Growing Wonder Woman (too much light?)

sully508

i started growing 2 plants. wonder woman from nirvana fem. seeds.
i got each one under a 400w hps and fluoros. 2 plants 900w's ok?
im trying to keep the grow room warm. thermostat reads 79f.
with the lights out it goes down to 60f.
so i put it on a 20/4 instead of 18/6. the intake air is 22f.
so i cool the area very fast. heating with propane also.
any ideas on how to keep the area warmer in the dead of winter?
:tokin:

Space heater?

60 isn't bad, 65 is better. 20/4 is supposed to promote root development from what I have read as well and is the same light schedule I keep in my own veg room. The more light the better I always say, unless you are bleaching out your plants you don't have too much light. Keep up the good work.

Soil or Hydro? How old are the plants?

good point, bleaching out plants isn't too much light but only too close!

:thanks:thanks guys. i didnt think i could use too much light.
but considering the ambient temp that makes sense. i usually keep them 28 inches from the HID's and the fluorescents are on reflective clamps. my fans are on a timer. i will adjust the time if it gets to cold. today it's 50f out. very warm. so ill run them more today to keep the area cool. thanks wingman and brett. take care

50 degrees here in RI also sully508, I grow in the same area and worked in Worcester. Try to remeber this tho, a 1000wt light must be at minimum 16" from plants or support beams so try to close the gap on the 24" of space between the plants and light but do so slowly like 2-3 inches at a time making sure to use your hand to test comfort zone. If your hand is on the plants top and is getting hot, the light is too close, or use fans to move the hot air away.

ok ill bring them in closer to 18". have a 12" fan blowing on the lights and a 6"
oscilating fan. got the temp/humidity meter. 82f/ 55% right now.
yeah this is good weather. but the cold will be here tomorrow.
go pats.:cheer:

im using a blue flame propane heater. i just hooked it up. it uses a reg. propane tank and is made by mr. heater 10,000btu's and it puts out co2 uses no electricty good for 600sq.' it wasnt cheap but i felt like should do something. using an electric heater trips my breaker, because a dehumidifier is also in use. got a co detector too. to be safe. 14 bucks for a tank of propane. got a 8 foot propane hose. il be heating outside the grow room.
last winter my plants really struggled. purple leaves. very slow growth due to temps. im not f'n around this year.
i grew 3 wonder woman plants this past season and got a little over 8 oz. very skunky and very stinky. i also grew PPP and ak 48. good but not as much yeild as wonder woman. my favorite.
2 fem seeds/plants expecting 5z's.
:tokin:

You can keep a 400w closer then 18 if you want, I kept my 400w about 8-10" away during flower. Want to keep it a bit further in veg sine the plant still grows and you don't want them to grow into the light. If you want to invest 10 bucks in a Bake-a-round its an easy easy DIY cooltube and you will NEVER have to worry about your light being too close with a 400w and a cooltube.

i will. but they are only 2 weeks from seed, so i was afraid id dry them out.
low humidity. but all is good brett. they look healthy.
using FF big grow, tiger bloom, big bloom, and GO floralicious plus, pirahna/ tarantula, and floranectar 0-0-1 GOcal/mg cant wait to use them.the mix is w/ hydraded lime, spagnumpeat moss, alot of perlite, vermeculite, and liquid kelp from bonide, until about 3 weeks. then small amouts of nutes.:hookah:

i have them closer today because of the cold. like 15 inches w/ the fan is 78f and 22%H its 13f out now. no incoming air tonight.

Sounds like you have a great mix going on there sully. 2 weeks is when I generally introduce my young plants to a 400w light and they explode in growth. I've heard you don't want to mix hydrated lime in to your soil you should use dolomite lime, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I think Hydrated lime is ok if you use a very little bit, how much do you use in your mix? Do you know much about it?

i mix in approx. 4 cups in a whole larger bag of spagnum peat moss which is very acidic. i test the ph in the bag of peat moss then after. it raises the ph to around 6.8. it depends on how acidic the peat moss is. sometimes i use more. somtimes less.
i basically want the right ph before i plant seeds.

What do you use to text soil ph? I need to pick something up but haven't started looking around. I've been to worried trying to get an electrician to upgrade the breaker box here.

i have a digital meter that tests ppm's ec tds and ph made by blue lab. comes w/ 2 probes. it cost like 240 bucks. but since ive used it ive never had a problem w/ growing. because your at optimal conditions. and that is all we can do, as growers, to get the best weed the best yield.:hookah:
im running off a 20 amp breaker now. plus a 15 amp. to be safe all cords have gfci's attached. then attached to power strips.
ph= potential of hydrogen
ec= electical conductivity
tds= total disolved solids
ppm's part per million
gfci= ground fault circut interrupter
hope this helps.

just ordered 2 led bulbs
1 all blue 420nm. for veg or clones.
and 1 red and blue. par 38 bulbs the can attach to any light socket.
they use 10 wats each, and can get really close to the plants w/ out burning.
i may use these instead of cfls or both. does anyone have these bulbs?

Back
Top Bottom