weedpecker

DSCN22772.JPG

this is the pest on the leave
Untitled-185.jpg

close-up (the little beach was smiling)
DSCN2279.JPG
DSCN22822.JPG

damage done to the plants
The fly that laid eggs is the darker,slightly bigger and more annoying than the standard fly
and now its larvae are killing my babies.
Please help, tried regular soap/water solution didn't do a thing
the pest attacked my sativas first and now it has spead to the indica as well
the plants started dropping their fan leaves and they are dying fast

forgot to mention that photos were shot under HPS lamp but the color of the larvae on the pic matches its color (that my eyes see) which is white/yellowish, you could call it creamy

Hi weedpecker :ciao: they look like thrips to me, seeing the "mama" fly may just have been a coincidence

:Namaste:

Thrips
Thrips are really tiny, but can be seen by the naked eye. Some may have wings and some may not. Thrips reproduce rapidly, especially in tight places. That is what makes them hard to get rid of when using pesticides. The suck the sap right out of your plant with there piercing mouths, which makes the leaves look like they turned white. You can tell when you have thrips by taking a look at your leaves, the leaves will look as if there chlorophyll have been ripped right off the plant. Plants that are damaged can’t be healed thus making it harder for the plant to absorb light. SO if left untreated the thrips will kill the plants. Damage also can be seen by the greenish black specks of there poop they leave on leaves. Also the plants will show silver patches from scar tissue. Depending on the severity at first, thrip damage might look like spider mite damage until it increases in damage and then thrips case is for sure when you see the greenness replace with big parts of white.

One good way to repel thrips for those growing outside is to use garlic, this is a good way to keep them away before you get them. The color yellow attracts the thrips and should be advised not to have this color around your grow.. If you already have them using neem oil, and or lady bugs can get rid of them. If the infestation is bad then you need to use biological solution like, pyrethrin-like insecticides. Picture 8 shows thrips damage.
Other Products include:
Chemicals
Hot Pepper Wax,Safer Yard & Garden Insecticide (which can be used right to the day of harvest), GNATROL (used in hydro in the water as well as soil), Doc's Neem Pest Soap, Safer Sticky Stakes, TR-11000 Pyrethrum.

Picture 1 is Thrip damage
Picture 2 is Thrip Larvae (Picture Contributed by: Flatt)
1134Thrips2.jpg

Source: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Yes they are thrips. Spray with liquid ladybug, safe soap or some sort of organic spray. They make sticky traps that work excellent, they are fluorescent yellow, thrips are attracted to yellow. Place one under each plant they do wonders. Keep in mind a lot of big name soil companies have eggs in their soil. When you plant in it the eggs hatch and your infected. Either switch to coco, or treat every plant once rooted then bi weekly after until flowering has begun.

Back
Top Bottom