HELP, I Got Spider Mites

Everyday without fail, we see a new POST saying

HELP I GOT SPIDER MITES

Upon investigating or asking some questions, we learn...............

They did not know that high humidity, high moisture, and bright lights attracks bugs.

They did not spray the floor and walls with a safe pesticide before starting the grow.

They did not use any pest strips near the door.

They did allow the cat or dog to come into the area.

They did wear shoes outdoors and then walk around the grow area with the same shoes on.

They did bring in tools from outside, from the barn, the garage, and from the yard into the grow area.

They did have some soil plants growing near the hydro area.

They did not sterilize the soil they used from outdoors.

They did leave a window open to let some fresh air in.

They did work in the outdoor garden and then come inside and work in the indoor garden area.

HELP I GOT SPIDER MITES

They did not know that high humidity, high moisture, and bright lights attracks bugs.

They did not spray the floor and walls with a safe pesticide before starting the grow.

They did wear shoes outdoors and then walk around the grow area with the same shoes on.

They did bring in tools from outside, from the barn, the garage, and from the yard into the grow area.

They did let a window open to let some fresh air in.

They did work in the outdoor garden and then come inside and work in the indoor garden area.

AND they didn't have a bottle of SNS-217 waiting......:ganjamon:

HELP I GOT SPIDER MITES

They did leave a window open to let some fresh air in.

great post

Indeed, excellent post!

I would add though:

They did not dip their clones upon acquiring them from another person, and so invited the mites to come on in and play with abandon.

Life does not arrise from the aether, as it where -- they have to get in somehow.

They did not dip their clones upon acquiring them from another person, and so invited the mites to come on in and play with abandon.

guilty as charged, your honor......:icon_roll

Indeed, excellent post!

I would add though:

Life does not arrise from the aether, as it where -- they have to get in somehow.

An ounce of PREVENTION is worth a ton of CURE, they say.

I wish I could get more first time growers to read this.

couldnt of happened to a nicer guy!!! haha

also remember to keep your grow area clean during your grow, dont allow dead leaves to sit on the floor in piles and sit in your pots/net cups.

guilty as charged, your honor......:icon_roll

Ya, the product I recommend is not a site sponsor, but suffice it to say, it is outrageously expensive, has a short name, and works 100% of the time.

There really is no substitute for using high-quality products for your garden -- be it nutes, materials, lights, whatever, as someone on this site said a while back, when you go cheap, you grow cheap.

Mites are an absolute horror, but they are, in reality, 100% preventable.

Roseman, you are so right -- we should have a whole section of just stickies of posts like this, that new members could be directed to, sort of a "beginner's guide" to the most common mistakes and problems new growers typically encounter...

:thanks:

Mites definitely are a serious pain in the ass.

After dealing with my neighbor's home made mite killing spray concoction killing the leaves on most of the plants in my first grow, I went to ladybugs in my second grow.

They are kinda stupid and it takes them a few weeks to get the mites under control, but they do it. Most annoying part is seeing them get out from under the plastic grow room wall and start walking all over my apartment.

But it keeps the grow all natural with no chemicals. I had enough of that in the first grow!

Roseman, you are so right -- we should have a whole section of just stickies of posts like this, that new members could be directed to, sort of a "beginner's guide" to the most common mistakes and problems new growers typically encounter...

:thanks:

You are absolutely right, but would they read it?

I had a newb invite me to his new first thread today, his first grow. He had one dead sprout and the others were dying. His sprouts were still the round cotyledons only, no 2nd nodes seen yet, but he had already added nutes. He said he had read my tutorail on how to do it, but
He put his seeds in the rockwool cubes, in the reservoir, and dumped his nutes in, killed his sprouts and wanted to know if he should be using cold or warm water in his tank. I'm saying he started his grow and had not read up on how to do it yet.
Maybe we need a sticky for newbs telling them they have to read up.??

Spider Mites and Pests

Last night my wife comes running in the den and says

Dear, Dear, my violets are covered in aphids. Do you have anything from your hydro supplies I can borrow to kill them?

Well, I didn't. So I spent an hour goggling natural pesticides.

I found that I need to mix in water to make a spray, one or two of the following:

Ivory Soap

Canola Oil

Tobacco

Garlic

Blended up chrysanthemums (makes pyrethrum )

so we got some ivory soap, a clove of garlic, some chrysanthemum leaves and blended the heck out of them, and sprayed her violets.

This morning, we had dead aphids and not one live one.

Try it, you can make a preventative or a cure.

im guilty of all this on the list but no mites yet :knocks on wood: will go to the store and aquire sns 217 or w/e it is tomorrow incase lol

Back
Top Bottom