Harvest Time For Marijuana Growers

420AM&PM

Farmers aren't the only ones working hard to get their crops out of the fields this season.

This is the time of year when marijuana growers have what's known as their golden harvest.

Pike County, Illinois Sheriff Paul Petty and his officers are keeping their eyes on area corn fields through surveillance video.

But the farmers growing the corn crops aren't the ones under investigation.

Officers are looking for a different type of grower.

"They'll section out a portion of the corn about four rows inside the field," Deputy Sheriff Matt Frazier said. "That way it will help the cannabis grow and stay hidden. This time of year they try to get the plants our before hunters hit the areas well as harvest time for the corn to risk their plants being lost."

Officers look for sections that are greener than the rest of the field, because corn turns yellow long before the marijuana leaves.

But they aren't the only ones who can stop it.

Farmers and hunters in rural areas can help by keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity.

"Look for people carrying buckets in and out of wood line areas or corn fields typically near ponds or creeks to use as a water source," Frazier said.

If you see anything strange, you're asked to contact your local law enforcement.

Overall, marijuana use and production is up in Pike County as compared to other drugs.

Officers make almost 30 marijuana-related arrests each month thanks to tips from the public.

When you think of a marijuana grower, you may get a certain picture in your mind.

But that image could be wrong.

We spoke with Adams County State's Attorney Jon Barnard.

He says he sees several people come through the courthouse on marijuana related cases who come from all walks of life.

"It's got a certain cultural acceptance because of how long it's been around and how easy it is to produce," Barnard said. "The second factor is a mistaken perception of that it is relatively harmless."

Barnard says even though this is a small area, cannabis cases are a constant in Adams county.

Marijuana is known as a gateway drug.

The West Central Illinois Task Force investigates several drug manufacturing operations, and a member says they almost always find marijuana at those sites.

Task force officers often pretend to be customers to better investigate drug makers and dealers.

Sergeant Mike Pigg says those arrested often admit their marijuana use started as young as eight years old.

"Don't take it lightly," Sergeant Pigg said. "Cannabis does a lot more harm than people think. It's a drug that leads to other drug use."

Newshawk: 420AM&PM - 420 Magazine
Source: WHQA Online (IL)
Pubdate: October 11, 2006
Author: Lisa Sparrow

Sargent Pigg .....How appropriate ! Gateway drug my ass !

Another cop spreading lies to help ensure his job continues to be funded. If you think about it, busting pot growers has to be the easiest part of the job. Get to spend some time out in the country, the "criminals" are non-violent, and if you time it right and bust them while harvesting, then you get some free product to take home with you.

I am 33 and I don't do drugs. I do smoke ganga. Maybe its coffee or alcohol that is the gateway drug. Could be cigars too. Don't forget about sugar. People eating candy might become drug addicts.

The only reason marijuana is a "gateway drug" is because it's illegal.
People who want to smoke pot and don't/can't get their own must buy it on the black market, where other drugs are often available.

Fucking ignorant ass holes... I, like most everyone here... get sooooo pissed off over so much of this shit that law enforcement has their own idea how things should be done... WE as the people of the State Of California PASSED PROP 215, WE made it right by changing the law to make medical marijuana LEGAL.... However, the Federal Gov't wants to keep it illegal anyway's... so why is that? $$$ MONEY $$$, the seized assets from us is for their gain, it would take those in jail or prison and let them out.... IF marijuana was legal on a federal level then the DEA would have over 1/2 their funding cut... IF A STATE MAKES THE LAW THAT GOES AGAINST THE FEDERAL GOV'T... WHY DO WE VOTE??? WHY??? Because WE WANT THE CHANGE!!!, We can petition for a measure like Prop 215 so that we can feel better about ourselves not worrying about going to jail for taking a prescribed medicine from our doctors, but when it comes to a pharmaceutical company pushing their DRUGS... it's OK I have smoked marijuana for almost 35 years, I have smoked it doing MANY different things including... yes... driving... those who compare being high as being in the same category as being buzzed by alcohol are in need of a serious wake up call.... MARIJUANA is the safest of ALL drugs on the market, OTC or prescribed, BAR NONE!!!!!

In 1987 drug arrests were 7.4% of the total of all arrests reported to the FBI; by 2005, drug arrests had risen to 13.1% of all arrests.

In 1987 the DEA had 5710 employees and an annual budget of $773 million.

In 2006 the DEA had 10,891 employees and an annual budget of $2.4 billion.

Hmmm.. quite the bloated bureaucracy!

If pot was not illegal there would be a bunch of people unemployed.

Pot growers keep our Federal Agents employed!

