Hawk's Outdoor Granddaddy Purple & THC Bomb Grow Journal - 2023

They look great. You could try putting something over them when it rains. Anything you could rig as a make shift umbrella would work. Have you smoked any of it yet?

Thanks! I'm looking into some kind of portable tent / greenhouse to put up when it rains for next season. I tried covering the soil with tin foil and then cardboard. Didn't work that great.

Haven't tried either of the plants yet. From what I can see of the trichomes, it's still a bit early. Then need to deal w. trimming, drying and curing. No idea how long that will take!!

A bit of rain won't hurt em if it dries off or the weather is cold enough.
A problem with greenhouses is often times the rh climbs higher in them than it is outdoors and -
then the risk of rot just increases. Covering them with a roof or so doesn't hurt.

Regarding how long trimming will take... ages... it's basically hell and you'll be trapped there for an eternity. JK
but put on some tunes or something to stay entertained. Personally, I wet trim... I don't buy that 'wet trimming makes mids' crap and it's so much easier. After about a month of curing most of the harshness from the chlorophyll should be gone. going a few months longer if you can hold out just makes it that much better. Don't worry too much if u can't wait, fresh buds will still mess u up just as much as the properly cured ones just might not be as smooth or flavorful.

10/11/23 - OMG! What is going on with these two plants? Any ideas? Whatever it is, it does not look good!
This looks like more than just Thrips (I'm using SNS-203 to try and get rid of them). Near panic mode...

GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_06.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_07.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_08.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_02.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_03.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_04.jpg

10/11/23 - OMG! What is going on with these two plants? Any ideas? Whatever it is, it does not look good!
This looks like more than just Thrips (I'm using SNS-203 to try and get rid of them). Near panic mode...

GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_06.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_07.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_08.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_02.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_03.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_11_2023_04.jpg
Top pic is bud rot, aka botrytis.
The rest mostly looks like the results of thrips, cold weather, and rain.

Bud rot? Damn. Exactly what I was afraid of the last week or so. I'll try to find articles on bud rot, but for now, any suggestions on what to do?
Trim out any affected sections of bud, and a little bit on either side, standard advice is an inch.
If it's the tip, take it right off and inspect the rest of the bud, looking inside as much as possible.
As far as keeping it from spreading, keeping the buds as dry as possible, and getting as much airflow as possible. Difficult to do outdoors, sometimes impossible.
I've heard that SNS make something that can help, but I've never tried it as they don't ship to Canada.
Otherwise, you might want to consider harvesting what you can depending on how close you are.

Trim out any affected sections of bud, and a little bit on either side, standard advice is an inch.
If it's the tip, take it right off and inspect the rest of the bud, looking inside as much as possible.
As far as keeping it from spreading, keeping the buds as dry as possible, and getting as much airflow as possible. Difficult to do outdoors, sometimes impossible.
I've heard that SNS make something that can help, but I've never tried it as they don't ship to Canada.
Otherwise, you might want to consider harvesting what you can depending on how close you are.
Bud rot? Damn. Exactly what I was afraid of the last week or so. I'll try to find articles on bud rot, but for now, any suggestions on what to do?
Yep, Mr. Hobbes is right! You gotta cut out the bad spots. Keep in mind that Mr. Hobbes is a very decisive grower. He can handle a really bad situation, and cut that day if he has to. Seemingly without regret, and that's exactly how you have to be. Keith Lemon was using citric acid to combat the rot. He could probably give you a verdict on how best to do that.

10/12/23 - Ok, more questions yet again!

The weather is predicted between low 40s and low 70s. Rainy all weekend.
If it rains on Saturday, should I just bring these in my garage and use whatever light I have in there so that they don’t potentially get more bud rot?

OR

Should I just give up and start harvesting? I can’t really tell from looking at the trichomes. Think they’re still more clear than cloudy. I’d love to give them another couple weeks if possible, but don’t want some disease to wipe the whole thing out before harvest.

As always, any / all advice is Greatly appreciated!!

GDP_THC Bomb__10_12_2023_06.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_12_2023_08.jpg

GDP_THC Bomb__10_12_2023_05.jpg

If you can keep them out of the rain that would be best.
You still have a lot of white stigmas (pistils) left, so they still have a ways to go.
If you have a fan to put on them, as well as the light, that would be even better.

Yep, Mr. Hobbes is right! You gotta cut out the bad spots. Keep in mind that Mr. Hobbes is a very decisive grower. He can handle a really bad situation, and cut that day if he has to. Seemingly without regret, and that's exactly how you have to be. Keith Lemon was using citric acid to combat the rot. He could probably give you a verdict on how best to do that.
I used 2 level tsp of citric acid to 1-gallon distilled water. to be honest it did not help my situation, but it may help yours

If it rains on Saturday, should I just bring these in my garage and use whatever light I have in there so that they don’t potentially get more bud rot?

OR

Should I just give up and start harvesting? I can’t really tell from looking at the trichomes. Think they’re still more clear than cloudy. I’d love to give them another couple weeks if possible, but don’t want some disease to wipe the whole thing out before harvest.

OR

Yeah, take'em in the garage and watch out for more bud rot. It spreads by means of spores, so look out for that.

10/13/23 - Watered them 1.5 gallons each w. added Sweet Candy (0-17-28). Trichomes still look clear to me. Finally found a bug on the bottom of a leaf that I’d cut off. Is this a Thrip? Thought they’d be much smaller.

It’s supposed to pour tomorrow, so moved plants into the garage and put a fan on them.

GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_00.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_01.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_03.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_05.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_08.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_09.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_11.jpg

Looks like an aphid to me.

Otherwise they're looking great!
Using a jewelers loupe is good (I do), but if you can use a pocket microscope it'll give you a much clearer picture of the state of the trichomes.

10/13/23 - Watered them 1.5 gallons each w. added Sweet Candy (0-17-28). Trichomes still look clear to me. Finally found a bug on the bottom of a leaf that I’d cut off. Is this a Thrip? Thought they’d be much smaller.

It’s supposed to pour tomorrow, so moved plants into the garage and put a fan on them.

GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_00.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_01.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_03.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_05.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_08.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_09.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_13_2023_11.jpg
Might ought to quit hit'em with the juice, and just water them when needed. Watch out for bud rot, and keep'em out of the cold. Your closing in on harvest day, you can see the finish line from where your at. Hell, smoke some of it. How else are you gonna know how far along you are?

10/18/23 - Still in garage w. the fan on them. Trichomes still don’t appear the right color for harvest.

GDP_THC Bomb__10_18_2023_06.jpg
GDP_THC Bomb__10_17_2023_03.jpg
They're getting there. Look'n pretty damn good. The THC Bomb seems to be slow to get ripe in general. I have three of them from regular seed, staggered about a month apart, and the oldest of them still shows no amber. It's pretty killer smoke though.

Back
Top Bottom