Too much light?

thulgrum

420 Member
Hi All
Bit of a newbie grower here

I recently bought 2 x 1600w Mars 2 Hydro LED lights

Each on is covering a 4 foot square area with 2 plants in each area (8 gallon buckets)

They seem to love the light but i need to have them approx 3-4 foot above the plants otherwise they start to "claw" and show signs of nutrient toxicity

Im using Hy-Gen nutrients but only about 500-600PPM at approx 5.5ph

For a first grow with some random seeds and advice from you tube i think im doing pretty good but im just wondering what i could achieve if i had the lights closer

15035.jpg
22000.jpg
31739.jpg
41343.jpg

Pics are back of the room, back of the room with height of light, front of the room and front of the room with height of light

reduce the space between the plants and bulbs to about 5" to start. Then place your hand at the level of the tallest branch, then adjust your lights until you feel a comfortable warmth. Anything closer will burn the plants. The idea here is that all bulbs have a sphere of intensity, outside which the lumens fall off dramatically. You want plants as close to the bulbs as possible without scorching them. Your hand is just as good as any fancy thermometer to determine this height.

reduce the space between the plants and bulbs to about 5" to start. Then place your hand at the level of the tallest branch, then adjust your lights until you feel a comfortable warmth. Anything closer will burn the plants. The idea here is that all bulbs have a sphere of intensity, outside which the lumens fall off dramatically. You want plants as close to the bulbs as possible without scorching them. Your hand is just as good as any fancy thermometer to determine this height.

This would be true, if he wasn't using LEDs...

With LEDs, it's probably best to start with the manufacturer's recommendations I've found. They look healthy to me, and I don't believe bringing the lights closer would cause a nutrient issue. Your pH is low though, which could be causing issues. It should be in the 5.6-6.2 range, with most people having the best results from 5.8-6.0.

This would be true, if he wasn't using LEDs...

With LEDs, it's probably best to start with the manufacturer's recommendations I've found. They look healthy to me, and I don't believe bringing the lights closer would cause a nutrient issue. Your pH is low though, which could be causing issues. It should be in the 5.6-6.2 range, with most people having the best results from 5.8-6.0.

Ah! I missed the LED part. I grow under cfl's to keep the heat down and the cost. What jojo677 said.... ;-)

OP I have a 900w Mars II that I've def learned to keep at least 20" from tops. Their website now has recommended distances for seedling/veg /flower

Back
Top Bottom