Tap water vs Rain water

Bimmer85

I live next to a lake so my house has a run off of rain and well water constantly running to the lake. Is there any benefit to using this water since its chlorine free or are there harmful bacteria in it?

There can be bad stuff in it. But honestly all this chlorine stuff is mostly hype, possibly started by RO companies in the MJ community. I use tap water for my plants I even foliar spray them with straight tap. It is all good.

If you are really scared of chlorine for some reason then let the water sit for 24 hours in a open bucket. All the chlorine will be gone.

I personally water mine with a hose coming straight from the tap and everything is fine.

The only time I might shy away from chlorine is new baby clones. Besides that its fine man.

You can actually get some nutrients out of rain water. Its not a bad way to go. I would never use tap water that had chlorine in it. Chlorine is a deadly substance. It will kill you if you drink very much of it. The bacteria isn't a problem because you need bacteria in the soil to make it work.

Well I would test your PPM's of each and see.... If you tap water is below 400ppm then you should be pretty ok for using it...a lot of times well water has salt blocks added to it to soften the water, so it may be too high of sodium levels, so if this is the case you may want to either use the water before the softener (like the hose spigot outside) or use the rainwater with the lower ppm...I mean rainwater has been watering marijuana for thousands of years so I would have to say its definitely ok. :)

If your on a well, then I doubt that you have chlorine added to your water.

I have heavy amounts of chlorine in my water here in Socal as well as Chloromines which do not evaporate after 24 hours. My tap water smells like a swimming pool sometimes and with my organic grow, this would be devastating to my soil microlife...plus at a ppm 400+ it doesn't leave much room for nutrient absorption during early veg stages. So I had to get a R/O system.. but some may not need it, it all depends on your tap water in your area...

just my 2 cents in today's market :)

When it comes to tap water it largely depends on where you live as to how much chlorine and other chemicals are added to the water. For example in the UK, tap water in Wales and Scotland tastes much nicer/purer than in southern England because it is sourced from mountain streams and lakes and is generally cleaner. In the low-lying areas where the water has travelled much farther and picked up more muck and bacteria, more chemicals are added to sterilise it. As Icemud said about his area, sometimes the tap water smells like a swimming pool!! It's totally gross, not to mention terrible for your plants. I'd also agree with his statement about your well water, which actually renders most of what I've just said simply an FYI :oops: Probably should have started typing before I had a smoke!! :laughtwo:

If you have one of those big plastic barrels for collecting rainwater, that would be great for your girls. It ought to be a solid, dark colour (blue ones are common) and have a lid, lest you create an algae farm.

With all that said, I've always used tap water without much issue. Some fairly sensitive strains have had a few leaves turn brittle and yellow, but the sturdier girls drink it right up and couldn't care less!

just to clarify its actually rain water run off... living next to a lake makes for extremely moist and wet soil. I have various piping underground around the house which drains into my cellar and then to a sump pump going to the lake. I collect in the barrel right before it gets to the pump. I was thinking this would be good since the soil acts as a natural filter and also might add beneficial trace minerals and bacteria.

As long as the water is not stagnate and does not smell bad (which would mean its anerobic) I would use the rain water you got Bimmer.

TBH though 99% likely hood that either one of your waters would be fine.

Jimmycricket, the water is def not standing and is actually flowing slowly during the day. Ill try it out to see how it goes. In theory it does have its perks...

If it was Anerobic you would know it. Whenever you smell a foul puddle of water that is anerobic bacteria. If your water smells fine its probably fine to use on the plants.

Back
Top Bottom