Growing pains

Is that foil? If it is, it will reflect heat & could damage your plant more than help, as I understand. Please know I'm on my first grow & this is just information I have picked up from reading, reading, reading!

So what temperature do you have the fish's water/root zone at... and what PH?? Just out of curiosity. I would think fish need a different ph than plants... no?? Just curious... it seems like it will be a balance to keep the fish AND the plant happy.... can you use organic nutrients like molasses without harming the fishies?

So what temperature do you have the fish's water/root zone at... and what PH?? Just out of curiosity. I would think fish need a different ph than plants... no?? Just curious... it seems like it will be a balance to keep the fish AND the plant happy.... can you use organic nutrients like molasses without harming the fishies?
I'm new lol I'm going to a hydro shop today, I didn't really understand PH at first, I was told about it and heard people talk about it but I was just like "F*** it!" and now my plant is losing its color, I started two plants from seeds and transplanted one to a hydro setup at like 3 or 4 weeks, now the one outside in soil is growing a beautiful solid light green color, but the one in the hydro set up is starting to yellow in little spots and I see little white spots which I assume is WPM. I'm lacking something and I think it may be the PH balance, I know its supposed to be 6.7 or something like that. Please help! Constructive criticism is welcome.

Also I just recently made a NPK water solution with baking soda for the WPM (white powdery mildew) egg shells for calcium, cut up banana peels for phosphorus & potassium, and coffee grounds for nitrogen.
91b7507b29402483c79c61e16768a7f8.jpg
11aa17fe60ee62ba0cb1f606864a66d0.jpg
9add0797d3bfb1ab510fb00ece648924.jpg
e2d0330f02311b57e8f44a0e9df9a0a4.jpg
07b96d538ace0339fee5e04bd125071c.jpg
2b20444afb6fdd708912ae905664924a.jpg
92d05717a2cab5590250b0ed6cff982a.jpg
960ba579e94da30a0ee5b1afba804c53.jpg
bdc1a141e7b06066c716299e1c4f89f1.jpg

Wow bud... jumping into aquaponics without a firm understanding of the chemistry of water is.... pretty scary. I am in organic soil and I am still measuring my ph and ppms... if not for the plants... the fish need it!

Fish, if I remember my basic aquarium knowledge from childhood need a ph of around 7.0 and cannabis... in hydro... needs it 6.0 but usually even a bit lower. That's why I was asking about how you plan to marry the two ecosystems. I linked a pretty in depth article earlier in your thread.
Later down the line the plants will reach a point where they need a much higher EC count than the fish will be comfortable living in... either way... you will have to spend some time researching because I see it is POSSIBLE to do but I also see a lot of people making sacrifices that either are not good for the fish or not good for the plant.
To grow good cannabis in the simplest medium is complicated... and I would go so far to say that aquaponics along with aeroponics are the two most difficult growing styles.
I wish you, your fish, and your plants the best of luck. Start hitting the books now and you might be able to catch up and save her :)

Yeah, as you can see Shirley is doing pretty good actually so I must be doing something right. My luck, I tested the PH and it is 7.0 and goldfish thrive at 7.2 & 7.6, marijuana thrives at a more acidic level between 6.0 and 7.0, I am good so far and my problem is the lights were bleaching her along with some WPM but I used a baking soda solution to clean it. Its actually a lot easier than you'd think if you are a patient person that likes to learn. Sometimes you have to fail before you succeed haha. But I will keep you posted.

Ehhh... I get too attached to animals... I'm vegan. I would definitely screw up by solely maintaining the conditions for my fish... but I would like a fish tank! I would want a pretty salt water one and I know they are expensive to maintain. Some day...

Aquaponics and hydroponics are no doubt very interesting... it's simply that my current living situation... soil makes more sense. But even farmers here have gone hydroponic. Unfortunately we are having a frigid spring here in Italy. Tons of vineyards have lost their vines... and grapes aren't annuals so they can't just be replaced. Vineyards cultivate their vines for years and years... all that lost... it's pretty bad. There will be very little 2017 stock of Italian wines.

