Grow Tent Outdoors?

bob19

420 Member
High All,
I'm a noob to growing and the forum. I live in Tucson. Harvesting my first grow in a week or so and I have some outdoor autos started that I hope to harvest end of November. I don't have the space to grow indoors. I would like to do start an auto grow in Oct or Nov since it will be winter here I'm thinking of setting up a grow tent in my yard which would allow me to give it optimal lighting given it will be the winter months. I don't want to use a greenhouse for security reasons. Day time temps range from 60-80 in winter, can easily go below freezing at night but not too bad being southern AZ and it's not every night. I have a 10x10 canopy I can cover the tent with to protect from rain and what little sun it will get given the location it would be. I figure I can vent the tent if it gets hot in the day and it would be easy enough to heat at night. Am I making up the doability of this idea in my head or this or Is this a totally stupid idea? Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

For security reasons?! You're concerned that people might notice that you're growing cannabis in a greenhouse - but you're pretty sure that no one would find a f*cking grow tent that's parked out in your yard even slightly suspicious?

Well, you won't have to worry about the sun causing your precious plants to overheat. After all, whoever happens by and decides to steal the thing will undoubtedly take them, too - and put everything indoors, where it belongs.

I don't really think that's the best idea I've heard in the last five minutes. And I've just been sitting here alone, mumbling incoherently to myself. For fuck's sake. . . .

I do not understand the security concerns. If you are already growing outside then why would a greenhouse cause concerns? As @TorturedSoul mentions, a grow tent in the yard is something that will create more attention than any greenhouse or growing plants. The plants can be stealth grown by putting them in the right spot. Draw attention away from that particular spot by placing colorful flowers or vegetables in a nearby area. People will tend to look towards the color and not pay attention to anything that just blends into a green background or foreground.

No matter what you place it, an outdoor grow tent and all the electrical cords going to it will attract more attention than any colorful gardening arrangement.

A couple of minutes with a search engine will bring up 100s of plans for making greenhouses of any size and shape using PVC pipe and rolls of clear or cloudy poly plastic sheeting. Hoop greenhouses or gabled roof greenhouses...the options are fantastic.

Enjoy the day.

wait you want to use indoor light in indoor tent outside? or just have tent outside

I would worry about cold in winter if 1)

if you want tent outside without light how are you going to get light?

:smokin:Put the pipe down. So many parts of your thought process really don't make sense.

If it gets hot? Lmao. You live in a desert. It's too hot almost year round. (Unless your above the valley).

There's no way a big black with colored piping tent sitting in the yard with whirly noises and shiny lights coming out of the bottom will draw less attention than a greenhouse full of green stuff. Just say it's tomatoes, or hops, or anything else.

If you have security concerns at all I wouldn't be considering growing outside, assuming your successful in making it to flower what are you going to do about the smell?

Your eliminating the benefits of growing outdoors, free lights, wind, and water. And adding all the downfalls of indoor growing, temperature control, odor control, irrigation.

A shed with double sided slatted walls, would allow airflow and minimal visibility. A corrugated plastic roof would allow plenty of the natural sunlight in. Your still gonna have to water it though. If your outside the valley you could use the roof pitch to collect what rain water you do get and divert that to an irrigation reservoir.

There are better ways to grow outside than with an indoor tent.

not sure about odor outside havent grown outside but doubt it can be smelled from more than 2m away. Maybe if wind blows it to your direction.

How high were you when you thought of this? I mean I really hope you don’t go through with this.. If you do please take pictures because you will become famous.

How high were you when you thought of this? I mean I really hope you don’t go through with this.. If you do please take pictures because you will become famous.
well I think he got this idea cuz he said he doesnt have space for indoor so he figured out this :D

Fellow Growers,
I appreciate the responses and can understand why some of you are aghast at the idea. The outdoor grow was more of a science experiment. My wife had some Pablo Escobar seeds and we decided to germinate them and see what happens. We got three females. She is more paranoid than I am so I was trying to alleviate that with the thought of the tent.

We have a completely fenced in yard but someone could check it out if they were nosey enough to walk up the embankment from the garbage alley behind the house. We also have dogs that will bark at most anything. That said my thinking was this... Average high temps in Dec, Jan, and Feb are in the 60's to low 70's. Average daylight from sunrise to sunset is between 10 and 11 hours. Direct sun is even less as you all know. I thought of the greenhouse option but I feel an auto grow wouldn't do well in the winter months given the amount of light available. If I am wrong about this please let me know. I thought about supplementing with lights in the greenhouse but the area in the yard where the greenhouse would be could draw attention.

