Fresno County Issues Medical Marijuana ID Cards

Five years after voters in the state approved a measure allowing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, Fresno County has agreed to issue marijuana ID cards.

If you have a note from a doctor saying you need pot, and $107, you can get a card allowing you to be in possession of a small quantity of marijuana, for medical use.

Jena Adams, Fresno County Health Department, says "The card will allow them to possess and to grow a certain amount of marijuana and to use for their medical purposes."

It's welcome news to Diana Kirby. She uses marijuana for pain management and other medical problems. She'll be first in line to get a marijuana card. It will keep her from being arrested. "Actually it makes the police officers life a little easier and it takes a little of the fright from most of us who have to travel somewhere to get our medication."

The Fresno County Health Department is offering a packet of information on how to get a card. The information is also online. They key is a Doctor's note saying the patient needs marijuana. "We do not need to know the diagnosis, just that they qualify," says Adams.

While California law enforcement officers will not arrest someone who has pot and a valid card, it's still a federal crime. But Action News legal analyst and attorney, Tony Capozzi says the feds won't get involved unless someone has a lot of pot, or is selling it. "The federal government won't come in an prosecute someone who is using it for medical purposes, so long as the possession of that marijuana is in small quantities," says Capozzi.

Those who operate marijuana dispensaries are still subject to federal prosecution. In Fresno County possession of 6 mature, or a dozen immature plants and 8 ounces of pot will be allowed with a valid marijuana card. Cards can be applied for now. They won't be issued until December 2nd.

The intent of the law is to allow those who have a medical need for marijuana to be able to get it. It's not for recreational users

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Fresno News ABC30.com
Author: Gene Haagenson
Copyright: 2008 ABC Inc., KFSN-TV/DT Fresno, CA.

Why would a person spend the money for a state card when it's not required? As I see it, all these people now are listed in a file that could be easily slipped to the feds.

All that is required to be a legal medical cannabis user and grower in California is a doctors recommendation and for you to stay withing the plant count and processed amount your county enforces or doctor recommends. No card is required. A recommendation will keep you as legal as that card does.

^^ So? i have my 215 card and i have been ticketed by the local police because they are ignorant. (The case was later thrown out in court) But still simply dealing with the judicial process in California is so unnecessary. I agree that the card is an extra, not a necessity, but i feel like the cards further legitimize patients from those abusing the system to just get high.

Racefan is right in my opinion. I agree that legally the card is not necessary.

Still I want to see the card system fully implemented and I'll offer my arguments below:

1) It's a way of forcing each county to acknowledge that the law really is valid. (why pass up a chance to strike a blow at resistance)
2) It's yet another symbolic step towards changing the unjust cannabis laws
3) Any cops that feel justified in ignoring the 215/420 laws, lose a little bit more of their argument (which may or may not stop them)
4) It might help convince a cop not to hassle a patient where a doctors note alone might not (though it should)
5) The new AG guidelines advise the cops to accept the cards are absolute proof of valid status as a MMJ patient. (why not buy the insurance)

We all know that one of the drug warriors' occasional tactics is to arrest even though they know the patient will get off in court, or that the charges will eventially be dropped. While this is better than the old days, it's a left handed way of punishing patients, because they are put through the inconvenience and expense of arrest, lawyers, and prosecution.

I'm arguing that anything that helps normalize the cause is a good thing.

All the above said, the cost of the card is an issue. I acknowledge that not all patients can afford the expense, nor should the have to. I'm hoping that each county enacts a program for the above stated reasons, and that patients that can afford to decide to participate.

With all the problems it is a step in the right direction. In GA you do not have this option and they will still put you in jail for a joint. It is like a nightmare what our country is doing to us just for greed.

Give me liberty or give me death!

I live in Norcal[sac] and prefer to agree with RaceFan,that these weed cards are a hassle,and not really needed.I think small time possesion in Ca.,now results in drug school for FIRST offenses,no jail.The cops would prefer that you have a card,so they can take your weed and let you off,as they are aware of the conflict with federal law in CA.Hopefully Obama will keep the DEAfrom hassling weed smokers here.How many laws do we have to pass to make it clear that Ca.has more to worry about than weed ? I have 2 doctors letters,but dont want to pay for a renewal...like $110..

I live in Kings County (Calif) where they too just approved the MMJ Cards. Ive been waiting a long time for this because I would prefer to have one if I run into a maverick cop out there. BUT, if Im not mistaken the Kings Co website says that it will cost almost $200 for the card. Im not paying that much for the card every year. I'll just take my chances. I only smoke at home, and I only carry it when I go to a dispensary.

Back
Top Bottom