In the south of Spain which used to be fields and fields of crops has turned to rows upon rows of hydroponic greenhouses. The speed of hydroponic growing is simply unmatched.

For now, organic soil is my medium. I am learning patience through growing... I have gone perpetual now so I have a lot of plants doing a lot of different things and that keeps it interesting. I have a separate veg cabinet and flowering tent.

I am in my 3rd week of flower with my eldest batch plants now....

420-magazine-mobile1011792027.jpg

You should start a journal! Or let this be the start of your journal and ask a mod to move it. You will make friends here and get help pretty much whenever you need it. Plus... it's great to look back on and if you keep it up you can use it as a reference to see what worked, what didn't, what day you changed this or that. It's totally helped someone like me who tends to trust my memory more than I should.

Good luck! I would really like to see how this grow goes... so if you don't make a journal, definitely keep this thread updated... pretty please!

XxKitty

Ehhh... I get too attached to animals... I'm vegan. I would definitely screw up by solely maintaining the conditions for my fish... but I would like a fish tank! I would want a pretty salt water one and I know they are expensive to maintain. Some day...

Aquaponics and hydroponics are no doubt very interesting... it's simply that my current living situation... soil makes more sense. But even farmers here have gone hydroponic. Unfortunately we are having a frigid spring here in Italy. Tons of vineyards have lost their vines... and grapes aren't annuals so they can't just be replaced. Vineyards cultivate their vines for years and years... all that lost... it's pretty bad. There will be very little 2017 stock of Italian wines.

In the south of Spain which used to be fields and fields of crops has turned to rows upon rows of hydroponic greenhouses. The speed of hydroponic growing is simply unmatched.

For now, organic soil is my medium. I am learning patience through growing... I have gone perpetual now so I have a lot of plants doing a lot of different things and that keeps it interesting. I have a separate veg cabinet and flowering tent.

I am in my 3rd week of flower with my eldest batch plants now....

420-magazine-mobile1011792027.jpg

You should start a journal! Or let this be the start of your journal and ask a mod to move it. You will make friends here and get help pretty much whenever you need it. Plus... it's great to look back on and if you keep it up you can use it as a reference to see what worked, what didn't, what day you changed this or that. It's totally helped someone like me who tends to trust my memory more than I should.

Good luck! I would really like to see how this grow goes... so if you don't make a journal, definitely keep this thread updated... pretty please!

XxKitty
Yes, I added you on here. You are very knowledgeable and if its okay with you I'd like to be able to ask you for tips on some things if needed.

That's insane about the vineyards, I think hydroponics will soon be the most reliable source of growing anything because of global warming, I used to be oblivious to it but when its late spring and well, it gets to 40°F in Texas, there's something wrong haha. But really, the plants that are not auto flowering species will be so confused Colorado had baddd acid rain when I went out there in 2015 and half of the mountains were dead. I thought of the fish as just goldfish but now I'm attached and have named a few, also have ghost shrimp which are realllllly interesting along with a sucker fish. I'm only 21 and I have not had any college experience unfortunately so excess my lack of information.

Yes, I added you on here. You are very knowledgeable and if its okay with you I'd like to be able to ask you for tips on some things if needed.

That's insane about the vineyards, I think hydroponics will soon be the most reliable source of growing anything because of global warming, I used to be oblivious to it but when its late spring and well, it gets to 40°F in Texas, there's something wrong haha. But really, the plants that are not auto flowering species will be so confused . Colorado had baddd acid rain when I went out there in 2015 and half of the mountains were dead. I thought of the fish as just goldfish but now I'm attached and have named a few, also have ghost shrimp which are realllllly interesting along with a sucker fish. I'm only 21 and I have not had any college experience unfortunately so excess my lack of information.

Agh! Young buck! I'm closer to 30 than 20... but a gal never reveals her age ;) College doesn't mean fuck all in today's digital age. You can learn anything you want with a wifi connection. I have a BFA in music... so I lack a lot of information too. . I would of never graduated if I didn't go to art school.

