave the run off water in the saucer for a little bit or dump it immediately?

I figure I don’t up-pot until much larger. Will try one in a 7 gallon and the other in a 10 gallon to see how much of a difference the pot size makes.

Am I doing this correctly? Does this sound good enough that these will continue to live / grow?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_04.jpg

5/23/23 - It’s been one month since I started germinating the seeds. Both look good, but definitely smaller than other plants I’m seeing online at this stage.

Took both plants outside. My GeoFlora nutrients finally arrived. Mixed a little soil w. 1 Tbsp of GeoFlora Veg for each 1 gallon fabric grow pot and watered with rainwater. This is a half dose to what is suggested, but since this is the first use, I thought I’d use less in case the soil already had some nutrients. Watered til there was run off. Since I’m very new to all things gardening, do I leave the run off water in the saucer for a little bit or dump it immediately?

I figure I don’t up-pot until much larger. Will try one in a 7 gallon and the other in a 10 gallon to see how much of a difference the pot size makes.

Am I doing this correctly? Does this sound good enough that these will continue to live / grow?

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_23_2023_04.jpg
I use Prescription Blend but did the same thing 1/2 dose to start as they are still little and you do not want to burn them.

5/30/23 - It’s been 5 weeks since I started germinating the seeds. It’s been a week since I gave them their first dose (a half dose) of GeoFlora. Haven’t seen much of a difference yet. I plan on giving them a full dose of nutrients next week. The GDP is putting out more branches, but the THC Bomb still looks very small, especially for a 5 week old.

Also, the THC Bomb has white tips on two of its leaves. I’ve done a search on white tips and the answers are all over the place – good and bad to have white tips. So, I’ll ask here: what are the white tips a result of? Nute burn? Crazy if so, cause I’ve only given them a half dose last week of GeoFlora. What do I need to do (if anything)?

I’m still putting my plants outside during the day and bringing them in at dusk. While inside, I place them under an LED light for a couple more hours. Today, the temps will range from 49-80 F. What does the low temp have to be so that I can leave them out all night? These two plants are still in 1 gallon fabric grow pots.

GDP_THC Bomb__05_31_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_31_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_31_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_31_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__05_31_2023_05.PNG

6/13/23 - Today is 7 weeks since I started germination. They’re in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. They’re both outside 24/7. Watering with rain water. Both are still extremely small for their age. They’ve only received GeoFlora Veg for 1.5 doses. They’ll get their next dose next week. Noticed a few leaves on the GDP have marks on them. Any idea what caused them and how to fix whatever issue it is? Should I just clip the leaves w. these spots? Also, at what point should I re-pot the bigger plant? Still debating between a 5, 7 or 10 gallon fabric grow pot. But they’re both so tiny that I’m thinking a 5 gallon should be more than enough. Also, are the numbers shown in the last two pictures within acceptable ranges? Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_01.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_02.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_03.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_04.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_05.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_06.PNG

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_07.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__06_13_2023_08.jpg

You may want to top Grand Dad. That will encourage it to fork out, and be more like a bush. I usually start topping them from the first set of leaves, until it forks. If you don't then you will get just one long cola growing straight up. If you top them, or fem them, then you could get several.
Thanks! Is the GDP big enough to top??

I'm hoping to transplant the GDP from the 1 gallon to a 7 gallon very soon. Would it be too much stress to transplant and then top it? Or would I wait a bit after transplant to top?

Any ideas on the markings on the leaves? How to fix? Should I clip the affected leaves?

Sooo many questions!

Thanks! Is the GDP big enough to top??

I'm hoping to transplant the GDP from the 1 gallon to a 7 gallon very soon. Would it be too much stress to transplant and then top it? Or would I wait a bit after transplant to top?

Any ideas on the markings on the leaves? How to fix? Should I clip the affected leaves?

Sooo many questions!
I would wait until next week to top it. Right now the sign is barren, and that makes it a bad time for that. If it still has plenty of room in the pot, I wouldn't worry about transplanting it yet. You don't want too small of a plant in too big of a pot. You run into watering issues like that. As for the discoloration I'd say that you got some nitrogen burn. Watch it, and make sure that it doesn't spread. (Like to the upper leaves) Your doing fine, just remember to be patient.

6/19/23 - Decided to transplant the GDP from the 1 gallon fabric grow pot to a 7 gallon fabric grow pot. Mixed some perlite into the Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and misted the soil. Then layered the soil and perlite til the 7 gallon was filled. Had a lot left, so instead of transplanting the small THC Bomb into a 5 gallon pot, decided to do another 7 gallon pot. Still had enough FFOF soil to refill the two 1 gallon pots. Amazed at the difference between the FFOF soil and the normal potting soil. Night and day difference in quality! Gave both plants a full dose of GeoFlora nutrients. Watered the two plants with rainwater. And within 1.5 hours, it started to pour with rain. I’m hoping the thorough soaking will help them out.

The GDP still has issues w. coloration of the bottom leaves. What to do to fix this issue? Should the problem leaves be clipped or let alone?

Since I still have two 1 gallon pots with the good soil, I decided to start up with two more Granddaddy Purples. Started germinating two more seeds in a shot glass of distilled water. Put them in a dark cupboard and will check daily for the taproot. Hopefully, this 2nd attempt will go much more smoothly than the 1st attempt. Think that I’ll plant them directly into the 1 gallon pots outside and see how it goes.

Pictures taken after the rain - that's why the plant leaves are wet.

As always, any tips, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_01.PNG
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_02.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_03.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_04.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_05.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_06.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__06_19_2023_07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom