Got more problems

bobj

I'm thinking it's a potassium deficiency.

Leaves are curling down, developing a very sickly looking form of yellowing on the outer leaf edges in addition to 'canoeing' upwards. I was just looking over the plant and watering when I noticed these little specks of brown-orange looking rust on a couple of plants. Not sure what it is. I just watered so I don't want to take a soil sample, but I'm willing to bet there's more than enough potassium in the soil, I was the one who added the potassium fertilizer. If it is due to a potassium deficiency it's probably due to a lockout. But of what?

What could the issue be?

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

Hey Bobj,

Agree it could be p def but we’ve got the cart pulling the horse. its really difficult to troubleshoot without details

media - soil, soilless, coco, hydroton, nft, flood & drain, dwc, rdwc, aquaponics
what nutes? how often
are you adjusting ph?
how often do you water?
how much volume?
how do you determine when it’s time to water again?

if you purchase a decent soil then there should be minimal worries about soil ph etc, since their reputation is at stake most are pretty skilled ensuring batches meet guaranteed analysis on the bag…

Skip the miracle grow brand and anything labeled as feeds for X number of months since that means pre-nuted, some good brands are Fox Farms, Coast of Maine, roots organic

might help to drop a whole plant pic

Okay so this was the best I could do for pics of the 'whole plant' it does not do it justice, however. I had to turn down my light to 25% intensity to get the picture.

anyhow,

media - soil, soilless, coco, hydroton, nft, flood & drain, dwc, rdwc, aquaponics
I'm using OMRI PROMIX herb & veg mix

what nutes? how often
I'm using PROMIX OMRI granular fertilizer, a tsp. less than the recommended dose. So 4tbsps. of the 4 1/2 tbsp. recommended dose

are you adjusting ph?
I'm not adjusting my pH, as I'm using soil

how often do you water?
Not as often as I should be, HOWEVER I've recently changed the habit, I'm watering every 3 days now

how much volume?
I'm assuming you mean pot size? 5 gallon. I usually use a gallon of water to water, did that on August 4th, and since then, two days ago I gave 4 cups of water around the edge. Today, I watered using 2 cups around the edge of the pot

how do you determine when it’s time to water again?
N/A

I have been having issues for about a couple of weeks now. I've observed that my plants are not growing as fast as they should be. My leaves were yellowing from the bottom up, at first I never noticed this yellowing to occur. It was only when I look at one of the bigger fan leaves on my faster growing plant that I observed it was turning a great deal yellow. I found this same yellowing phenomenon on one of my other plants, with a hue of pink on it. I deduced that it was due to a magnesium deficiency and/or sulphur deficiency, so I watered in a tbsp. of epsom salts. That was on August 4th, I have not added anything else since then. These epsom salts were broken down very well, I boiled and whisked them into a 1liter container before adding to my plants, which was then followed up with a gallon of water being poured in after that. And believe me, my plants EXPLODED with new life, the one plant that WAS growing the fastest is no longer in the lead. And now I have these orange tips on some of my plants. Red stems galore, yellowing leaves and when I just tried looking for these spots on my other plants, I couldn't observe any but I found something.. peculiar. This leaf in the last photo I'm going to upload looks almost perfectly healthy, save for the tip. I've seen nutrient burn, but not like this. What is this?

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

watering too frequently, don’t water according to a human schedule. Let the plants tell you when they need water.

1) Lift the pot method… fill same size container with same soil mix except do not add any water. The container of dry soil is used as comparison weight. Now either lift the pot for weight guesstimate or weigh the container of dry soil on digital kitchen scales and note the weight. Now weigh your container with the damaged plant. Compare weight of the 2 containers …. the plant itself weighs nothing the difference is the water weight. Know that a container of dry soil is light as a feather

2) Buy a pack of bamboo skewer sticks, remove one from the pack and start about 1 inch away from outside edge of container and insert the stick into the soil at an angle. You want the pointed end to hit it the center of the container and press it in to make sure it hits bottom. Leave the skewer in the soil for an hour and after that time has elapsed remove the stick. There should be a visible indicator line on the dip stick as to the moisture level inside the container. Compare color and the feel of your used dip stick with an unused skewer straight from the package…. notice how the dip stick removed from the soil feels cool & damp….

a dip stick needs to hit the bottom of the container. Gravity works so that when top layer of soil is dry - the bottom is still very much wet. Roots need oxygen and can’t find it in continuously wet or damp soil. A plant that size should be able to go 5 to 7 days easily (perhaps longer) with no water added.

it’s no longer a tiny seedling and has been on nutes for a while - I’d suggest bumping up to the manufacturers recommended dosage.

Saw your other thread post & wanted to add…. dude there’s crap tons of probs starting out, don’t be discouraged -you are doing fantastic work. keep studying here & we’ve got your back!

Back
Top Bottom