Georgia: Locals React To Marijuana Law

Jacob Redmond

Gov. Nathan Deal signed the potentially life-saving, yet highly controversial, Haleigh’s Hope Act into law Thursday.

The bill, also known as HB1, legalizes in Georgia medicinal marijuana in the form of cannabis oil. The act, written by Rep. Allen Peake, has been a two-year battle among politicians, medical care workers, law enforcement agencies and caregivers whose loved ones could benefit from the oil.

“It has been a wild roller coaster ride,” said Dale Jackson.

Jackson has a 7-year-old autistic son and has been at the forefront of the fight to legalize cannabis oil in the state. He joined Deal at the capitol Thursday morning to see his dream became a reality.

“It was definitely worth it,” he said. “It was vital that the parts of the proposal that did pass, passed this year. It will help children in Georgia. It will help people see the benefits of the oil and being less fearful of it.”

HB1 makes cannabis oil legal for nine medical conditions: cancer, ALS, seizures, multiple sclerosis, Crohn’s disease, mitochondrial disease, Parkinson’s disease and sickle-cell anemia. Most of the diseases must have a severe diagnosis or be terminal for patients to qualify for the use medicinal marijuana.

Doctors will have to sign off on those patients and submit required forms, according to the bill. Only after being approved by state officials will people be given a registration card.

Jackson said patients in the state of Georgia will be allowed to possess up to 20 ounces of the cannabis oil. The oil must also have less than 5 percent THC - the chemical in marijuana that causes a “high.”

But Jackson said there are still some pitfalls concerning HB1 - mainly with how those who qualify in the bill will purchase the oil. It will still be illegal to grow or buy marijuana in Georgia, and the state is not presently opening any cultivation labs. Families will have to cross state lines to buy the cannabis oil or have it shipped to them, which breaks state and federal laws.

“The law will help these families, but it will only help them because they’re willing to break the law to get it here,” Jackson explained. “I’d like to see the bill help others who aren’t facing life-threatening situations … There’s also no guide to help parents, to show them this is the strain of the oil that you need to help your children. That’s why we need in-state cultivation labs - to increase our knowledge.”

A committee made up of state politicians, medical professionals, law enforcement officers and others will be studying the most effective way to open cultivation labs in Georgia. They’ll take a year to compile the data and present it before Gov. Deal and the General Assembly during the 2016 legislative session.

Not everyone is happy with the passage of HB1. Jamie Daniel, the coordinator for the Troup County Prevention Coalition, said she believes the state overstepped it’s boundaries in legalizing medicinal marijuana.

“I think it is really irresponsible of the state to increase access (to cannabis oil) without medical proof that it is not going to be harmful in the long term,” she said. “Other medications go through the FDA and it is an extremely long process.

“Do I sympathize with parents who are desperate to get medical treatment for their children? Absolutely. Do I think it should be approved by the FDA? Absolutely. I feel like this is getting pushed through quickly without the proper procedures in place to make sure it is safe.”

While Jackson fought hard for the passage of HB1, his family was disappointed that autism was removed from the list of disorders that qualify under the bill.

“For us, personally, our hopes that Colin would specifically qualify for it are still unknown,” he said. “That’s what’s so frustrating with the bill. It’s a constant state of wonder. We’re ready to know and get started.”

Jackson said there may be a chance Colin will qualify because of his seizures that are associated with autism. It will be up to a doctor and the state to decide if the 7 year old will receive the cannabis oil, he noted.

“I really want the opportunity to try it,” said Sarah Jackson, Dale Jackson’s wife and Colin’s mom. “We’ve done everything else at this point. We really want to communicate with Colin. We really want him to interact with us.”

Sarah Jackson’s battle with HB1 has mainly been on the homefront as she cares for Colin and the severe effects of his autism. The 7 year old is low functioning and cannot speak, feed himself or complete simple tasks like tying his shoes or using the bathroom. The Jacksons said Colin has also developed some “tics,” mainly banging his head on objects.

“There’s no typical morning,” she said. “He wakes up early, sometimes at 3 a.m., then he bangs on his bedroom door. We have to get him before he wakes up our other two children, then occupy him until school … he doesn’t understand danger. We limit his time in the kitchen because if he sees that pretty blue flame (from the stove), he’ll touch it. He likes to bang on windows, he’s destructive to the blinds. We try to tell him ‘no,’ but it just doesn’t compute.”

Colin communicates by outbursts - whether he’s happy or sad - making it difficult to take him into public places like a restaurant or even the grocery store, Sarah Jackson said.

“Situations like this are hard,” she said. “He’s upset about something, but he can’t tell us what it is or what is bothering him.”

The Jacksons hope the cannabis oil can work to decrease the outbursts and “tics” so Colin can effectively communicate with his parents.

“I believe it can quiet those sensory overloads in his environment so he can focus and learn,” Sarah Jackson said. “My biggest hope is that he speaks … that he can tell us how he is and what he needs. That he learns independence and he learns to care for himself.”

Added Dale Jackson: “I can’t stomach the idea of Colin being in any discomfort. We know cannabis oil is not a cure for autism, but from what we’ve learned, it’s the most promising. It can help so at least other therapies can take hold and he can learn to read and write.”

The Jacksons are not giving up on their son or HB1. Dale said he has been in contact with state senators about making amendments to the bill next year. The changes would include bringing more national organizations into the mix, adding autism to the list of disorders and advocating that medicinal marijuana cultivation labs be allowed to open in the state.

13924.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana law: Locals react Families on hand at capitol as bill signed into law - LaGrange Daily News - lagrangenews.com
Author: Melanie Ruberti
Photo Credit: Melanie Ruberti

Not everyone is happy with the passage of HB1. Jamie Daniel, the coordinator for the Troup County Prevention Coalition, said she believes the state overstepped it's boundaries in legalizing medicinal marijuana.

"I think it is really irresponsible of the state to increase access (to cannabis oil) without medical proof that it is not going to be harmful in the long term," she said. "Other medications go through the FDA and it is an extremely long process.

"Do I sympathize with parents who are desperate to get medical treatment for their children? Absolutely. Do I think it should be approved by the FDA? Absolutely. I feel like this is getting pushed through quickly without the proper procedures in place to make sure it is safe."

Well, of course you'll always get the naysayer who has obviously not done their homework and looked into the fact based information that's been collected in so many other states that have had medical Cannabis in place for years now before opening their big mouths to say that "there's not enough positive evidence to give support to the treatment of diseases with Cannabis".

It's almost like their saying "only the research done in this state alone is viable research"...what a load of horse hockey to think that so many medical professionals in so many other states are wrong, when the overwhelming evidence and research that has been proved time and time and time again proves without a doubt that it works.

What? Are the doctors and scientist here in Georgia somehow using a larger percent of their brains or something? Oh, what? The doctors and scientists in all those other states must be lying about their findings that Cannabis is actually working for so many people? REALLY!?!?!?

Reality check; They think Cannabis sales will somehow cut into the kickbacks they get from big pharma, alcohol and tobacco sales and that's, as they say "What's Up"...It's ALL about greed, money and control and NEVER about the welfare and common good of the people they're sworn to protect, EVER!!!

Back
Top Bottom