Once you hit 50 posts you can use the PM feature. But I have the 420 app on my phone so I'm always flipping through... I'll notice if you update this thread as I am subbed.

Hit me up with questions any time! I just started my second Grow journal... and my first one is still in progress if you want to read about my trials and tribulations!

XxKitty

Agh! Young buck! I'm closer to 30 than 20... but a gal never reveals her age ;) College doesn't mean fuck all in today's digital age. You can learn anything you want with a wifi connection. I have a BFA in music... so I lack a lot of information too. . I would of never graduated if I didn't go to art school.

Once you hit 50 posts you can use the PM feature. But I have the 420 app on my phone so I'm always flipping through... I'll notice if you update this thread as I am subbed.

Hit me up with questions any time! I just started my second Grow journal... and my first one is still in progress if you want to read about my trials and tribulations!

XxKitty
Help! This happened within hours... Those are egg shells for calcium.
8ead2e922f8def279af640bbd527d69f.jpg

Help! This happened within hours... Those are egg shells for calcium.
8ead2e922f8def279af640bbd527d69f.jpg

Ehhh... it looks like how ph problems usually first present. See... although cannabis in soil like it between 6.0 and 6.5... cannabis in hydro needs it below 6.0... I think most hydro growers keep it around 5.7... I don't know how much more you can ph down the tank without hurting the fish but I would try to slowly lower it... Do you have a ph down product??

Ehhh... it looks like how ph problems usually first present. See... although cannabis in soil like it between 6.0 and 6.5... cannabis in hydro needs it below 6.0... I think most hydro growers keep it around 5.7... I don't know how much more you can ph down the tank without hurting the fish but I would try to slowly lower it... Do you have a ph down product??
I'm going to get one now, should it be a certain kind? Or is that an aquaponics question? One of the leaves has a brown spot and I feel that could be a calcium deficiency and the whole plant is looking yellow. I noticed these issues didn't occur till I made the foil tent and put the lights really close. I took off the POS tent and raised the lights, I have a blue and a red, should I cut that leaf on the bottom that you see in the pic on my thumb? That's the one with a brown spot.
875b626feb7eb1ecbea2f76a509d3600.jpg
7a2e68fd7c2627dc4f9ea93ce2ade57c.jpg

Well... there are organic products that will bring your ph down but I don't know how safe they are for the fish...lime lemon and vinegar all bring your ph down... baking soda brings it up... you can go ahead and cut just the damaged parts of the leaf off. If it got too hot that would explain the wilty kinda look to the leaf...

It would be early for cal deficiency to present... I would get your ph regulated and see if that helps. I know those reptile bulbs put off a bit of heat... they are supposed to...

So... try to get your ph balanced and if you can get a little thermometer to put next to your plant... some of them.. even cheap ones will give you your daily high and low so you can tell what's gone on while you have been away.

Hope that helps a little!

XxKitty

Well... there are organic products that will bring your ph down but I don't know how safe they are for the fish...lime lemon and vinegar all bring your ph down... baking soda brings it up... you can go ahead and cut just the damaged parts of the leaf off. If it got too hot that would explain the wilty kinda look to the leaf...

It would be early for cal deficiency to present... I would get your ph regulated and see if that helps. I know those reptile bulbs put off a bit of heat... they are supposed to...

So... try to get your ph balanced and if you can get a little thermometer to put next to your plant... some of them.. even cheap ones will give you your daily high and low so you can tell what's gone on while you have been away.

Hope that helps a little!

XxKitty
Damn, I will research that organic way. I did use a spray with baking soda, I did it to kill the WPM but I must have over corrected.

Okay and thank you so much! Its trial and error till I get it right haha. But on the other hand look at her sister I have in soil outside! outside, sprouted and grown at the same time.
75a4df0f7b1c648ecdc193ace4baba78.jpg
3071f143e23e3b4c0798925dc896eeeb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom