Help! Clone problem - bizarre root formation

MisterSniffle

Hi everyone! I have a strange problem with some clones that I prepared a couple of weeks ago and I'm super curious about what the hell is going on here! I've cloned many other types of plants for indoor gardening (peppers, succulents, etc) but this is my first cannabis cloning attempt, and it's a doozy.

These clones were in their media and under a humidity dome for 13 days, and never managed to push any roots out of their cubes so I pulled the cubes apart for an autopsy. To my horror, I discovered strange knobby masses instead of any healthy rooting activity.

The clones were well-cared for and always looked very healthy. No wilting, spotting, curling or anything untoward during their time under the dome.

I'll insert the pictures first then supply all of the details. The pictures are linked to giant versions if you want a closer look:

Instead of roots,we got this strange structure

Hey! This is cannabis, not cauliflower!!

Here are the gory details:

The Parent Plants
  • Strain: Aurora Indica
  • One clone was taken from each of two mature parent plants (two clones total)
  • At the time of cloning, sex of the parent plants was not known. As it turned out, both were male
  • The parent plants were in vegetative growth phase when the clones were taken
  • The parent plants were 38 days old when the clones were taken
  • The parent plants were feed bloom nutrient solution (low N) for a few days before the clones were taken
  • The parent plants were grown in Ebb and Flood system under LED light, in a tent

The Clones
  • Clones were taken with a sterilized scalpel, cut at approx. 45 degrees. Re-sterilized between cuts
  • Clones were placed into pre-warmed Oasis cubes which were pre-soaked in pH adjusted (5.5) distilled water
  • Clones were kept under a humidity dome at 78 degrees, nearly 100% relative humidity
  • Dome was situated under a 125 watt CFL (6500k bulb) 18 hours/day
  • Heat was provided only by the light, heat mat was not used.
  • Dome was lifted 3x a day to exchange air
  • Clones were lightly misted with distilled water daily
  • After five days, clones were fed a weak nutrient solution which included a rooting supplement

Parting shot:

I took these clones before switching the two mature plants to a flowering photoperiod. This way I could backtrack if one of the plants turned out to be a great producer or desirable phenotype. However, both ended up male and were ultimately discarded. In that sense, it doesn't matter that these clones didn't take (since they're male). But if there's a mistake here, I'd like to not make it again in the future.

Thanks for any help!

-Sniff

Re: HALP! Clone problem - bizarre root formation

Hi MisterSniffle,

I have seen some photos that appeared somewhat similar. They were also clones, put in a misting propagator that was later discovered to be malfunctioning and spray too much water and not misting properly.

I don’t think the water was the issue though as I clone in cups of tap water with a pretty decent success rate.

Very odd indeed. Sorry I can’t help you get to the bottom of it, but I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope you find an answer.

I would also think maybe too much water? I've had some clones do this because they didn't have to seek water from the small cubes I had kept too wet. Play with the remaining clones and see what you come up with.

that should be the root starts. Or it could be salt build up.

I agree with 303 and had a similar situation for my first and only time so far from a clone off a Black Skull fem Jack Herer seed plant.It looked rough already up top but I planted it where it sent roots out later and lived. I thought to much water and now Im keeping plugs rung out damp and quit spraying clones directly only the inside of dome. My routine and equipment is not so sterile either
daves_036.JPG

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

So it sounds like I need to lay off misting clones directly. I always mist the inside of the dome but I've been spraying the plants, too. Ah well, it's going to be a while before I have another plant ready to take clones from so I guess I won't get to try again until the new year. :dreamy:

Peace,

-Sniff

Hi MisterSniffle,

I have seen some photos that appeared somewhat similar. They were also clones, put in a misting propagator that was later discovered to be malfunctioning and spray too much water and not misting properly.

I don’t think the water was the issue though as I clone in cups of tap water with a pretty decent success rate.

Very odd indeed. Sorry I can’t help you get to the bottom of it, but I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope you find an answer.

Can I root a clone in low cfl light in a glass jar with holes in the lid? When you root in tap water, is clone under a dome,

or exposed to open air? and no high humidity needed? thank you!

Back
Top Bottom