Help identify disease or deficiency

guerrillabalconygrower

Pictured here is a Northern Lights photo. 6 weeks old. Have started noticing a few white/ burnt spots on the leaves recently. Thought it could be an aberration at first but it has since multiplied on other leaves. My first reaction was Calcium deficiency. So thinking of introducing cal-mag to its nutrient schedule. Currently using chemical nutes Grow-Micro-Bloom combo. Lower leaves have also started yellowing now.

IMG_1793.jpeg

IMG_1792.jpeg

They are looking good from what I can see. Maybe a photo from the side so the group can see the lower leaves that have started yellowing.

What mix are these plants growing in. Kind of looks like coco coir with perlite but best to ask. And are you growing inside or outside or moving them in & out?

Currently using chemical nutes Grow-Micro-Bloom combo.
Are you using the AN schedule as far as dose and frequency?

They are looking good from what I can see. Maybe a photo from the side so the group can see the lower leaves that have started yellowing.

What mix are these plants growing in. Kind of looks like coco coir with perlite but best to ask. And are you growing inside or outside or moving them in & out?

Coco coir + perlite + regular potting soil.
Growing outside in sunlight. Daylight is around 12 hrs currently. Shortest day here is about 10 hrs (around winter solstice). Avg daytime temp is around 30deg C or 86 deg F. Humidity 70 to 80%
Watering Frequency is by “lift container” method but also using a moisture meter to be sure.
The plant was transplanted to the large container only a couple of days ago. So for now will partially water when the top soil feels dry. (Using Emilya’s guide)
Feeding schedule is WF. 1 water followed by 1 feed. Not sure what AN schedule is.

Side views.

It’s these white spots that I’m worried about. Spread to a couple of leaves at least. Doubt it’s bugs or mites since I’m using neem spray weekly.

IMG_1808.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1806.jpeg

The plant was transplanted to the large container only a couple of days ago. So for now will partially water when the top soil feels dry. (Using Emilya’s guide)
If you are actually using Emilya's guide, you will not be 'partially watering when the top soil feels dry'. Please go read her guide again.
Your plant looks hungry, Idk what your feed schedule looks like, but your plant seems to need/want more.

At a guess, I think the white spots are where something, likely nutes, got spilled or dripped onto the leaf.

It is a little difficult to know how to advise you since you mixed coco and soil, and now have a hybrid situation. Coco needs to be kept wet/fed daily, soil needs to be dried in between feed/waterings. Idk how to make your circumstance work tbh, but I'm sure someone here has ideas that will help.

Feeding schedule is WF. 1 water followed by 1 feed. Not sure what AN schedule is.
Advanced Nutrients is the company that makes the Grow-Micro-Bloom combination of nutrients that you have been using. They have a schedule on their website of how much to of each of the three to mix with the water. The doses and sometimes the frequency are based on what week of the grow you and your plants are in.

It does seem that you did not interpret what Emilya mentioned in her guide. During flowering the pots allowed to dry out till they feel very light and then it is a very complete and thorough watering until there is just the start of a bit of water running out the bottom of the pot. She recommended the partial watering for when the flowering stage has started. When the soil just starts to dry out on the surface some water is used to bring the soil moisture back up.

However, as @Sueet brings up you have changed to game with the different soil mix. A mix of coco coir, Perlite and compost is not all that unusual anymore. However, since you added in regular potting soil it will take some adjusting since many potting soils already have peat moss or coco coir and Perlite already mixed in.

End result is that most likely there is not enough "mineral" or "organic" soil in the blend and the plants cannot pull enough nutrition. That is why the lower leaves are starting to turn yellow. Doing things like increasing the fertilizing dose and watering a bit more often come to mind as possible starters to get your plants growing fantastically.

Advanced Nutrients is the company that makes the Grow-Micro-Bloom combination of nutrients that you have been using. They have a schedule on their website of how much to of each of the three to mix with the water. The doses and sometimes the frequency are based on what week of the grow you and your plants are in.

It does seem that you did not interpret what Emilya mentioned in her guide. During flowering the pots allowed to dry out till they feel very light and then it is a very complete and thorough watering until there is just the start of a bit of water running out the bottom of the pot. She recommended the partial watering for when the flowering stage has started. When the soil just starts to dry out on the surface some water is used to bring the soil moisture back up.

However, as @Sueet brings up you have changed to game with the different soil mix. A mix of coco coir, Perlite and compost is not all that unusual anymore. However, since you added in regular potting soil it will take some adjusting since many potting soils already have peat moss or coco coir and Perlite already mixed in.

End result is that most likely there is not enough "mineral" or "organic" soil in the blend and the plants cannot pull enough nutrition. That is why the lower leaves are starting to turn yellow. Doing things like increasing the fertilizing dose and watering a bit more often come to mind as possible starters to get your plants growing fantastically.
Thank you for the detailed explainer.

Brand AN or GH is not available locally for me. So using a local brand which has the same 3 part nutrients and the feeding chart is as under:

I’ve been following the Soil Early Veg schedule. 1 feed, 1 plain water.

But will now up it to aggressive veg growth schedule, alternate feeds with plain water and observe.

Watering frequency I may increase too since it is extremely hot here right now

IMG_1814.png

It does seem that you did not interpret what Emilya mentioned in her guide. During flowering the pots allowed to dry out till they feel very light and then it is a very complete and thorough watering until there is just the start of a bit of water running out the bottom of the pot
Didn't you mean during veg? In flower she changed to giving them as much water as they wanted, though i think she still let the pot dry out a bit more every week or two. In veg she recommended letting the pots dry to the point they were surprisingly light when picked up.

Didn't you mean during veg? In flower she changed to giving them as much water as they wanted, though i think she still let the pot dry out a bit more every week or two. In veg she recommended letting the pots dry to the point they were surprisingly light when picked up.
Yep, you are right. It is as much water as necessary to bring the pots back up to fully watered during the vegetating stage. And, during flowering only let the very surface dry out and then water enough to maintain a damp soil.

She even mentioned that she was accepting that the testing with the finger knuckle would help determine that it was time to water when in flowering.

I’m actually using coco peat and perlite to loosen up the soil since it gets too compact without these amendments (high clay content).

Upping the fertiliser dose seems to be showing results. Quick new shoots with a good green colour.

One doubt though: the plant is still small for the container it’s in. So I do a partial watering for the top surface? Or let the pot dry out completely? It’s been 4 days since last feed.

Also, is Feed-Water-Feed a better approach or just Feed-Feed-Feed and then finally flush?

Also, is Feed-Water-Feed a better approach or just Feed-Feed-Feed and then finally flush?
Since you are in a coco and soil mix you should consider a frequent feed to the schedule. It is something you are going to have to experiment with to see what works best.

One doubt though: the plant is still small for the container it’s in.
It has only been 4 days. The plant can improve color and even start growing new tips in a matter of days but it will take time for it to get larger.

Back
Top Bottom