Germinating Question

DanserDar

420 Member
I put the seed in chem bal water in cup and put in dark grow tent and checked about 18 hrs later but the seed had not sunk so i tapped her and she did sink. How long is it safe to leave her in the cup before moving to paper towel?

just a suggestion,, not going to go into a detailed sermon about how to germinate seeds,,

but,,

leave the seeds on the surface of the water,, don't sink them,, they will germinate as normal on the surface of the water,, and you do not need to worry about drowning them

leave em there till they crack and show a root

i know it goes against the norm procedures,, but only cuz folks don;t know

cheers and karma sent friend

i could go into how one might want to scarify the pointy end of the seed first before putting on the water surface,, that will nearly guarantee the seed cracking

but that's another thread

oh,, that sunk seed,, take it out of the water,, dry it gently with tissue,, let it sit for a few minutes,, then gently place it on the surface of the water,, it will float

Thank you. Brand new grower here --> obviously. All newbies are different of course. I do an enormous amount of reading but exact info like this is not easy to find. New growers like me tend to be like first time mothers (way to nervous). Knowing that I appreciate your post.

just a suggestion,, not going to go into a detailed sermon about how to germinate seeds,,

but,,

leave the seeds on the surface of the water,, don't sink them,, they will germinate as normal on the surface of the water,, and you do not need to worry about drowning them

leave em there till they crack and show a root

i know it goes against the norm procedures,, but only cuz folks don;t know

cheers and karma sent friend

i could go into how one might want to scarify the pointy end of the seed first before putting on the water surface,, that will nearly guarantee the seed cracking

but that's another thread

oh,, that sunk seed,, take it out of the water,, dry it gently with tissue,, let it sit for a few minutes,, then gently place it on the surface of the water,, it will float
Is the pointy end the root end? Should i skip the paper towel then?

the pointy end is the root end, yes,,

i am only telling you what i do,, i use no paper towel,, my seeds go directly from the glass where the seed cracked straight to the pot, into the soil/whatever

as for the scarify,, put strong glasses on and use fine sandpaper like a matchbook used to be,, gently, at the tip and a bit down each ridge on the side

I cheated on the grow instructions from the seed coI ordered from Only because I am a new grower and was impatient I let them soak over night one sank 3 floated instead of leaving them until they all sank I put them in a paper towel on a plate put it in a closet and kept it wet. 100% germination and I used the same procedure with 3 more and 100% again. So I think I just stumbled upon what works for me in my situation or luck who knows.

Is the pointy end the root end? Should i skip the paper towel then?

You've taken care of the first step in germination, the uptake of water through the seed coat. I would skip the paper towel. It needs to be placed in a warm, moist, medium and left alone so that the 2nd stage of germination can begin. Moist not wet is key. The seed has to transpire, intaking oxygen and giving off CO2. An already soaked seed in a wet environment risks suffocation and damping off. Good luck.

I soak seeds in a 10:1 mix of water:h2o2 until there's a tap root then into soil.

Several reasons for using h2o2.

One being to get rid of bacteria/virus left from hands touching seed.

I've never had any damping off aka Fusarium which is a fungi using the above mentioned method.

Seed has been soaking in cup for 2 days now. Did not sink and no root tap. What could be the issue as these seeds are from a reputable bank? Other seed of same sort rooted in a rapid rooter but not healthy as i did not get her light in time.

Seed has been soaking in cup for 2 days now. Did not sink and no root tap. What could be the issue as these seeds are from a reputable bank? Other seed of same sort rooted in a rapid rooter but not healthy as i did not get her light in time.

I don't understand why you would soak a seed for two days. It's like submerging your head underwater for 10 minutes. It's not the water that kills you, it's the lack of oxygen. A seed is no different. It needs to transpire.

Hmmm...interesting read. I guess I am the dummy too, as the instruction for germination that came with mine said drop them in a cup of water and they will sprout within 3 days.....And that is what I have done, although I have had as low as a 40% germination rate. company has always replaced my seeds. Once they sprout do you put them directly in soil, or let the root grow out a bit?

Once they sprout do you put them directly in soil, or let the root grow out a bit?

i know a lotto folks let the tails get half inch or even longer,,:eek:

just remember this,, the longer the tail is the more chance of damaging it while planting

again, this just me,, but i, not even twenty minutes ago, planted a seed that has been in the water like i do for just over 24 hrs

meaning the tail just poked it's turtle head out

my thinking,, once the seed has cracked,, i know it is a viable seed, so i don't wait long to plant er

My personal method has been very successful I use 4 full sheets of wet papertowel folded on a plate drain off excess water put seeds on and fold over once. I then place another plate on top and put them on top of my fridge. Within 24hrs they’ve typically hatched another 12-24 and the tap root is ready for soil in a 3” pot. I satuate the soil when i begin the process so its just damp when the seeds planted then just mist to keep surface damp. Seed sprouts and boom shes growing!
i skip the glass soak and although limited air flows thru towel they are not in a sealed container I believe thats where some ppl go wrong. Temperature is key to cold and seeds wont sprout and to cold sprouts wont root and to wet and or cold seedlings wont thrive. Its a balance after awhile you get a feel for. My own grows are anything but laboratory conditions but I treat em right and it works!
MerryChristmas to All
Happy 420:slide:

Back
Top Bottom