Hard times and plant abuse

Pastorman

Hi There! I would like to share my current grow for some feed back. This is my second time growing, first time indoor. I have abused these plants.

I sprouted my seeds, Royal Queen Blue Mystique, in January. Indoor with a 18w CFL. I made a little propagator out of a 15 litre clear plastic storage tub purchased at the Army surplus store. three out of the five fem seeds sprouted. I ran the light on a 24 hour cycle and watered faithfully. They grew. Money suddenly became too tight to mention, so I just kept the plants watered and warm. I got a few bob together and purchased a grow tent 120x120x180cm in February. I placed the plants-3 inches tall-in the grow tent with the 18w cfl and propagator at 24 hour cycle. I would ignore them. The propagator I placed on its side with the plants in it and close to the bulb for extra heat. by the first of april they had been in there 6 weeks with some growth.

By the last week of April, I managed to get enough money together for a bulb-CFL 200 6500k. It took me another 4 days to come up with enough for an E40 socket and some wire. Once wired, I suspend the light over the plants. I did repot the plants into 2litre fabric grow pots with ordinary compost soil that came from a half used bag that had been thrown aside in my garden, over grown with grass (I tripped over it). I'd say the compost was about 2 years old.

The grow tent came with an extra reflective fabric-not sure what or how it is to be use-so I made a reflector out of it for the bulb. Now, I went to a 18/6 cycle because I found a digital timer that I purchased in Lidl 4 years ago-it works well.

On the 15 May, my 8 litre fabric grow pots arrived! so I went to the polytunnel with my plants and repotted them with compost that came from a pile of unwanted potted plants that are sold at farmers markets in the spring. So, the compost is full of slow release nutes, perlite. I took all this compost and mixed it with pure compost in my polytunnel's raised bed. My point i am trying to get at is that the repotted soil does contains some slow release nutes and some perlite.

I am pro Stinging Nettle! I make a beautiful fertilizer with them. My garden is full of nettles and every thing that I stick in the ground grows like mad. So, I took a little nettle and planted one in each pot.

I have been having leaf problems-I suspect I have too much Nitrogen going on. The ph of the soil is around 6.6-6.7. I water daily. Spritz the leaves with water for humidity. There is plenty of fresh air and the temp is steady at about 70 F. Oh, I changed the light to 14/10. because when i checked the plants on the 17 hour the leaves are drooping. so i figured they were tired, tired of the abuse.

ALso, I do have a regular incandesant bulb-75 watt in there for heat.

I do plan on SCROG.

is the soil to rich?
Thank you for your feedback! :allgood::hmmmm:

Depends on how old that compost is with slow release nutrients ?

More likely gone past its best by the looks of things...

Also remove the nettle from the pot as it is only going to compete with nutrients, water etc

I would more likely get a bottle of nutrients/solution asap & feed em at around half rate of suggested application at first to pick up health of the plants.

In the long run of brewing ya own fertilizer teas best get on it & do some research as to what adds NPK :thumb:

Eire, i'm pretty sure that word descended from an old Irish word Eiru... kind of gives some stuff away :green_heart:

If ya going on the home brew ferts in the long run...

Yes nettles works, comfrey, banana skins & i suggest sea weeds if ya near the coast but all this takes a little time to brew up...

Well rotted animal manures is another one.

I'm sure i can think of others, but if ya up for a banter i'll see if i can find some forum links to help out :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback Fuzzy Duck. I have a few drops of Tomato feed at hand...what do you think?:thanks:

Ye sounds like a plan if every else checked out ok.

Looks a like minor touch of p-phosphorus def in last pic also.

Brewing your own benny tea

My plants are now in flower. On 3 July 2015 I switched to 12/12 after deciding that the plants had been in veg long enough. I did see pistils so, I switched the light. The plants are under - 1)250w 2700k, 2)46w 2700k, 2)23w 2700k and 1) 20w 6400k. I trimmed and trained too aggressively (I think) because for the past 10days growth has been slow. I stopped with the trim and train about one week ago. That said, today the flowers were showing more trichome with little growth of the flower. The plants look healthy. My nutrient is a Bio Bloom plant feed for flowering.

Do I have sufficient lighting? I will keep an eye on the trichomes but wish the buds could be bigger. Dont know if its clear in the images. Would welcome any positive feed back. :popcorn:
IMG_185019.jpg
IMG_184919.jpg
IMG_184818.jpg
IMG_184718.jpg

They look pretty good to me, for being 3 weeks into flower. I'd probably train some of those taller branches down lower, or more even with the other branches. You probably want to move your bulbs closer to the tops of the plants, maybe 1-2" for some of the smaller bulbs and a bit further the the large bulbs. You'll get much better results the closer you are. Just make sure you don't burn them, but it's hard to do with CFLs.

As for the amount of light, how big is your SCROG, or the dimensions of your tent? You probably want 40-60 W per square foot.

Mmm looking alright been a while since ya last posted :thumb:

Ye 2nd 'n' 3rd pic seems to show a nutrient def ? might be lighting issue tho when ya took the pic's ?

But on some chance it is ? need a better pic to take a gander at...

Hi I have screen that is about 2'sq. and the tent is about 3'sq. so wattage is total of 338watts. Today i noticed a bit of cloudy-ness in some of the trichomes and a few leaves have gone soft and yellow-like in Autumn. SO, maybe they have had enough? Given their beginnings I am impressed by their flower. 23 days in flower. Should I aim for 30 days?

Today i also moved the lights closer to the buds. will post two mediocre iphone photos!
:thanks:

I have some yellow leaves. A friend of mine took a look at my plants and said that they looked really healthy but, this is indoor and I am not a pro at this-yet! there is some healthy green leaves that droop, and I dont know if it is the light issue...but everything else seems to be checking ok.

The taller stems I cant train down due to the nature of the grow. I have tried to be a little forceful with the really tall one but, I think she'll snap. so i just let it be.

I do add the nutrient as recommended on the bottle and by the plant guy who sold me the Bio Bloom.

:thanks:

As Richard said, you have a ways to go for flowering. Most strains flower for 8-12 weeks, so you're looking at a minimum of 55ish days.

On the one cola being taller, if you so desire, you can train it by pulling to down slowly, a little more each day. Eventually you can get it where you want it.

As for the lighting, if you covering a 2' x 2' area with 338W, that would be plenty. What you need to find out is if that is your REAL power draw. There is a 'real power' and a 'equivalent power' with these bulbs.

Ye well some times the lighting from the bulbs effects pic quality that is all but at a glance some thing seemed odd & i'm pleased to hear that it was just a light effect in the pic's provided.

How ever it is not that uncommon for leafs to start yellowing in early to mid flowering & may progress through to harvest time, some defs may show during this period with the most common being p - phosphorus / k - potassium as an example.

The seed breeder suggests the strain you have is aprox 7 to 9 weeks of flowering time so you have awhile to go yet ! they will get fatter & much bigger :thumb:

Trichome development & the point of harvest is vastly a personal choice or taste, opinions are varius on this matter...

In my own experience i prefer around 90% plus milky cloudy tric's & more or less thought as optimal THC content for said strain, this is most of the time being with in seed breeders guides lines of total flowering period & more likely in the last couple of weeks of suggested flowering period.

Environmental conditions may alter this tho !

Some people prefer X % of amber tric's and may flower longer than normal to induce desired ratio, but that is another story i don't totally agree with ?

Tric's do ripen up during the slow air dry & curing process also...

Thanks guys for all the input! Greatly appreciated. I will begin with the lighting and slowly work on some of the taller colas. The best news in these replies is that the buds WILL get bigger and fuller. I CAN'T WAIT! its so exciting because the smell of these plants is amazing... I know it is early yet and there are a few hurdles in front of me!

I guess i was concerned about the trichome because of the start these plants had thus thinking they will be on a different schedule.

:thanks: :yummy:

I have begun the 7th week of flower. Wondering if you guys could offer some feedback, again!
I added more light as Richard recommended and I moved the lights closer to the plants. I was able to tie down/train the tall stems down.

the leaves are beginning to turn red, the smaller buds are much more red, the aroma is not strong but i think I have become immune to it. The buds are tacky to the touch and smell fantastic when disturbed.

Have I pruned the leaves too much?

am contemplating harvesting at the end of the 7th week.

:thanks::bong:
D8E2896.jpg
D8E2892.jpg
D8E2884.jpg
D8E2882.jpg
D8E2880.jpg
D8E2879.jpg
D8E2854.jpg

Personally I wouldn't have defoliated so many leaves, but she'll be fine! I would definitely recommend going at least 8 weeks flowering, but make your decision based on the color of the trichomes. You've probably heard about this. They will keep growing/swelling over at least the next 2 weeks. Make sure you factor/time a flush too, as you'll want to do it 7-14 days before harvest.

As for the red and yellow colors, they are just low on nutrients. They are pulling the nutrients from the leaves to help build up the buds. They do look quite yellow though, but I can't tell if that's because of the lighting or not.

yes, i think i was a bit aggressive with my pruning and too soon. I have been keeping an eye on the trichomes and they are still clear. I switched my nutrients to something with more potassium, phosphorus. and i added more humidity.

my pictures are not the best with the colour. i was trying to get them as close as possible to what i see. i still have quite a few buds that are all green and no reddening of leaves. and i have some smaller buds that are deep red purple.

I have instant improvement/growth with the nutes-the next day really.

thanks for the input. I enjoy your SCROG Bucket journal and will look to it more closely with my next SCROG grow.got my seedlings germinating now...:green_heart:

:thanks::nomo:

Back
Top Bottom