I thought of the grow tent because the location would be in a spot where there is no foot traffic about 10 feet away from our back patio where we spend a lot of our time, so I'm not worried about wires and fan noises. It's the most private part of our property. This would be for a winter grow only and this way I could give them 18 hours of light per day. Controlling the temp in the tent should be easy enough.

I attached a couple of pics of our 'science experiment'. We started late, gave some nutes here and there. They were sprouted outdoors and spent many days in 100 plus degrees in full sun. We didn't take it too seriously. I'm getting more serious about obtaining knowledge to grow better and get better yields. Again, I appreciate the responses. I really would like to do an auto grow this winter. If you're still aghast, that's fine...just please be nice about it. You are also welcome to PM me.

Peace

Attachments

• Pablo 1.jpg
    Pablo 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Pablo 2.jpg
    Pablo 2.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 43
Definitely happy and healthy but I would not put a tent outside. It’s a bad idea just go get a patio greenhouse they are cheaper than a tent.

If I did go the greenhouse route without supplemental lighting would my autos grow well enough given the decreased light in the winter months? This is the one I was thinking of going with. 15long x7wide x7high

Attachments

• greenhouse.jpeg
    greenhouse.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 31
Sunlight>artificial light.

They will certainly grow outside in the winter. According to this you'll have more sunlight than most.

At the end of the day it's your grow, no one can say for certain what will work best for you.

Attachments

• Map3.gif
    Map3.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 33
Autos don't need lots of light, why they can be a good option

Problem is, AZ does get below freezing, and in the low 40s to upper 30s a lot

Either way you will need to keep it warm

Keeping it warm shouldn't be difficult. I could run a line to the greenhouse and use heaters. Thought about running supplemental lighting from like 3am till after sunrise, but that could draw attention. If I were to try supplemental lighting, I'm open to suggestions.

Sunlight>artificial light.

They will certainly grow outside in the winter. According to this you'll have more sunlight than most.

At the end of the day it's your grow, no one can say for certain what will work best for you.
is it? sunlight being better then artificial light? I mean yes its free and few other advantages. In terms of final product and yield is it better? Not sure.. tell me

Keeping it warm shouldn't be difficult. I could run a line to the greenhouse and use heaters. Thought about running supplemental lighting from like 3am till after sunrise, but that could draw attention. If I were to try supplemental lighting, I'm open to suggestions.
well if you pick for example quantum boards or other lights that dont have blue/purple light it wont get as much attention.

High All,
I'm a noob to growing and the forum. I live in Tucson. Harvesting my first grow in a week or so and I have some outdoor autos started that I hope to harvest end of November. I don't have the space to grow indoors. I would like to do start an auto grow in Oct or Nov since it will be winter here I'm thinking of setting up a grow tent in my yard which would allow me to give it optimal lighting given it will be the winter months. I don't want to use a greenhouse for security reasons. Day time temps range from 60-80 in winter, can easily go below freezing at night but not too bad being southern AZ and it's not every night. I have a 10x10 canopy I can cover the tent with to protect from rain and what little sun it will get given the location it would be. I figure I can vent the tent if it gets hot in the day and it would be easy enough to heat at night. Am I making up the doability of this idea in my head or this or Is this a totally stupid idea? Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I used to live in Tucson. I put a bag seed in my dads backyard near a drip sprinkler. And then three months later my dad was like” are you growing pot in my yard?” To which I said” did some grow?” Hell yeah it did, almost 7 feet. I think someone will mess with your tent outside. Kids will take your shit so fast if it will get em high.

I've seen supplemental lighting in NON-cannabis greenhouses before. Before "the craze," that's probably where Gavita Horticultural Lighting's main money came from (I'm guessing, here).

I suppose "attention" depends on circumstances. Greenhouse full of cannabis plants... Yeah, most likely. Greenhouse full of plants, some few of which happen to be cannabis (and which probably aren't placed right up against the see-through walls, lol)... not so much. Well, okay, maybe a little bit. You know your environment and (presumably) the sort of people who live in it. Back in the day (late '80s or early '90s) the LEO near where I lived at the time caught three or four teenagers damaging some farm plots late at night. When asked why they were wandering all through them, the response was that they figured there was "pot" there hidden among the tall plants :rolleyes: .

is it? sunlight being better then artificial light? I mean yes its free and few other advantages. In terms of final product and yield is it better? Not sure.. tell me

<SHRUGS> Assuming the artificial light source has a decent spectrum... A photon is a photon, lol. It's fully possible to "max out" the amount of light-energy that a plant can use in a day via artificial light. Depending on things like one's location, the time of year, and local weather conditions, that amount might be more than is reaching the ground outdoors. Or not.

Back
Top Bottom