First Timer - Needs Help With set Up Information

xtremeimages

Hello,

I'm a new member, and have just signed up with 420 Magazine today. If I may I would like to give you some background information on myself, and then ask you for information and help, to be able to help myself.

My name is Gerry, I'm 61 years old. I developed Neuropathy due to a stroke when I was 54 years old. My Neuropathy causes the complete right side of my body to burn like fire 24 hours a day. I have tried all the typical medical treatments to no avail. A month ago my 24 year old son brought me some weed and said, Hey Dad, give this a try. I did. For the first time in 7 years, I received relief from my constraint burning pain. My son who lives a six hour drive away, can't bring me any weed except a few times a year. I'm a little old to stand on a street corner, and try to find some, so I decided to try and help myself by growing for my own need. That's why I'm here, for your help. I have been researching online, to understand what I need and how to grow. That brought me to the 420 Magazine. I'm hoping to find a mentor.

What I have decided to do was build a indoor grow box. The interior size is 25"X13"X64". 16 cubic feet interior space. I have decided to use full spectrum LED lighting. I have researched LED lighting and understand the difference between good and bad LED's. I have also researched exhaust fans with charcoal filtering, and have a good understanding of exhaust and filter systems. The growing system will of course will be hydroponics I still have a long way to go to understanding how to build my grow box. These are my questions.

(1) How do I figure the amount of watts, or lumens of the LED lighting system that I would need for my grow box? The box being 25" width X13" depth "X 64" height. with 16 cubic feet interior space.

(2) How do I figure the size of the exhaust fan? Do I need a 4" or 6" exhaust fan? Does it matter, or is bigger always better?

(3) I still do not understand the interior fan system. Does the grow box also need a intake fan, or just a fan in the box to circulate air movement?

(4) How many plants should I plan for to be able to grow in this size box, 25"X13"X64" so I can size my hydroponics system? I'm just guessing 3 or 4.

(5) I would need information on the right type of seeds and nutrients to grow the right type of plants for my medical use. I also need a good source from start to finish information of growing.

I know I have a lot to learn. If I'm making any mistakes, please let me know.This information would get me started in the right direction, and I know I couldn't have found a better source than 420 Magazine.

Thank you in advance for any help you could give.
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

I'd like to start by welcoming to the 420 Magazine site and community of members that gathers here! :welcome: :ciao:

I'm sorry for your ailment, but am so happy that you have found relief in cannabis and I applaud your efforts to solve your supply needs. I have to agree with Gadfly that a soil grow is worth considering as an introduction to growing. Soil is a lot more forgiving and also presents a lower cost of entry than hydro. I think anyone that grows can attest to just how easy it is (even in soil) for initial costs to spiral out of control if one isn't careful.

I'd would love to offer to mentor, but unfortunately I'm just to new to growing myself to be confident enough to do so. I can promise you though that if you begin a grow journal, even prior to beginning your grow, you will receive help and advice from some of the best growers around. The membership of this community is so giving and caring, that collectively we will not let you down.

I'd like to also suggest that your grow area might be a little small for much more than 1 or 2 plants at the most. 13 Inches just isn't much room for plant to spread out, and 25 inches wide would only give 2 plants 12 inches each. I can respect that this might be the only space you have to comfortably work with, but if there are alternative spaces available it might be worthwhile to consider them.

Calculating the size LED's you need is also a little tricky. There currently isn't a great way of which I'm aware to calculate size LED needed to cover a certain number of sq. feet as LED bulbs are often covered with lenses that focus the light into a tighter pattern of dispersal. There are 120 degree lenses, 60 degree, 30 degree and probably everything in between and beyond. These lenses help overcome the fact that an LED bulb is actually a weak source of light that doesn't carry it's "light energy" over a great distance. With that said, and assuming the space described is what you go with, I think your going to want a minimum of 90 watts and possibly something in the 125-150 watt range. More light is ALWAYS better.

The fan size should really be gauged more by the cubic feet/minute (cfm) rating than strictly by size. You have to plan around the fact that a carbon filter will reduce the air flow some, but with only 16 cubic feet of space to ventilate something that moves 170 cfm's, reduced to say 130 by the filter and ducting will change the air in your room 8 times a minute. I believe 3 times a minute may actually be over kill so plan accordingly.

The interior fan just moves the plants around to allow for light to strike the leaves at different angles and disperse any "hot spots" that the lighting might create. With the right extraction fan and an intake source low in the space you may not find it is needed. If not a small 6" clip on fan will undoubtedly create enough air movement for this space.

Strain information can be located in several places around the site. One site tool I use extensively is the search feature located under the "Forums" tab in the upper left. I'm sorry but I just don't know of a single thread to reference that might contain the information pertinent to your specific needs.

I will certainly watch for a grow journal should you decide to start one and would be happy to continue to discuss your set up and grow if I can be of assistance.

Be well Gerry, and happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom