First time grower with clone, start up questions

surf420

first and foremost wanna thank everyone for the good info and help ive found searching around these forums, good stuff!

im starting my first grow in the next week or so, and just had a few questions.
im starting with a clone from a friends plant, not sure of the exact strain but its some good pineappley ish stuff haha. anyways, i see starting a clone is generally started in peat pellets after the root system starts to develop. he's very into using soil, claims it adds some taste to the final product. how long should i let is stay in the pellets for or can i transplant right to soil ?

also i have a small grow box set up in a closet, its about 3 feet high, 2 feet wide and about 2.5 feet deep. this should be big enough for just the one plant right ? also for lighting in such a small area im not sure what to get, dont want to generate too much heat, and with the limited height i dont want to have to keep the lights too far away from the plant as it grows, any suggestions ?

many thanks for any help and happy growing! :peace:

Re: fist time grower with clone, start up questions

I use starter pellets and the roots grow right through them so you never really need to remove them, atleast in my opinion. But that boc is plenty big as long as you train it some to keep it short, topping and FIM work well, but I have been using LST lately and I feel like that's the way to go for you. As far as lighting unless you have plenty of many to work out for some LEDs you are going to want to use cfl's, I'm sure you know about them but you can put a bunch all around yourlant to give it light everywhere it needs and they can be within a couple inches of your plant, and your going to want a minimum of 100 cfl watts to get a decent turnout. Hope this helps, good luck

thanks man! i actually just finished up my box today, just figuring out how to hang my lights now. i did decide to go CFL because of the limited space and i dont want much heat. i am still wondering if i am going to need ventilation though. i know the CFL's dont give off that much heat, so i was thinkin maybe i can get away with no vents ? as long as i open the box up here and there for some fresh air ? was also thinking of just sticking a little fan inside the box to move air around ?

Hi surf420 I have a similar size box with 1 42 watt and three 23 watt cfls. I left the vent fan off for about an hour and the temp got up to 86F. I would sugest a good fan I'm putting more CFLs in soon and am going to have to upgrade mine.:oops:

ahhh bummer man! figures right when im getting close to finishing up haha. if i drill a few vent holes in the box and set up a fan blowing out/in do you think that would be enough ?

i jsut picked up a few cfl's, no problem finding 2700k's, but are 6500k's not marked ? couldnt find anything

im planning on doing about 3 6500k's during veg and then switching over during flowering, that should be plenty right ?

goodluck though man! i guess before throwing my plant in there im going to play around with the lights/vents for a few days to make sure i can control the temp well enough

Back
Top Bottom