First time grown room & kit advice in crawl space

vikinglace

Looking for some advice on first grow setup and suggestions. I've spent an age reading various threads, site. So much information on here, it's a fantastic resource, but I think I've now got too much information in my head and in danger of overcomplicating things!

I live in the UK, in midlands, so an idea of climate.

This is what I've got / thinking about so far and questions if anyone has any thoughts / suggestions . Aim to grow bit of smoke for myself. Enough space to grow 2 plants, doubt anymore.

Location — Cellar / Crawl space under house. Approx. 1.4 high, so pretty restricted with space height wise.

Tent — looked at various. Struggling to find one that is around 1.2 to 1.4 high. Perfect size would be 120 high really so I can get extraction out the top. Any suggestions?

Light — have ordered Mars hydro Reflector 48x3w LED . Do you think this is powerful enough for 2 plant setup? Thinking I should have gone more now. If so what should I add?

Fittings — daft question — what do I need to safely move the light up and down in the tent?

Carbon filter — I will be venting through the crawl space into a small hole that is part of another cellar type. Rhino pro seem to be the one that most recommend. Would the Pro 125mm 5" be enough?

Fan — I don't know what I need. Thinking that I'm not going to have much heat so just need one outside the tent for the filter?

Grow — Going to keep it simple and go for autos. Got some Polarlight#3 from Dutch passion —
Electric — planning on running a 13amp extension from house. Figure my power needs will be quite modest.

I haven't got a huge budget, but I'd rather pay once and get something that is going to do the job. As they say "Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick Two."

Concerns
Main thing is the grow space. Being a crawl space its pretty dirty down there. Plenty of rubble, dust etc. Its also can be a bit damp, smells a bit musty. Temperature is stable, but I expect it will get below optimum growing temp. Unsure how much heat the LED will generate in a small tent . Main concern is the damp. That said, there is plenty of ventilation down there with airbricks and a good supply of fresh air. Hence why don't think I need a fan to blow in the tent.

Grow
I was planning on keeping it simple. Have been tempted with coir grow, but think for this first one I'll go soil. Seems like will be less to think about first time round?
Any advice on compost for the initial germination and final pot / size?

What else do I need / have I missed? Also can anyone recommend good link / forum post for a first time grow in soil / auto grow?

Sorry so many questions, and really do appreciate your sharing the knowledge J

Hi, you'll find most of what you need here;
How to Grow Marijuana
Growers Forums

if its not there then google it.
The UK gets pretty cold during winter and the floor will probably be the coldest area. I have no experience with LEDs, I'm sure they will generate some heat but nothing too much.
when you say 1.2 do you mean feet or metres? I've got a 1.8m tent and I've seen smaller that are designed to be veg tents that would suffice.
there are recommendations for light based on lumens per square foot, staying somewhere near those should be fine.
you can get rope ratchet type fittings to hang lights, there are also yoyo types. the latter are useless in my opinion but the ratchet type are good, very easy to use.
there are also recommended guidelines when it comes to extraction. if i remember correctly its based on how many times you exchange the complete volume of air per min or hour.
it would be beneficial to have a small 6 or 9 inch oscillating fan to move air around inside. this also helps strengthen plant stems.
autos sounds like your best bet based on space so your good there. also i think dutch passion is a strain popular among people growing in our neck of the woods outdoors, so i presume it is slightly more hardy.
during my 1st grow i used biobizz allmix from start to finish but have recently be thinking about using a "lighter" mix for germination which is recommended by most.
Hope this helps in some way.

Back
Top Bottom