Have I made a grievous mistake? Watered with tap water.

Ceneox

I have been using rain water I collect. Unfortunately, it the early hours of the morning I was not clear headed enough to use rain water and instead used normal tap water that must have some amount of chlorine in it. Needless to say I am distressed about this.

Will using tap water kill all of the beneficial bacteria I have been using?

I would like to know because I want to know if I have to reintroduce new bacteria because I killed all of them =(.

This has happened only once.

Im not sure on this as I dont use rain water. If you are checking Ph on the rain water and tap water I dont see there being much of a problem, but like I said I dont use it. I was thinking about using rain water and decided to check ph and found it to be in the range of 7.5 - 8.0, so I had my answer. I guess it would all depend on your area. My tap water was just as high, I did not check the chlorine level. After read here at 420 I decided to go with distilled water for now. This probably did not help you but I would check ph and chlorine levels.
Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

And :welcome: to :420:

I think that is the first time they had received chlorine. The PH has been okay for now. I am worried about the micro organisms in the soil that help. And thank you.

I've not found a problem with using tap water myself & finding very little hard core facts that chlorine effects MJ is even fewer...

After all chlorine evaporates from water in 24 hours or so, so they say & many people do stick their hose pipe straight into the tap & water many plants in the garden plus general house hold with out ill effect or documented facts leading to chlorine & bad plant growth in any form !!!

if you want to see how much chlorine is in your tap water , try putting just a few small minnows in it , they'll die in under a minute,usually almost instantly ,but let it sit for a day, and they'll do just fine.,, chlorine displaces oxygen..definitely leave tap water sit in a open container for a day or 2, before ya use it,,. Its true many people water gardens right from a hose on city water , but those gardens just survive , notice how they really come to life after a rain ,:surf:

geez bro do you
if you want to see how much chlorine is in your tap water , try putting just a few small minnows in it , they'll die in under a minute,usually almost instantly ,but let it sit for a day, and they'll do just fine.,, chlorine displaces oxygen..definitely leave tap water sit in a open container for a day or 2, before ya use it,,. Its true many people water gardens right from a hose on city water , but those gardens just survive , notice how they really come to life after a rain ,:surf:
geez bro IO hope you dont drink that water. I have feeder tanks for my oscar fish and I dont worry to much about the water in those tanks.city water here and they have live as long as they have too till dinner time.weeks sometimes:peace:

geez bro do yougeez bro IO hope you dont drink that water. I have feeder tanks for my oscar fish and I dont worry to much about the water in those tanks.city water here and they have live as long as they have too till dinner time.weeks sometimes:peace:

without the chlorine levels being as they are ,the city water system would not function .Nitrates will grow in some slower moving ,or dead end water lines , very dangerous to the very young and the older people , some smaller towns have had to shut down their water immediately after finding nitrate levels to high.. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom