Flowering

Jacob Bell

Ok all, quick question. When I decide it's time to flower, do I need to give the plant 24 hrs of dark time before I hit the switch for 12/12? I am currently on Day 32 of veg. I am doing 18/6. But I seem to have read somewhere about a dark period before flowering? Is that true? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Ok all, quick question. When I decide it's time to flower, do I need to give the plant 24 hrs of dark time before I hit the switch for 12/12? I am currently on Day 32 of veg. I am doing 18/6. But I seem to have read somewhere about a dark period before flowering? Is that true? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

I do 36 hours dark at the flip....:)

These are good answers and good thoughts. Keep the replies coming people, I want a consensus lol. Like a poll. How many give dark hrs prior to going 12/12 from 18/6? I am going to have preflowers showing in less than 2 wks, judging by the looks of my plant, so I really need to know what the whole point of the dark period is. In nature, that would not happen, so why do it indoors? I don't get that. But are there benefits to it or something?

i dont know about the sci about it but during flower i give my plants a couple of doses of 36 hours of dark when the lights come on i always see a lot of new hairs...

dont know if it is the dark or just natural growth over that period of time but it has worked well so far for me...

Thanks Ludacris and nonaware. Yeah, that's my whole point, Lcris. Why do something that is not found in nature? Unless it further's nature course in a faster or better way. I do understand that folks have gone to great length to make "better" cannibis, but really, that's all academic. The facts are, it's a weed, and it grow easily if given the right environment. So, that would be nature. And in nature, you have no long 36 or 24 or 18 hrs of darkness in between Sept. and Oct., when outdoor plants begin to flower. So why do that indoors? But, if people do it, is it myth, or is it a fact that it benefits somehow? I want to know if it really benefits, or if I can just switch with no ill effects lol. I already know the first answer. I can just switch the time, no problem. To be natureous, I would just simply go 18/6, to 15/9, to 12/12. Something like that, to imitate the slow trend to shorter days. But, if people swear by doing a period of darkness, why do they? And how does it benefit? That's the main question lol. All answers, idea, thoughts, etc, are welcome. Let's discuss this!

Why do something that is not found in nature?

Nothing that we do in the grow room is natural. We use artificial light, give them perfectly suited nutrients and ph balanced water, control the temp and humidity, etc. We observe and experiment to achieve the best possible results, so please don't say that if it's not in nature, it has no value.

The facts are, it's a weed

The hell it is! There aren't many other plants in the world that has the uses and properties that Cannabis does...

All answers, idea, thoughts, etc, are welcome.

These are mine...:)

AFAIK nature has no process for destroying only male plants and leaving only females...thus eliminating the chance for progeny.

HogDady and SnowBender, thank you for your thoughs! I do understand the thought process that we are doing everything un-naturally in the grow room, indoors. As far as it being a weed, I view it as a very useful weed, but the reason I call it a weed is only because that is what I was taught. It's classification in the botany community is a weed lol. It grows easily outdoors. The only reason we baby it so much is so we can grow the best thc content in our weed lol. Snow, your right, nature doesn't take out the males, if it did, no more plants lol. It can't do that, it would be suicide lol.
But as far as the no light period before flowering, what do you 2 think? Should a grower do it, or is it not needed?

You are right but indoors we do our best to mimic nature by fooling the plants by the growing environment we set for them.

:thumb:

I disagree. We do our best to give the plant all that it needs to grow in a way that suits our purpose. That is not mimicking nature.

Hogdady, we have to mimic nature at least a little bit though, right? In order for the plants to grow? In nature, we have light, soil, water. In the grow room, we have light, either soil or hydro, and water. And we add nutes. But we still have to mimic some portion of nature, or else we won't be able to grow a plant?
But Hogdady! what about the dark time before flowering?? lol. What's your thoughts on that? Do you do that? Or no? If yes or no, why or why not. Do you notice any difference between the two?

Hogdady, we have to mimic nature at least a little bit though, right?

Yes of course.....the point I was trying to make is that just because something does or does not occur in nature, that should not be the basis of our decision to include or exclude a process or practice in the growing of Cannabis. :)

ah, my fault HogDady. I see you already answered the dark question lol, 36 hrs at the flip. Thanks, SnowBender, I didn't even catch it lol. My fault entirely. Sorry HogDady. Thanks for the input!
I see your point better now, HD. That last paragraph you wrote, actually spelled it out for me very well lol. I understood that. :)

ah, my fault HogDady. I see you already answered the dark question lol, 36 hrs at the flip. Thanks, SnowBender, I didn't even catch it lol. My fault entirely. Sorry HogDady. Thanks for the input!
I see your point better now, HD. That last paragraph you wrote, actually spelled it out for me very well lol. I understood that. :)

:thumb:

You can disagree with the FAQ all day long but we are in FACT mimicing nature when growing indoors.
:ganjamon:

Does nature supply perfectly ph'd water? Does nature keep it's temps in a perfect zone with an ideal 18° split? Does nature prevent the females from being pollenated by males? Does nature maintain a perfect humidity? Does nature provide a sterile environment to prevent pests? I could go on, but I assume you get the point.

I am not really interested in arguing with you. Believe what you want and stick with that. I dont care about nature i am only interested in growing the finest weed by providing the environment my plants need.
:ganjamon:

good luck to ya........

i am not here to argue as i just want to make friends and give out some info where and when i can.

It's Cannabis that unites us.....

Back
Top Bottom