"Forests of marijuana" Heaven, in hell?

hapytimeharry

From a BBC news story on poppy production in Afghanistan:
The story is that production has soared. This excerpt is near the end, when they mention alternatives for farmers that give up poppies. The only reason I am posting it, is because the idea of "vast forests of marijuana", sounds incredible.

Poverty feeds Afghan drugs trade
By Alastair Leithead
BBC News, Afghanistan
Tuesday, 22 January 2008

,...dealers do say they will not
grow poppies
as they fear retribution.

And although they have lost a profitable crop,
for now another alternative is bridging the gap.

In a mud compound a short walk away another man goes through the process of stripping the buds off giant cannabis stalks. In the autumn vast forests of marijuana plants scatter the landscape.

It is something that has always been done here, but the price has gone up by a factor of four in just a year.

But unless help can be given to provide a viable and legal alternative, the opium poppies will be back as people struggle with poverty.
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Poverty feeds Afghan drugs trade

I find it humorous that o***m production is thriving, while the US occupies the country. This, in my opinion, is an acknowledgment of o***m as a viable commodity.

For example, Marijuana is the #1 cash crop in America, but is still illegal, and demonized by various government institutions.

The fact that it is, the #1 cash-crop, is the will of the people. And the government, openly defies the will of the people.

Prior to the Bush curse on America, it was my theory that if everyone who uses/enjoys MJ, were open about it, it would become legal much faster. So I started leading by example. Then Bush took office, and everything changed.
We started seeing TV commercials, depicting teenagers in a cars, smoking weed, and running over children, ala Reefer Madness.

the only unfortunate thing is that the mass quantities of mj/op grown in Afghanistan is probably aiding the funding of some form of terrorism

the only unfortunate thing is that the mass quantities of mj/op grown in Afghanistan is probably aiding the funding of some form of terrorism
Propaganda.
You can trace almost anything to terrorists, if you want.

The greatest terrorists, who profit from illegal drug trafficking, is the US gov. They are the best equipped to transport, or interdict drug shipments. As the BBC article stated, no matter what a poor farmer does, it takes someone high up, to get the shipments out of the country.

When government officials need money for covert operations, what better source than seized drug money, or the drugs themselves?

And the cost of MJ or opium in Afghanistan? As long as they let us conduct wars on their land, or drop bombs on them, so that we can keep US bomb factories running, we'll look the other way, why the drugs slip through. Maybe, if you let us bomb you ALOT, we'll even ship 'em on one of our planes.

And there you have it. Terrorism.
;)

Perhaps if the place weren't a bombed-out shit-hole, other businesses could thrive.

Back
Top Bottom