Beginner Grow, just looking for some advice!

jahloves

Hey all, so this is going to be my first grow and I was just wondering what other people would think of my overall plan. Any advice is much appreciated!

So, I plan on growing 7 plants (all an indica dominant strain) in a 4x4 grow tent under a 600 watt MH/HPS light with an air cooled reflector hood. My first question is will that be enough room for 7 plants? I've read different things about space and room size and still am not confident that I will have the space for all 7 to grow. If it will not be enough space I can always cut back on the number of plants.

I plan on growing all of the plants in Roots Organics original potting soil and use Roots Organics Buddha Grow/Bloom for the nutes. This is where my second question comes in, should I mix anything with the soil (perlite for example)? I have read that the soil is good to go without mixing in anything else but I was just wondering what some other peoples opinions are. Also should I use more/different nutes? From what I have read it sounds like the grow/bloom work fine, but I wasn't sure if I would need more.

I also had a question about air circulation through the tent and was wondering how other people handle it? I don't want my tent to cause all the air in it to become stagnant, so I know I need a circulate the air. I'm still not sure how I want to handle this, but I know something needs to be done about it.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really really excited to get this grow under way. I love cannabis and can't wait to learn all about the actual process of growing!

You should have plenty of space for 7 indicas. Just keep in mind that once those bitches flower they will double or even triple in height.

I use Fox Farms soil and that too is advertised as good to go. However, I add organic perlite anyhow to assist with drainage--70/30 FFOF to perlite but others use different ratios. I'm not familiar w Organic roots, so if they have a feeding schedule I'd say stick to it while you're learning and adjust according as your skills improve. You may want to start at less than the recommended dose and work your way up.

A tent will get hot as fuck w a 600watt light in there. Get an exhaust fan. I use a 178 cfm Can-Fan w/ 4 inch ducting for my 3x3x6 space and 400watt system. I use the fan/ducting to pull air out through the light (this has a cooling effect) and then push it through my carbon filter. It works for me and keeps my tent environment almost identical to the room temps/RH--almost. I hope this helps. :goodluck: and happy growing.

The number of plants you can grow is up to you. For example, if you were to grow monster plants 7 might not be an option. You could grow 25 plants in that space if you kept them small.

So yes 7 is no problem for that size tent, you are in control of the size, as Gadfly mentioned they can double in size once flowered.

You really don't need to do anything with the soil, most of these types of soil's are ready to go no need for more (unless a grower has a particular preference). In terms of the nutrients, yeah all you need is the base nutrients. You can add supplements if you want but you don't HAVE to. Just like someone can simply exercise and heat proper, they don't HAVE to take supplements.

For air circulation simply get yourself an oscillating or clip-on fan to move the air.

Cool thanks for the help guys! I plan on air cooling my light and using a couple fans so hopefully this will keep the heat factor down. If not I guess I'll have to figure something else out. And good to know that 7 plants should be ok, obviously I won't be able to grow them into monsters but I'm just glad they will fit!

Can't wait to get started!

Hey mate how are ya??
Well in theory in a perfect setting you could be fine.. But in a 4ftx4ft space, the plants would need to be kept to a minimal size in order for them to give good results, You may be better off with less plants?
Less plants doesnt mean less weed - So dont think that! You can get some good results with less plants just give them more room to fill out. I use LST and only do a single plant, but I usually get over 1pound P/plant in soil under my 400w or 600w. I do have a larger space than you tho, so Id look into topping or LST ing your girls to keep height down a bit and hopefully give you solid buds.
This plant was toppped :
2013-05-01_17_24_12.jpg
2013-05-01_17_24_33.jpg

It was about 3.5 ft tall x 3ft wide or so, she filled out nicely towards the end but IMO had longer to go...

This is one of my LST d plants, she was 6ft2 H x 4.5ft W x 2.5ft D, she grew really well and I hope to replicate the same results next grow:)
2012-10-22_19_27_19.jpg
2012-10-22_19_45_17.jpg
2012-10-28_14_03_48.jpg

I LOVE LST!!!!! GIMME BUDS GIMME GIMME BUDS:):):) Hope your grow goes well mate and you get what your after.. If you have trouble with temps and such, Ive found as long as I have the air constantly being circulated and I have enough vents the plant will be ok. Some adjustments may need to be done but not much. But yeah, theres plenty of guys here to give ya some advice if u need.. Take it easy, Smokemupm8

Back
Top Bottom