First Time Grower: What do you think of my set-up plans? Help!

ItchyCosAids

420 Member
Hi Everyone,
First time grower here from New Zealand. Its been ridiculous trying to source any weed lately so ive convinced the wife to give me some money to sort myself out going forward. This is illegal here so will be done on the stealth in a garden shed out back (not allowed in the house).
  • Tent to keep it easy and contain light and smells as much as possible.
  • Ebb & Flow because i want to learn this technique going forward and it looks simple enough and easy to maintain.
  • LEDs because i want to keep heat down (been in a house fire, scared fucking shitless of it now) and at 0.28c k/wh power aint cheap here..
Below is my proposed buildany comments or suggestions from those much more experianced than i would be greatly welcomed!

Capture.PNG

Hard to find cheap supplies down here, keeping the budget below the $1100 mark the wife set me isnt happening! Hopefully the Chinese supplier can come through with the lower value customs declaration so i can save the $145 on import tax on the lights. ;)
Few things..
The nute thing im still to work out though... how do you decide on your schedule and what nutes you have used?
  • How high up should i fill my flood tray? If my tray is 100cm x 100cm and i fill to say 7cm (half tray height) then i will be pumping 70L. 100L res should be enough yes? I would like to change out the res once a week i imagine?
  • Once i have some more money i will invest in another 2 x 240w qb kits so i will have a total of 960W. I will have to start out with just the 480w for this grow though.
  • Wanting to turn some buds fast as its gotten beyond scarce here to find any, so am looking to start with clones, unknown strains at this stage, gotta do some deals..
Thanks in advance for reading!

Welcome to the best place to be 6
I can say sounds good. Go with what you can get. Then you can slowly change anything that you, might, see needs changing.
I can't speak for flood trays, never done that. But someone will surely come along shortly.

Gday mate, your planning all looks pretty good. Definitely a good idea going with the led option for heat during summer, but also remember the cooler months do get chilly here. Would recommend spending the extra on a temperature/speed controlled fan. And I would definitely recommend the 2m high tent option, as things can get crowded height wise quickly especially if you're wanting to hang the fan and filter in the tent.
Also I can't speak for the flood and drain as all I've grown in as coco so far, but same principles i guess monitor your ph and ec as well as reservoir temps.
And if you're wanting a quicker turn around starting from clones with known genetics would definitely be the go, or otherwise starting with feminized seeds. You could even chuck in some auto flowers if that's your style.
I've been a long time lurker on the site not many postings but the amount of information on this site is outstanding. And always happy to help out a fellow kiwi in need of some green. Chuuur

Oh and for nutes, the nutrifield range is reasonably priced and seems to do the trick, I havent used the hydro a and b personally as I use coco a and b, but I do use the roots most days, fullife and cargo boost weekly. I use flairform cmx to 0.3 ec then add base nute up to do desired ec level. And then just cannazym once weekly in flower and canna pk13/14 for 2 weeks mid to late flower. OH YES and my secret weapon is great white, but goodluck finding that here.
Plenty of options when it comes to nutrients, but a quality base nutrient is the most important and then your root building additives, then flowering booster.
Goodluck and I'm interested to hear what lighting options you went with aswell, as I've been looking in cob's and qb's for little while but have yet to front up and get a fixture. Chuuur

I don't know what your paranoia level is, but as you mentioned that cannabis is illegal there: The golden rule of clandestine cannabis cultivation has always been: Tell NO ONE. By that, I mean no one who knows you and/or knows where you live/grow. I know you've made it plain that you are in a hurry, but consider: If you start with clones, then someone would have to know you're going to be growing cannabis, because they'll have to supply them. If you buy seeds from a seedbank - especially one not even in your own country - than the only people who'll know... won't be anywhere near you or your plants. But with clones... I've only ever really met one person who I think managed to take other people's secrets to his grave without telling anyone, drinking/smoking buddies, people he wanted to impress, spouse/girlfriend, kids, et cetera. Everyone seems to tell someone... something. Even if they don't tell everything about a... thing, they'll end up hinting around - and the people who hear might not be stupid. Whoever you plan on getting clones off of might never in a million years tell the police (even if he/she gets arrested for something and has a chance to ease his/her own situation), or rob you. But if he/she does what humans do and tells/hints/infers/brags to someone else, who is to say that they won't roll on you to get out of trouble, or sneak in one night and relieve you of your cannabis?

Don't tell your friends / neighbors / family / local dealer. If you need to talk about growing cannabis, well... that's what this forum is for ;) .

As for setup costs, you could save a lot by buying a plastic tote (or two, or...), an aquarium power head, maybe an air pump and set of air stones - and using the DWC method instead of ebb & flow. It'll also be simpler, with somewhat less chances of failure, all things considered. Shouldn't hurt your yield (might actually help it).

Or you could go "hempy." Get a container, put a hole in it, and fill it with perlite (etc.). This method is passive hydroponics and, if done right, production will probably fall somewhere between soil and active hydroponics.

Back
Top Bottom