Fourth Crop. My first Journal! White Castle & Raspberry Cough!

funtogow

Okay, so I decided to start a journal for my next (fourth) grow in an effort to better my knowledge and how-to on growing. Looking to get some helpful hints or tips to better quality and yield of my plants. I’m a guy with a horticultural background to begin with but am always open to new and innovative ideas to better myself and my abilities. I pride myself on growing 100% organic weed for personal and friend use only. So rewarding sometimes and a lot of fun!

Like I said, I’m fairly new to growing Mary Jane and am now working on my fourth crop. I have been growing the variety ‘White Castle’ exclusively but want to venture out and try new varieties. I started with feminized seed purchased from Nirvana for my first crop and have used vegetative cuttings from that plant for the remaining crops.

The first three crops were successful but had their own individual issues/flaws along the way. What crop doesn’t have challenges? Right? My first crop, (one plant) went great. I got the “eager beaver” syndrome and harvested way too early but the quality was very nice. My second crop, (one plant) was a challenge. She got spider mites and that greatly affected the quality and yield. My third crop, (two plants) are in their fifth week of flower and are doing awesome! One is a little behind the other though. Can’t wait to harvest but willing to wait till it’s time.

This is the set-up/practices I utilized with the first three crops:

Use an indoor 3’ x 6’ closet lined with metallic silver emergency blankets.

Soil is a 75%/25% mix of Garden Bloom soil building compost and Black Gold all purpose potting soil.

Pot size began at 2” then transplanted to 6” then 3 gallon then 7 gallon.

Use one ballasted lighting unit capable of a 400 watt bulb but I’ve been using a 150 watt high pressure sodium bulb.

Not sure what the average relative humidity or soil pH has been. I haven monitored either of these.

Pests include spider mites on the second crop and some occasional fungus gnats but not a real problem. I use a “No Pest Strip” in the grow room to ward off any lurking bugs that may want to feast on my girls.

I try very hard not to over/under water. I let the soil dry out thoroughly then I water evenly and deeply.

I’ve been using bat guano as my sole fertilizer to stay within my organic mindset. I incorporate it into the soil at planting/transplanting then top dress before each watering during the vegetative stage. I haven’t been fertilizing during flowering.

I don’t use any air cooling or fans. I leave the door open during the day to allow air exchange and movement. The room stays at about 80 degrees during the day when the light is on, slightly cooler at night during flowering.

During the vegetative stage I pinch my plants about four or five times to get more main stems. My final plants are about 3 to 4 feet tall at flower.

I have been heavily grooming the plants during flowering, removing most of the large leaves to try and encourage bud production.

Here are a couple recent photos for my third crop:

3-10-10_005.jpg

3-10-10_012.jpg

3-10-10_015.jpg

Alrighty, enough with the background information…on with my journal...

My fourth crop is two plants. One White Castle (White Widow x Ice, an F1 Hybrid) and the other is Raspberry Cough (Sativa F1 cross) both are supposed to be about 15-24%. Both are from feminized seed.

On 2/28/10: I placed one seed of each variety into separate glasses of lukewarm water. I allowed these seeds to soak for 3 days in order to germinate. Using a clear glass the process is easy to monitor.

On 3/3/10: Filled two sanitized 2” pots with Black Gold seed starting soil then watered the soil well. After the pre-watered pots drained I made a ¼” hole in the center of each pot. Using mosquito forceps I gently removed each seed from their glass of water and placed it into the hole in the soil with the root pointing toward the bottom. I then gently covered the seeds with soil. Placed the two pots into a plastic container to catch any excess water then I placed that apparatus onto a heating pad (set on low) in a west facing window sill.

On 3/10/10: I took the following photo.

3-10-10_021.jpg

As the grow progresses I will continue to post updates and photos. Looking forward to any and all pointers and hopefully making some new 420 friends here.

Cheers!

Re: Fourth Crop....My first Journal! White Castle & Raspberry Cough!

Hey 3lions...good to have you on board!

Just an update: Decided last night to test my White Castle, it's about 6 weeks into flower (some photos above in my original post). Was really harsh due to the quick dry for test purposes but kicked my A$$!!! I had only one hit and whew!!! Some dank shit right there and I am so frickin excited. Watching the trichs, I still think it's going to be 2-3 more weeks and can't wait! I'm telling you...taking time in the growing process really makes a world of difference in quality!

:slide:

Dont they sell little burgers at white castle?

Stop making me envious, I have the full 3 months to wait!

:yikes:

HEEEEEY man !
I was just looking up the two strains I am growing and found your post. Yep Im growing white castle and rasberry cough. My brother picked up the seeds in amsterdam for me from a seed bank.
Great journal man ! my setup is similar in that Im growing in soil and using nothing artificial. Not even nutes cos the soil I've been using has given me such good yields. When I tried to water with nutes just got nute burn right away, so it's aux naturale now.

I haven't timed the flowering so all i can say is the WC is just starting to show brown hairs (a big white bundle of love otherwise) and the raspberry is still growing its buds so a while on that one yet.

2 things -
I heard if you trim the fan leaves you might decrease yield as it needs these to make energy and grow the buds themselves. However I have heard of other people doing what you do too, so if anyone knows for sure can they let us know?

last decent strain i had growing I might have cropped too early but it also kicked my arse. I want to make sure these get left for the full duration and maximum yield, but last time the thing didn't stop growing pistils or they sat at about a 50/50 ratio on the main cola for ages so eventually I just chopped it. I try to use the trics as indicators but Im not very good at that. I know this being a different strain will hopefully behave differently but if you've cropped White Castle anything I should pay attention for?
Anyone know any other good indicators of peak ripeness?

Thanks

Hey jonfire...

Glad you ran into my journal, hope you will come around often and share ideas, tips & tricks so we all can benefit from it! I think it's EXTREMELY cool you happened to choose the same varieties as I did. Did alot of researching and alot of thinking before I decided on specific varieties.

Also really glad to hear someone else out there likes the organic thing. Most I talk to don't really care about being organic just high yields! To me quality and being organic is much, much more important than huge yields. If I want more then I will just grow more plants. I NEVER use any fertilizer other than bat guano and I NEVER use co2 either. The soil I've been using works well for me so I keep using it.

How old is your current crop? Where you located? Just curious...

Yes, I've cropped Wh. Castle but this is my first with Rasp. Cough. As for peak indicators I use my sight and look at the trichs. Fortunately I have access to a high power microscope so I look at the trichs and when about 50% are cloudy or amber in color it's ready! Before I decided to look at trichs I just harvested in stages to see which stage I liked best. I like to harvest Wh. Castle a bit early (at about 65 days of flower) personally...it's just my preference though. Honestly, within reason, there really isn't a right or wrong stage to harvest. The peak window is about two weeks so anytime in that time is good.

As far as the fan leaves...I used to do no trimming. A good grower friend of mine told me if I trimmed after starting flower then the plant puts more energy into bud production rather than into larger leaf production. I'm not completely sold on the trimming thing but I do get a slightly larger yield when I trim. Not a big deal though, it's a small difference. I'm still playing around with the trimming idea. If anyone else out there has input about this trimming issue then get to tellin us!

Well, welcome aboard my friend! Love to make new friends and share stuff!

Journal Update:

On 3/17/10 I watered these girls for the first time, used regular tap water. Before watering I top dressed the soil with 1/2 tbsp. bat guano fertilizer.

They are now just about 20 days old and about 2"tall.

On 3/19/10 I took this photo, quite a bit of growth from the one above taken on 3/10:

3-19-10_033.jpg

Here are a couple other pics I took of them individually:

3-19-10_027.jpg

3-19-10_032.jpg

It's interesting...the Raspberry Cough germinated a bit slower, she is also smaller in size as well. Perhaps that variety grows slower than the White Castle?

I also tapped the larger plant out of the pot to check the root system. Looks like they will need to be transplanted into larger pots next week! Man they really do develop and grow quickly! Below is a pic of the roots at just 20 days from initial seed soak! Roots are just barely beginning to form on the surface of the soil next to the pot.

3-19-10_035.jpg

Yours are doing okay above ground but my root structure has far more coming out of the bottom after only 10 days. I will try take some pics tomorrow. If you think those are close to needing transplant then I guess mne definately will already. (?)

I was just saying there were roots at the surface of the pot. Not quite ready for transplanting yet I agree. However, I don't let any of my plants get too rootbound.

Our babies are at asimilar heights. I have transplanted already as they were having slight issues. After about 9 days growth the roots were like this:

roots111.JPG

I had added some rhizotonic which helps with root growth, maybe that is why there is such a big difference.. however I sprayed the leaves and gave some burn I think so more care needed in future.

I twill be very interesting comparing our grows for sure, even tho different strains

:thumb:

Hey all~

Time for my weekly post...since the seedlings are fairly young, not too much happining yet. They are growing nicely though about an inch in just the last week.

On 3/22/10 seedlings were dry. Top dressed soil with 1/2 TBSP bat guano and watered thoroughly with regular luke warm tap water.

On 3/26/10 seedlings were dry again. Thoroughly watered with regular luke warm tap water.

Here are a few photos from today 3/26/10:

Raspberry Cough:
3-26-10_031.jpg

White Castle:
3-26-10_030.jpg

Hey 3lions... Yeah, those two were treated EXACTLY the same! Same germ date, same planting date and all. I'm thinking that the Raspberry Cough is a slower growing variety.

Also....just a side note. I am so frickin EXCITED! Got bomb ass deal on a SunSystem 400w HPS last night! Switched the lighting system from my 150w HPS to this 400w big boy this morning for my girls. Might not make that much difference for them at this point as harvest is just a couple weeks away. Just super happy to have a brighter light for flowering!

Yee Haw!!!!!!!!1

Yayyyyyy wtg man, welcome to the 400 club haha I dont have experience with cfl etc I just jumped straight in with these. Remember to keep your eye on the temps tho as I highy suspect a few degrees higher for you now

Thanks man! I jumped right in with HPS also....never used cfl's, I just think the cfl's don't do "as" good of job from what I've seen.

I'm watchin the temps...yes, definately increased about 10 degrees! I gave my closet more ventillation and added a small fan for air circulation. With the minor adjustments
I'm holding about 78F. What is the optimal temp anyway?

Oh noooooo, 78?!?

Id say the perfect temp was about, ermm, 78

Oh, and about 2 feet from top of the plants is supposed to be optimal distance too

Awesome! Well, due to the small closet I'm using I only have about one foot between the plant and light right now. They're almost done anyway and I am watching for issues.

They will handle the heat better the older they are, like most things of course but that is close so yeahh keep a close eye out for curling n stuff..

Back
Top Bottom