Great plant! Not great smoke... Why?

marcusk

Alright ladies & gents... Here is a serious question for you all... I hope to get some opinions soon because I can't go through this again.

I have one of the best strains out there (Purple Kush). This strain has received rave reviews and acclaim from everyone... before I got hold of it. The harvest is done and everything was great. It looked great (like a centerfold in 420 mag). It has an awesome smell. Everything great right??!! Wrong... I shopped it around I have gotten not so good reviews from my samplers. Everyone agreed that this was the best looking, best smelling stuff they have had in their hands in a long time, but after a taste test everyone says, "I thought this would be hittin stronger." I was very dissappointed.

What could it be? I checked the trichomes before harvest and they were very milky. I use Botanicare nutes. I flushed properly. I did bring the room temp down to about 60 degrees beginning the second week (a little early) of flowering (to be sure to bring out the purple color), but as I already said it obviously did not effect the look or smell at all.

HELP!!! Anyone have any advise as to what could be causing this problem?

Re: Great plant!! Not great smoke... Why??

Did you cure the bud at all, how long did you flush for....

try a different strain . when you know for sure it is good. after 1st grow, then try the cooler temps but it sounds like the strain because my girls never never have troubles with cool temps.

Improper flushng, drying and curing can all effect taste and potency of the final product.

Don't flush enough and excess salts will result in impurities which can directly effect taste. Dry too fast, and chlorophyll is preserved making for a harsh tasting product. Curing too early can also result in mold. :peace:

I checked the trichomes before harvest and they were very milky.
Also you must wait until the trichomes turn partially amber and no overfeeding.

Milky give you a very spacey high in the head type high that doesn't seem to "hit very hard". All amber is very hard hitting and 50/50 milky/amber is right in between. Sounds like you harvested a bit early if all were milky.

See What are Trichomes? Trichome 101

and

An elaboration on the phytochemical process that makes THC

A trichome is a fancy word for a resin gland. Here are some macro images of trichomes.

194IMG_2327cropped1.jpg

194IMG_2374cropped.jpg

194IMG_2368cropped.jpg

194IMG_2351cropped.jpg

194IMG_2350cropped.jpg

194IMG_2344cropped.jpg

194IMG_2335cropped.jpg

194IMG_2334cropped.jpg

The last time i had purple kush it wasnt a very hard hitting high. it left me energetic with a head high but still able to function. i enjoyed it and have been trying to find seeds or clones ever since

Alright ladies & gents... Here is a serious question for you all... I hope to get some opinions soon because I can't go through this again.

I have one of the best strains out there (Purple Kush). This strain has received rave reviews and acclaim from everyone... before I got hold of it. The harvest is done and everything was great. It looked great (like a centerfold in 420 mag). It has an awesome smell. Everything great right??!! Wrong... I shopped it around I have gotten not so good reviews from my samplers. Everyone agreed that this was the best looking, best smelling stuff they have had in their hands in a long time, but after a taste test everyone says, "I thought this would be hittin stronger." I was very dissappointed.

What could it be? I checked the trichomes before harvest and they were very milky. I use Botanicare nutes. I flushed properly. I did bring the room temp down to about 60 degrees beginning the second week (a little early) of flowering (to be sure to bring out the purple color), but as I already said it obviously did not effect the look or smell at all.

HELP!!! Anyone have any advise as to what could be causing this problem?

WHat a pain! I had the same problem! I grew some DJ SHORT BLUEBERRY> 1st run with these. So i did everything like you said, but the damn plants are taking 12 wks to mature should only take 8 1st of all, and the final product was lanky, stringy and taste like alfalfa. I used GH nutes , flushed accordingly, used c02, ventilated and still got mold! THey looked incredible tho, saturated with TRICHES, but after curing, damn, i was so sad, the taste and high was just not substantial enough. I am still wondering what happened.

I think it comes down to genetics. I too have grown purple kush along with Calif Orange in the same grow. So of course they had everything the same as I grow hyrdo. The Orange is superior in everyway. The purple is beautiful, amber trichomes and all, but it doesn't have the high like the CA Orange. I just ordered seeds for "420" a cross between Fucking Incredible and Burmese. I usually do clones but am looking for something different with my next grow. I just set my lights to 12/12 today, so won't be ready to start for 8-10 weeks. That will give me time for the seeds to sprout and get a few sets of leaves on them. Try some different strains and don't give up.

Back
Top Bottom