Flowering without pistils?

Grandma Weedstein

I’ve got a Chem Dog/Rug Burn cross that I was pretty impressed with early on, due to strong growth, but it’s been problematic ever since. Seems much more susceptible to powdery mildew than my other strains and the leaves have been clawing on it (probably due to heat) while my other outdoor plants are fine. It’s also flowering later than the others. Weirdly, it looks like it’s starting to produce calyxes but I’m not seeing any pistils like I am on my other plants. The first photo is of my problematic plant, the second one is of a Cinex plant right next to it that has no problems. Is it just late or is something seriously fucked up with it?

Attachments

• 45685160-5F8C-4636-8EFF-179FE7DE6FE6.jpeg
    45685160-5F8C-4636-8EFF-179FE7DE6FE6.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 169
  • DCF92D3D-45B4-4E0B-A878-3B5F579FAB6F.jpeg
    DCF92D3D-45B4-4E0B-A878-3B5F579FAB6F.jpeg
    588.2 KB · Views: 172
Looks late to flower. I had a LSD plant do the same thing but now has outgrown its sisters.if you are getting mildew now you should be finding a way to Knock the humidity down before late flower. Lots of fans keeping the girls dancing will help.

Looks late to flower. I had a LSD plant do the same thing but now has outgrown its sisters.if you are getting mildew now you should be finding a way to Knock the humidity down before late flower. Lots of fans keeping the girls dancing will help.
Thanks, it has since developed pistils but the buds are still puny. I was pleased with the strain’s vigorous early growth but the late flowering is a bummer. As for humidity, I’m outdoors so no control.

Thanks, it has since developed pistils but the buds are still puny. I was pleased with the strain’s vigorous early growth but the late flowering is a bummer. As for humidity, I’m outdoors so no control.
Come on. You can’t get Mother Nature to comply. I can see pistils from the calyx on the plant. Give her a chance. She’s likely to surprise you.

Come on. You can’t get Mother Nature to comply. I can see pistils from the calyx on the plant. Give her a chance. She’s likely to surprise you.
Yeah, the buds are looking better now but the plant overall is looking ragged. I hope you’re right and I plan to give it a chance, of course, but it’s kind of a disappointment after such a strong start. It got too big and has just taken a beating from rain and such. Had some branches break off. I think if I use these genetics again it will be for a late season crop after an early maturing or autoflower variety. I’ll start it late indoors since it grows so vigorously and then just plant out to replace the autoflower just as the days get shorter. Keep the size manageable that way.

What is your temp like? I had the same looking problem a few grows ago (long time to grow hairs and leaves curling). The plant eventually grew hairs after a long wait but the plant didnt grow buds until I finally gave up and chopped her. Temp in the tent was 29-31 celcius lights on.

I think it was the warm temperature that severely delayed or slowed down her development because I am flowering a clone of that plant now with cooler temps and the clone is growing buds now. :)

Good luck on your grow!! The second plant looks lovely! :love::love::love::love::bravo:

:Namaste:

What is your temp like? I had the same looking problem a few grows ago (long time to grow hairs and leaves curling). The plant eventually grew hairs after a long wait but the plant didnt grow buds until I finally gave up and chopped her. Temp in the tent was 29-31 celcius lights on.

I think it was the warm temperature that severely delayed or slowed down her development because I am flowering a clone of that plant now with cooler temps and the clone is growing buds now. :)

Good luck on your grow!! The second plant looks lovely! :love::love::love::love::bravo:

:Namaste:
DUDE: You know what? The temperature totally explains it, in that case. That’s super helpful — what you describe is exactly what happened here. The plant (Chem Burn, cross of Chem Dog and Rug Burn) was super impressive early on when I had it on veg with LEDs inside, and grew really well in springtime outdoors. As soon as it got hot in summer, though, the leaves stopped growing as well and began clawing. This is by far my largest plant — like 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide — but it’s super ragged after a heat wave and then getting hit with rain. Other strains I’m growing are in the same area but doing fine.

I’m hoping to make the vigorous early growth useful in my breeding project — crossing this one with Oregon Pinot Noir, which I heard is a rare strain suited for my area. Maybe next year it will replace an autoflower in July or some shit, keep the size down while producing a second crop in one year. Doubt it will work but worth a shot.

Sorry for rambling, pretty drunk and high! Anyway, I’m posting a photo of the same plant’s buds now — it clearly has pistils, tho pathetic — compared to my plant with the fattest buds (Harle tsu, cross of Harlequin (CBD cultivar) and Tsunami).

Attachments

• 184E3B39-DEE1-4E88-BB5C-9E576D055542.jpeg
    184E3B39-DEE1-4E88-BB5C-9E576D055542.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DE738056-8D72-44EA-8332-A5146746D8FD.jpeg
    DE738056-8D72-44EA-8332-A5146746D8FD.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 99
Wow she looks great!!! :circle-of-love:

And wow! 8 feet tall!!!! :p I would love to have an 8 ft plant flowering!!! Just thinking about your harvest is making me drool!!:lot-o-toke:
Thanks bro, but it’s probably a lot prettier in your mind’s eye. Two weeks ago she was the size of a rhino, now she looks like a Charlie Brown x-mas tree, LOL. Shitload of rain just wore her ragged, but I’m sure to get some bud out of the deal. It’s embarrassing to post this pic of what she looks like now that she basically collapsed from the rain and had to get strung back together, but rest assured my other plants look better.

Attachments

• 90B7FF3A-FA19-4DF5-9B03-69FF3AD5A73E.jpeg
    90B7FF3A-FA19-4DF5-9B03-69FF3AD5A73E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom