Full Circle Market Celebrates Hemp History Week With CBD Event

Christine Green

Hemp has a rich tradition in Kentucky dating back to its domestic production during World War II.
Industrial hemp is woven throughout American and Kentucky history, and this week that history and a recent revitalization of hemp is being celebrated during Hemp History Week.

As part of the celebration, CV Sciences – a leading consumer product division of botanical-based cannabidiol (CBD) products which enhance quality of life – was in Winchester Monday evening at Full Circle Market for a Hemp for Health presentation.

The two-hour session featured music from Grits & Soul members Anna Kline and John Looney, appetizers and a educational presentation by Stuart Tomc, vice president of human nutrition at CV Sciences, who spoke of CBD, its discovery, natural sources and how the products endocannabinoid interactions relate to human health.

"It's an industry that's known for some fast talking salespeople and the history of this entire wellness, going back to covered wagons, salesmen got a bad rap," Tomc said. "I've been focusing my career on the direct source information, not exaggerating what the potential benefits could be and helping people feel confident to experiment to find out if they respond or not.

"That way, we're not trying to sell them anything."

CV Sciences develops, produces, markets and sells raw oil and end-consumer Plus CBD Oil products containing hemp-based components with the emphasis on CBD. Tomc said CV Sciences is the first company to grow, extract, import and produced phytocannabinoid-rich hemp-derived extracts.

He also spoke of the human body's endogenous cannabinoid system, called the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) made of cannabinoid receptors in the brain and throughout the central and peripheral nervous systems which is responsible for the maintenance of metabolic equilibrium.

Science has linked the ECS, which was discovered in 1992, to complex processes from anxiety and appetite to pain, immunity, memory and mood. A person's endocannabinoid system is directly involved if one is suffering from anxiety, immune system issues, seizures, Alzheimer's, Huntington's disease, multiple sclerosis, pain, nausea, arthritis or even cancer.

The CBD mechanism helps support the ECS, which is a system designed to help when the body is in a state of imbalance.

"I think the big discovery is the endogenous endocannabinoid system," Tomc said. "It's the system we're born with, the system we were given to help keep us in balance."

Tomc said it's only the hemp plant which contains the phytocannabinoids, CBD in particular, which speak directly to our endocannabinoid system.

"What we're trying to do with the hemp plant is to balance the endocannabinoid system," Tomc said. "Certain cannabidiol may or may not have effects on the system."

A variety of CV Sciences products, including their top-selling product the PlusCBD Oil Spray, are available for purchase at Full Circle Market and were tested at the presentation.

The spray comes in a one-ounce container containing 100 milligrams of CBD.

"What really resonates with me about this product is a lot of people when CBD was first discovered, they were getting it from marijuana and you had to strip out the THC to get the cannabidiol oil," Full Circle Market owner Laura Sheehan said. "Now that hemp is legal in Kentucky and being grown, we're learning you can get that same oil from hemp and you don't have to pull out the THC. It's readily available and I'm really excited. "I think Kentucky farmers are going to do well with this product for nutritional purposes."

Agricultural hemp is also an eco-friendly crop. Grown outdoors, hemp requires much less water than medical cannabis. It also doesn't require artificial lights, fungicides, pesticides or fertilizers.

"It actually re-soils the ground," Sheehan said.

Josh Hendrix, director of business development and domestic production for CV Sciences, said he became involved with hemp three years ago.

"When the farm bill passed I quit my job in Virginia and moved home (Mount Sterling)," Hendrix said. "It looked like something cool I could get involved with and I was interested in it in college.

"I saw it as an emerging industry for Kentucky. With the history of hemp I thought we could play off it like we do bourbon."

Hendrix said over the past three years he's emerged himself in hemp production, talking and networking with people from Australia, Europe and across the United States.

"We're constantly trying to think of how do we get this infrastructure into play and how do we take it to different levels," Hendrix said. "I think hemp has become a lifestyle brand and it's only going to continue to go up. People will start to them of it as a daily supplement or vitamin."

Being eco-friendly to grow, Hendrix envisions Kentucky being the Silicon Valley of hemp, and to expand outward.

"Hemp History Weeks is a cool event and Kentucky has a rich tradition," Hendrix said. "To be able to do something neat like this locally and to launch this product is great.

"Everybody in Kentucky thinks hemp is cool and great for the economy and great for farmers, but Kentuckians aren't the ones buying it yet. We really need people to support it with their wallets anyway they can."

hemp60.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pardon Our Interruption
Author: Steve Foley
Photo Credit:

Back
Top Bottom