Four plants, only one has high pH

Tedmarx38

Friends,

I'm growing one Runtz, one Amnesia, one Bubba Kush and one Gorilla Cookies in a tent, specs below. We're in week 8 and all are getting the same water and nutrient treatment. Oddly enough, for the last three weeks, the Runtz consistently has lower ph, around 5.8, in the runoff where the others are about 6.5.

Has anyone seen this? It's as if the Runtz unlike the others is creating acidic soil. Weird. It seems to be doing okay despite this low ph.

I'm including the nutes in the list below as these are reco'd by the collective genius contained herein from prior posts, with a bit of choosing amongst the pros and cons. Perhaps irrelevant to the question anyway which is simply, "Is it possible for one plant to produce more acidic soil than the others"?

Thanks,

Nutes are Jack's blossom booster, calmag and epsom salts.
Spider Farmer sf-2000 led 200 watt
Fox Farms Ocean forest soil
Temp range 67 dark, 84 light
20 on, 4 off
Spring water ph 8.7 corrected to 6.5
TDS out of the tap is about 100

Friends,

I'm growing one Runtz, one Amnesia, one Bubba Kush and one Gorilla Cookies in a tent, specs below. We're in week 8 and all are getting the same water and nutrient treatment. Oddly enough, for the last three weeks, the Runtz consistently has lower ph, around 5.8, in the runoff where the others are about 6.5.

Has anyone seen this? It's as if the Runtz unlike the others is creating acidic soil. Weird. It seems to be doing okay despite this low ph.

I'm including the nutes in the list below as these are reco'd by the collective genius contained herein from prior posts, with a bit of choosing amongst the pros and cons. Perhaps irrelevant to the question anyway which is simply, "Is it possible for one plant to produce more acidic soil than the others"?

Thanks,

20 on, 4 off
Good afternoon my friend.
Hope you are having a good day.
Just curious why you are checking the runoff?
It usually is meaningless in a good soil grow.
Are you having some sort of issues?

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Thanks - I’m checking soils using a kit, sticking my meter in the soil itself, and measuring runoff and tbs Runtz is the outlierI also check the ph of the nutrient mix (targeting 6.5). I mention runoff since many do measure this way. Anyway, any idea why the Runtz plant consistently shows acidic vs the others? Can’t see anything online.

Thanks - I’m checking soils using a kit, sticking my meter in the soil itself, and measuring runoff and tbs Runtz is the outlierI also check the ph of the nutrient mix (targeting 6.5). I mention runoff since many do measure this way. Anyway, any idea why the Runtz plant consistently shows acidic vs the others? Can’t see anything online.
Is there a problem with the way she is growing?
Deficiency?
I never check runoff.
You end up chasing your tail.:Namaste:
I concentrate on what's going in , so she has everything available she needs.
If it's soil and you are setting the ph it should be 6.3 going in.

I’m checking soils using a kit, sticking my meter in the soil itself, and measuring runoff and tbs Runtz is the outlierI also check the ph of the nutrient mix (targeting 6.5). I mention runoff since many do measure this way. Anyway, any idea why the Runtz plant consistently shows acidic vs the others? Can’t see anything online.
I figure that the checking of pH of the water that runs through a soil grow is something left over from the days when the most successful way to grow was with various hydroponic methods. Now that soil growing has become more successful many growers are still measuring the water that runs through the soil. But, it is not necessary in soil unless there is a problem.

As @Bill284 brings up unless there is a problem with the plants then the time spent measuring the water in the saucer is not really necessary. The water after the nutrients have been added should be checked often enough that the grower is comfortable knowing that it is holding at a 6.3 pH or as close as possible to that number.

I have been using water from the same city water system for decades and it seems to hold at 6.2 to 6.3 pH so I stopped checking. There are a lot of the experienced soil growers in the group who have stopped checking so that made me comfortable with skipping it myself.

Just curious why you are checking the runoff?
It usually is meaningless in a good soil grow.
Are you having some sort of issues?
Was looking back at your reply from earlier and come to think of it, it might be helpful if we could see a photo of the entire grow with all the plants in one photograph. All four in the one photo and we could look to see if something appears to be off color or just does not look right with one of the plants. If they are in one photograph and they all look alike then there is a good chance there is no problem.

If nothing jumps out at us it could be unique to a particular strain as @Peat Phreak brings up.

Thanks all for the helpful comments. Here’s the acid freak (Runtz auto) with a portion of Amnesia photobombing. You can see what looks like calcium def rust spots but it was much more pronounced a few days ago, partly because i removed the most impacted fan leaves.

When I initially posted this no symptoms were present but as I expected they subsequently showed up. While I do have the ph in a more normal range now, the runoff continues to be more acidic than what I’m pouring in and also more than what a slurry test from two inches deep will show. Very odd. Cheers again.

20 on, 4 off

2BE5C621-B695-4293-A7C0-DA467C9E33A3.jpeg

Thanks all for the helpful comments. Here’s the acid freak (Runtz auto) with a portion of Amnesia photobombing. You can see what looks like calcium def rust spots but it was much more pronounced a few days ago, partly because i removed the most impacted fan leaves.

When I initially posted this no symptoms were present but as I expected they subsequently showed up. While I do have the ph in a more normal range now, the runoff continues to be more acidic than what I’m pouring in and also more than what a slurry test from two inches deep will show. Very odd. Cheers again.

20 on, 4 off

2BE5C621-B695-4293-A7C0-DA467C9E33A3.jpeg
Good morning my friend.
Hope you are doing well today.
I find if you are using calmag you don't need epsom salts.
Put calmag in first.
Jack's bloom booster? What's in the formula your using.
If your setting the ph in soil it's most effective at 6.3. :Namaste:
Take care.
Talk soon.

Here’s the acid freak (Runtz auto) with a portion of Amnesia photobombing. You can see what looks like calcium def rust spots but it was much more pronounced a few days ago, partly because i removed the most impacted fan leaves.

20 on, 4 off
Looking at the entire plant(s) I have the feeling that the problem might be that the plants are so large that the amount of soil, and the available micro-organisms, in the pots cannot meet the fertilizer and nutrient demands. I would not be surprised if that is similar to what you have happening.

At one time I had several similar looking plants in a vegetating stage which I tracked back to using way to much natural or organic fertilizers applied too often and in larger than recommended amounts. I backed off and stopped adding fertilizer and the plant slowly recovered. It was an interesting growing period watching the changes.

Back
Top Bottom