Has anyone used cfl-growlight.com

FirePig

They seem to have one of the better CFL setups that I have seen. Have you guys had any experience with them? Or other CFL light fixtures I should be looking at?

I ran across them when I was researching using CFL's. They are lower cost than most others I see online for sale. By viewing his pictures I saw that he starts with a basic edison lamp bulb socket or mogul for wiring, adds a Y adapter so you can attach two bulbs per socket. The proverbial light bulb click in my head - 20 years ago I used to buy English teapots that had the lids missing or broke - the teapot is 95% of the product and the lid is 5% but without a lid it's useless to the teapot collector - IDEA use the teapot to make a decorative lamp to sell by buying lamp parts and adding a shade. Could pick up the lidless teapots for $1 or $2 add the cord, harp, socket and shade (harp is the metal frame around bulb that holds the shade and presto you have a nice little lamp you can sell for $30 or more that cost you like $6.50 to make. The lamp parts are sold by lamp suppliers and Home Depot or Lowes but lamp suppliers are much much lower priced and have all the necessary sockets and other parts you'd need to build a light fixture. I used My Lamp Parts (Chicago) online and ordered the cluster sockets (2 bulb twin socket cost is $1.40, 3 bulb socket is $2.25 and 4 bulb socket is $3.26. You use keyless sockets as keyed sockets are for wall switch on/off hardwiring. Pick up a 16/2 6' extension cords from HD cost $1.47 each and simply cut off the female end and attach wires to socket using wire nuts and electrical tape as needed. $3.26 + $1.47 = $4.73 a fixture and each fixture holds 4 CFL bulbs. I attached 4 to an old piece of 1"x4"x4' pine board I had leftover 4 x $4.73 = $18.92; add 40" piece of aluminum flashing cost $1.00 ft sold in 10', 30', 50' rolls at HD/Lowes - paint it white on bottom for reflecting without heating; $18.92 + $4.00 = $22.92 a fixture. Using 23W bulbs just like he did in his (23W*16 bulbs = 368W). Wire nuts are $1.69 a bag of 10 but like the wood, wire nuts, extension cords and electrical tape I already had from the old days when we had a retail store. You sell lamps you buy lamp parts and you buy lots of extension cords. The other thing that's funny is to sell lamps in a retail store you typically remove 1/2 of the T12 40W bulbs in the overhead ceiling light fixtures (can't highlight a lamp for sale in a well light store) so I also have a garbage can full of T12 40W tubes! Which are great for seed germination.

Back
Top Bottom