(Footnote: The Feds always have local agencies involved. Voting can change the power structure of local agencies. Vote cannabis-friendly/fed-non-friendly.)

Pinch, sometimes you are too right. I notice that about two years ago and its always in the back of my mind. After all, they do have their quotas to fill so the budget gets increased for next year.

My friend wrote this and its appropriate for this topic...

Pot Leads to

a variety of other drugs and of course Global Warming
But do you know?
-Your Children sharing their toys may lead to their growing up to become Communist
-Saying God bless you all the time to your child with allergies may lead them to becoming an atheist
-Changing yo babies diapers may lead to stripping, so don't be changing yo girls diaper in front of people
-Drinking kool-aid may lead to your kid thinking he's an vampire
-Your child drinking water may lead to them getting eaten by a shark
-Believing in santa can lead to your child seeing an UFO
-Love to play the popular family game monopoly well not anymore letting kids handle dice at a young age can lead to a gambling addiction
-Getting your kid a pet could lead to slavery
-Tying sneakers could lead to s&m play so tie yo kids sneakers until there 25
-But buying em sneakers could lead to em running away from home so really better off they go thru their childhood shoeless
-Making your kids brush their teeth everyday may lead to OCD
-Eating at red lobster can give your daughter crabs
-And eating hotdogs could make yo son Gay, you really should first put em in a blender
-Actually don't give your children meat at all that, could lead to cannibalism. 100% of the time all cannibals are fucking meat-eaters
-Reading may lead to your kids asking you too many questions. and when people don't get answers they get guns
-Taking your kids to a motel may lead to a life of prostitution
-Cutting crust off a sandwich may lead to your daughter getting an abortion
-Don't make yo kids cut the lawn that will lead to em wanting to be mexican
-Kneeling to pray at church can lead to yo daughter giving blowjobs
-Lighting a candle at church may make yo son Gay, only women are into candles
-If you let your little girl put her finger in olives she more likely to become a lesbo
-Letting your children play in a sandbox lead becoming a terrorist, sand sets lot of people off
-Selling lemonade can lead later in life to your child becoming a tax cheat
-High School leads to partying in college, if yo kids popular you
should encourage them to drop out
-Saying the word Fuck can lead to Aids

The thing is, pot doesnt lead to those things ... The only thing pot leads to is the kitchen.

Urdedpal said:
Pinch, sometimes you are too right. I notice that about two years ago and its always in the back of my mind. After all, they do have their quotas to fill so the budget gets increased for next year.

Thanks Mr Under. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

420AM&PM said:
The thing is, pot doesnt lead to those things ... The only thing pot leads to is the kitchen.

lol - sorry me bru! I am mearly stating that if pot leads to all those drugs then it also leads to GLOBAL WARMING, i.e. a satirical look at the stance taken by people that beleive its a gateway drug. There is clearly no link between eating apples and killing a duck for example - but if someone REALLY wants to peruade someone that there is they will device a way. U get my meaning? :peace:
ONE LOVE
:bongrip:

puwai said:
lol - sorry me bru! I am mearly stating that if pot leads to all those drugs then it also leads to GLOBAL WARMING, i.e. a satirical look at the stance taken by people that beleive its a gateway drug. There is clearly no link between eating apples and killing a duck for example - but if someone REALLY wants to peruade someone that there is they will device a way. U get my meaning? :peace:
ONE LOVE
:bongrip:

Oh yea, i know what your sayin ...

I'm sure that at least 90% of duck hunters have eaten apples, therfore eating apples increases your chance of becoming a duck hunter

:p

Marijuana is known as a gateway drug.............HMMMMMMM let me see as a gateway it lead to something right kinda like the Arch Gateway to the west(nice to go in when high do it all the tyme). Lets see what Marijuana lead to for me.....Munchies,Juice,Warter,Candy,Cooking,:bongrip:More munchies,sleep when i catch a cold wich i do get much cause of MJ, i dont take ANY MAN-MADE MEDS,Oh yea leads 2 happy deep thoughts:allgood:

OK Sgt Buttpigg, YA marijuna is a gateway drug MY ASS!!!! Ive been smoking mids pot since I was 15 and I hate other harder drugs.....Cocaine is nasty I tried it for experimental purposes and all it does to me is make me numb, hyper as hell, and it tastes like shit!!!! I didnt get hooked on any other drugs....I always used it for my back and it was legal at the time for medical purposes so i did it....I knew pot was gunna be fun just from looking at it.. I mean its such a neat looking plant that Tabacoo is UGLY and TASTE NASTY compared to it.... I smoke a cigarette and it gives me a stomach ache, smells worse and has about a million man made chemicals... Cigarets are worse than pot...

Back
Top Bottom