Outdoor Growing With BeezLuiz

Congrats on the new seed drop and the start to the next growing season!
I know I need to discard a few of these Amnesia, so there's two that are last to emerge from the soil. I'm going to toss those and keep the other four... for now. Also one of the three Red Dragon hasn't popped above soil yet, so I'll toss that as well.
I overheard a witch say that every seed you discard will be female and everyone you keep, male. "Double double toil and trouble" was how it started.

At this size why not keep them all and toss the weaker and males once it's clear which is which? 🧙‍♀️

I overheard a witch say that every seed you discard will be female and everyone you keep, male.
This thought crossed my mind as well. :laughtwo:
At this size why not keep them all and toss the weaker and males once it's clear which is which? 🧙‍♀️
Probably a wise thing to do. :idea:

Here's another mostly pictures update. The two outdoor plants are working on building buds and the new seedlings are working on growing.
I ended up with 10 seedlings: Amnesia-X (6), Red Dragon-X (2), and Zkittles-X (2). They are currently under 12/12 lighting so that they reveal their sex earlier. Here's the tricky part: I want to change the light schedule to 18/6 after about 10 days of 12/12, but the seedlings sprouted over a 3 day span. As of today some of the seedlings are 6 days old, and others are only 3 days old. My plan is to move the lights to 18/6 on Sept 22. At that time I'll have five plants at 13 days, one plant at 12 days, two plants at 11 days, and two plants at 10 days under the 12/12 light schedule.

Did I say mostly picture update? Ok here we go.
Sensi Cheese
The yellowing has slowed down, but not stopped. I pull off about a dozen yellow leaves each day. There may not be any leaves left by harvest time.
The buds are looking nice and frosty, and the aroma is quite nice with a sweet melon and juniper smell - nothing like cheese.

China Cat
This one is getting a few yellowing leaves, but nothing as bad as the Sensi. The weight of the buds are starting to bend the colas a bit. I've already added a stake, but more likely will follow.
I'm glad to see the pistil stigmas are starting to change color. I'm feeling good about an early October harvest. The buds don't look super frosty, but they are super sticky, and the smell is really nice too.

Even though I still have another month or more to go before my Summer grow is finished, I wanted to start some seeds.

My plan was to grow 6 regular plants in hopes of getting 3 females. The seeds are coming from my son's plants a couple seasons ago. They were pollinated by an unknown male in his neighborhood, so I only know half of the genetics. I soaked 2 Zkittlez seeds, 3 Red Dragon seeds, and 6 Amnesia seeds. I don't want this many plants. I've had difficulties germinating these regular seeds in the past. Of course, that means they all cracked and got planted.:laughtwo:
I know I need to discard a few of these Amnesia, so there's two that are last to emerge from the soil. I'm going to toss those and keep the other four... for now. Also one of the three Red Dragon hasn't popped above soil yet, so I'll toss that as well.

That will leave me with 8 plants to sex. I plan to try the @StoneOtter method of starting them under 12/12 lights for the first 10-12 days, then switching to 18/6 for the rest of veg. After about 30 days the plants should reveal their sex and I can cull out the males. I'm hoping to get these plants finished before Christmas.
Thanks for the mention! I got that from @Keffka .
Here's another mostly pictures update. The two outdoor plants are working on building buds and the new seedlings are working on growing.
I ended up with 10 seedlings: Amnesia-X (6), Red Dragon-X (2), and Zkittles-X (2). They are currently under 12/12 lighting so that they reveal their sex earlier. Here's the tricky part: I want to change the light schedule to 18/6 after about 10 days of 12/12, but the seedlings sprouted over a 3 day span. As of today some of the seedlings are 6 days old, and others are only 3 days old. My plan is to move the lights to 18/6 on Sept 22. At that time I'll have five plants at 13 days, one plant at 12 days, two plants at 11 days, and two plants at 10 days under the 12/12 light schedule.

Did I say mostly picture update? Ok here we go.
Sensi Cheese
The yellowing has slowed down, but not stopped. I pull off about a dozen yellow leaves each day. There may not be any leaves left by harvest time.
The buds are looking nice and frosty, and the aroma is quite nice with a sweet melon and juniper smell - nothing like cheese.

China Cat
This one is getting a few yellowing leaves, but nothing as bad as the Sensi. The weight of the buds are starting to bend the colas a bit. I've already added a stake, but more likely will follow.
I'm glad to see the pistil stigmas are starting to change color. I'm feeling good about an early October harvest. The buds don't look super frosty, but they are super sticky, and the smell is really nice too.
Looking good Beez! Like ducks in a row!

Those plants look great Beez! Ahh, the great outdoors. :Rasta:

Those big girls are incredible..
You didn't mention bugs, they must be leaving the ladies alone?
Seedlings look pretty darn happy too!

You didn't mention bugs, they must be leaving the ladies alone?
Yes, for the most part they have not been an issue. Just a few chewed-on leaves, but nothing major. No sign of caterpillars either. :yahoo: I've been spraying the plants with BT once a week.
Great idea letting the giant SIP self-thin the middle to catch the good airflow...you must use GDB's LazyMeter®!:welldone:
Yes, indeed! GDB should market that thing - it's great! :laugh:
The flowers are moving right along on both of them so here's to a smooth home stretch. :slide:
Thanks Shed! At this point I'm thinking early/mid October for China Cat, and November for Sensi.
Can't wait for spring to kick into gear here. Have an awesome weekend
It's just around the corner for you. I really enjoy watching your outdoor garden thrive while it's the dead of winter here. I'm really looking forward to seeing your new grow space. :popcorn:
Any plans to try and drought them to increase the frost? Outdoors can be more challenging what with Mother Nature wanting to sometimes intervene.
No droughting plans here. To be honest, I'm not convinced it does any good for the quality of the buds. I've followed a lot of posts about the topic and haven't seen anything other than anecdotal opinions.

It's been a crazy busy couple of weeks for me, but today has given me a bit of a break so here's an overdue update in the land of BeezLuiz. :cool:
The little guys are doing well under the NextCore lights. In the back tray are six Amnesia X plants, and in the front left are two Red Dragon X, and the right are two Zkittlez X plants. I moved the light schedule to 18/6 a couple of days ago. The plants ended up with 10 days of 12/12 for a couple of the late sprouters, and as much as 13 days for the earliest ones to sprout.

The outdoor plants are doing pretty well, all things considered.

Sensi Cheese
Sensi is doing much better now that the yellowing leaves has nearly stopped. We've had a spell of cooler weather here of late, and I think that has helped quite a bit. An interesting observation about this SIP plant is that during veg it was growing like crazy, adding more than an inch each day. It was drinking as much as 6 gallons each day! When flowering began in earnest, and stretch was complete, the yellowing leaves began and it dropped its drinking rate to only .75 gallons per day. Now that the yellowing has stopped and it's working on bud building, the plant is now drinking more - 1.25 gallons per day.
One major drawback of having this in a SIP: It has gotten too tall for the amount of soil that's in the box. The plant currently stands at 6.5 ft tall, and the planter only holds about 15 gallons of soil - not much for the roots to grab onto. A few weeks ago the trunk began leaning backward a bit each day. To counter that, I tied it up to an umbrella pole/stand in the front. A few days later, the trunk began leaning forward so I moved the support stand to the back. Then it started leaning again and the support was moved yet again. Yesterday I was seeing that the trunk was again leaning, so I decided to tie it down on both sides. As I was standing there thinking about my strategy, a small gust of wind came up and the plant started falling! :eek: Fortunately I was there and was able to grab it in time! If I use a SIP again next year, I will definitely need to try harder to keep the plant below 4 ft tall.
The buds are looking pretty good, but still have a long way to go before harvest-ready.

China Cat
China Cat is doing pretty well. The buds are getting fat and sticky and the branches are getting floppy. I needed to add a few more stakes to better support them. Here's a pic after the staking chore:

So, I found my first caterpillar of the season on China Cat. Somehow it managed to avoid the BT-treated parts of the bud. It was deep inside one of the dense buds, but I found it and removed it. The thing with BT is that the caterpillars need to eat the treated plant material for it to kill them. With dense flowers, it's hard to get the BT into the center where most of the caterpillar reside, but the battle must continue! No signs of caterpillar damage on the other plant as its buds are no where near as dense as China Cat's.
That's it for me today, I hope the week treats you all well. :green_heart:

Beauties Beez! I'm especially enamored with the China Cat! Oh my. :Rasta:

A few weeks ago the trunk began leaning backward a bit each day. To counter that, I tied it up to an umbrella pole/stand in the front. A few days later, the trunk began leaning forward so I moved the support stand to the back. Then it started leaning again and the support was moved yet again. Yesterday I was seeing that the trunk was again leaning, so I decided to tie it down on both sides. As I was standing there thinking about my strategy, a small gust of wind came up and the plant started falling!
I don't know if you were going for humor here, but I can tell you at least one of your subs (me) was LOL when he read this description of events!

Glad you were there to catch your "secured" plant. :)

Your outdoor plants are looking great Beez, they put a smile on my face seeing them thru the computer screen!
One major drawback of having this in a SIP: It has gotten too tall for the amount of soil that's in the box. The plant currently stands at 6.5 ft tall, and the planter only holds about 15 gallons of soil - not much for the roots to grab onto. A few weeks ago the trunk began leaning backward a bit each day. To counter that, I tied it up to an umbrella pole/stand in the front. A few days later, the trunk began leaning forward so I moved the support stand to the back. Then it started leaning again and the support was moved yet again. Yesterday I was seeing that the trunk was again leaning, so I decided to tie it down on both sides. As I was standing there thinking about my strategy, a small gust of wind came up and the plant started falling! :eek: Fortunately I was there and was able to grab it in time!
Well damn, that's being present in the moment - good catch!

Fortunately I was there and was able to grab it in time!
Did you have an impulse to yell "timber!"?...
.. before you caught it, I mean...😄
I'm especially enamored with the China Cat! Oh my.
I know, right? The Sensi Cheese is awesome, but there's just something about that China Cat (other than that cool name :))

Ah, the problems of growing ginormous, bud-laden, plants! Good catch with that pesky caterpillar. Can you bring out that net thingy you made last year? I thought that was a success for you, at keeping them out. :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom