Germinating in Water. Do you leave it in water till tap root appears?

veritas1983

420 Member
K, I'm trying to germinate some seeds. I've got some in a paper towel. And I've put some in the shot glass with water. Now my Q's is do I leave the seeds in the water till they start to sprout roots? or do I just leave it overnight and then put in paper towel? Can I just leave it in the water till the roots bust out? Any insight from experience would be well Appreciated !! Thanx :tokin:

Re: Germinating in Water. Do you leave it in water till tap root appears??

best wa i found, get a takeaway container or tupaware box. put a couple of sheets of kitchen towle wet it and wring it slightly so its not saturated, then close, wrap in cling film and put in a warm place. top of boiler or behind fridge.... this is how i did it with mine... a.m.s ones i did germed within 2 days and the roots were about an inch long ^.^ hope this helps

I use a small tuperware contaner, wet paper towels on bottom then seeds then wet paper towels on top then seal container, seeds will crack within 48 hours, plant when tap is visable. I havent used the cup of water method, but I`ve heard that the seeds thaat fall to the bottom are viable seeds, peace!

Cool Thanx Fellus Is there anyone that has done the water method? if so can you just leave them till roots start to show? :grinjoint:

Thanx Stank ! So you've done this b 4 huh? How long can you leave seeds in water? Will seed germ to a size of about half inch? or is that too long?

i have left them in a glass of water so long before that the tap roots came all the way out of the seed hull and were approx 1" long planted them this way and all was fine.
i have also seen plenty of sinkers and floaters crack and be good--so it really doesn't matter if they sink or float--seems most people do some variation of the wet paper towel method but i prefer the glass of water method myself.

Rite on Green :blunt: So Seems 2 me the best and easiest way to germ is just pop them in a shot glass of water till they Sprout. Why hassle with paper in Stuff. BamBam Thank U Mam ! :goodluck: 2 Every 1

not sure about the shot glass i guess that depends on how hot and dry your spot is but with that little water it may evaporate before they crack. i usually use a 16 oz. solo cup about 3/4 full and set it in a dark cupboard that only gets opened to see if they cracked yet usually less than 3 days although 1 time it took 6 days for them to crack and a few times they were cracked and ready after just one day in the cup. on average i'd guess that i get 90% success this way although i had 10 lowlife auto ak seeds which only 2 sprouted but this was a rare occasion for me and i blamed the seedbank--seeds looked immature and the 2 i thought wouldnt sprout were the only 2 that did.

Thanx 4 your knowledgeable insight. Much Appreciated. I hope others can learn this and have an easy way of germing. Cool :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom