Germinating question

jungle jungle

Hi guys

How do i go about this with the Deep Water Culture system.

Should i do it in kitchen paper,or do it in the smaller rockwoll cubes?

and then when i see roots showing through,is it then ok to transfer them into the larger rockwool cubes and into my system

im still quite confused by this:reading420magazine:

many thanks

I would germinate in the rock wool cubes and then transfer to your system. You could also just go ahead and germinate in the rock wool cubes with them in your system. Just don't have the feeder tubes running yet or you could run the risk of drowning them.

I have heard people do it both ways.

If you are going to germinate in the rockwoll I would start with the same cube you plan to use through out the grow.

Remember to soak the cubes in ph'd water for several hours before you place the seeds or sprouts in them.

I did it the paper towel method.

OK thanks guys.

the place where i bought the setup from..the guy was telling me that i dont need to ph the water because the air from the bubbles would keep it regulated..is there any truth to that?.

also,i have a 400 watt hps bulb in the tent, would this be ok to use..and how long do i leave them in the dark before i start using the light

thanks

OK thanks guys.

the place where i bought the setup from..the guy was telling me that i dont need to ph the water because the air from the bubbles would keep it regulated..is there any truth to that?.

also,i have a 400 watt hps bulb in the tent, would this be ok to use..and how long do i leave them in the dark before i start using the light

thanks

PH is very important. The bubbles will not regulate the PH. That is misinformation.

400 HPS light will work great.

I don't understand the 3rd question......
If you are talking about germinating the seeds in the dark. I would plant the seeds as soon as they crack open. Plant with the open face of the crack facing downward.

sorry i should have made it more clear what i meant.

basically..i see videos of people germinating their seeds in a seperate system to what they use for the veg/flowering stage, and the lights are not as powerful as hps bulbs.

now i dont have the money for anything else at the moment, so wanted to know if it would be possible to use my tent and its 400 watt bulb without doing damage to the young plant ?.

would it simply be a case of me keeping my light at a nice height above the young plant,until its got more strength,to which then i could bring my light closer to the plant.?

hope this explains it better

many thanks

No Problem.

You can use the 400 HPS light for the whole process. Keeping the light far enough away so the plants don't burn.

Are you going to start a journal?

thanks for that mate. : )

so many little things niggling away at me.lol

yes i will be starting a journal when my seeds arrive which will be 2moro : )

thank you

yep 400 w hps veg light will work just fine it's just a little overkill for a few weeks i'd leave it high till u see a little stretch. Watch your air temps and humidity. It is possible to clone and seed under small CFL lights. a simple 2 bulb system low power and no heat aka. u can just put the light at the height of the plants. Also don't forget atleast an 18/6 light /dark cycle. good luck

. Also don't forget atleast an 18/6 light /dark cycle. good luck[/QUOTE]

Would this 18 on 6 off cycle,start from the minute i put those germinated seeds into my tent?

thanks

jungle u should read all or Rosemans guide posts just above this one they are all stickys and full of more info in all of his expert advice.

Cool..sorry to sound so novice,i just need to keep going over things until they are drummed into my head.lol

and im right in thinking this light process goes on for around 2 weeks or so before switching to the 12/12?

edit..will go through rosemans guides..thanks for your time though folks..i really appreicate it

Also,once id put the germinated seeds into the rockwool and into my system, would i add the nutrients to the water straight away (as the seed would only have one root so i cant see what the use of nutes would be until its roots have developed) ?

You should wait at least a week to add nutes or once the 2nd set of true leaves show. Just use ph balanced water until then and when you are ready to start the nutes do not add full strength nutes, add about 1/4th of what your normally would. Then up it a little bit at a time as they grow till you are using full strength.

Back
Top Bottom