Help identify this problem please!

cpla

This is my first grow. This is a REALLY bushy plant that isn't stretching at all. It germinated Feb 25th. It's still in veg. I've noticed under the LED it looks bad but in natural light it looks ok. I zeroed in on one leaf that seems to be affected the most. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
7d714a967ebc497696dc4e8c869d88af.jpg
cca98f9a469e63f81313d79a1e3a871f.jpg

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using 420

I'm using foxfarm ocean Forrest with the foxfarm liquid mixture fertilizers called "Grow Big" and "Big Bloom". Molasses and Cal Mag every watering. The ferts I've used once a week. Temps between 75-85 since its white rhino and it likes a little hotter temps. Humidity has stayed between 28-38%. I'm using RO water. I'm using 2 300 watt LED's with a blue plant bulb for veg growth. I stopped PH'ing my water after reading it doesn't matter anyway. PH of the soil is close to 7.0 anyway so I think that's good. I'm wondering if she's not getting enough light because of how bushy she is the upper leaves are blocking the light to the lower leaves. But I also read that trimming them is a bad idea.

That's all I can think of as far as pertinent information. I don't have a watering schedule. When they need water, I give it to them. I check if the leaves are pointed up and perky or not and stick my finger about an inch down to feel for moisture. That's my watering schedule. I'm using smart pots so I don't think overwatering is an issue. I'm honestly at a loss.

Well I think Big Bloom is likely meant only for bloom and can cause burn in Veg. So you might start by removing that. How big is the pot? It may be root bound.

The humidity is too low. That should not go bellow 40% until late bloom. At this stage closer to 60% would be preferred. Below 40 is slowing growth.

What you are looking at is actually likely recovery from potassium deficiency. Maybe previously you re-potted them when they were root bound already? The issue looks to be in the past.

I would recommend that you get some Potassium Silicate in there ASAP. Commonly refereed to as SIlica it will help with a bunch of things. I use it as my Up when adjusting solutions. Every company makes some sort of silica product. Well worth the money.

:goodluck:

GreenMachine is correct. They are both for veg stage. TigerBloom is for flowering and I haven't added that yet. Grow Big is 6-4-4 and Big Bloom is .01-.3-.7 Very light in the NPK scale.

I first noticed this about a week ago. It's weird because you can barely see it in natural light.

The theory of Potassium actually sounds legit. In early germination and seedlings stage, I watered with tap water. I didn't get any Cal Mag till about a week and a half ago. I started using RO water once I transplanted.

Plants are in 5 gallon smart pots. The roots are moste definitely not showing through the sides of the pot. My original idea was to keep the roots topped. I saw a video of a guy topping roots in a 5 gallon smart pot and it worked out perfect.

The rest of the plant looks great. Here's some pictures
c1b10990694b998e1c9eceb1c7c9bd98.jpg
b015df7a14ab47859d46ea7efa22eba1.jpg
44f98ab09f6136e6069acfad96f4df8a.jpg

I totally agree. They ARE small. Any suggestions on making them stretch? I have my scrog set up and waiting. I just moved my lights up as high as they'll go. I even added that third blue plant light.

This is from Nirvana Seeds. White Rhino

It is not an issue it is way small but that is potassium Def just late stage and over with. It has healed from it already. Just leave it be and when the plant is done reusing the nutes it stored in the leaf it will come off easily.

Tight inner nodal spacing is desired but if you want to stretch it then yes reducing the lights to something in the 150W range and move it away would cause stretch.

Most people prefer what you are seeing and train them out as they get older. You can top that one early and get real thick side branches that will hold up strong to larger flowers.

I understand. I just expected it to at least touch the scrog by now. None of them are even a foot tall yet. As these newer leaves sprout, they block the light to the lower leaves and I can't get any light to them. Once on the scrog I can train them. I'll try your suggestion lowering the wattage and widening the distance. Thank you guys a LOT for the help. This community is awesome

The plant will be fine and not outgrow itself. Just let it be for a while. That is not uncommon and it is the sign of a great start. Just have patience and it will make it.

Good job so far! :thumb:

Really? Ok. I still think it's small but I'll defer to the experts

It is small. It will get bigger....but the fact that it is growing fast now is a good thing and nothing more. It doesn't guarantee a great finish either. All it means is things are good now. Keep it this happy the whole time and you will be proud.

I agree. Plant looks nice and bushy. Looks like the problems past its worst and regrowing rapid.
Im under led and also had a slow start. Once they get enough foliage they take off. Honestly mate. Believe in yourself and only make one change at a time. Let the plant teach you what it wants.
Ideally you want to not play with anything much. Have the right amount of nutes for the stage of growth and things should stay stable. No ph adjustments. If you notice tiny things like leaf droop to leaf stand up work out why. What have you done to cause it. What im trying to say is watch your plant and learn as you go. Take notice of everything. But keep it simple.

Sent from my SM-J110F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Was the leave's stem broken before or after you noticed what looked like a deficiency?

Sent from my Z958 using 420
That was my attempt at super cropping. I pinched the stem to break the cell wall. I guess the leaves weighed it down and snapped the branch. The deficiency showed afterwards. It's also doing the same thing on all the undergrowth. It turns yellow then falls off the plant. Newer growth doesn't seem affected at all. I really think it's the top leaves blocking light to the undergrowth. I did throw some potash in there and put my humidifier back in the tent. My humidity is now holding between 50-60%.

Any other suggestions?

That was my attempt at super cropping. I pinched the stem to break the cell wall. I guess the leaves weighed it down and snapped the branch. The deficiency showed afterwards. It's also doing the same thing on all the undergrowth. It turns yellow then falls off the plant. Newer growth doesn't seem affected at all. I really think it's the top leaves blocking light to the undergrowth. I did throw some potash in there and put my humidifier back in the tent. My humidity is now holding between 50-60%.
Any other suggestions?
Welcome cpla, stewie d, and crash to :420:
Wow! Three new members on the same thread. Let me see if I can help without getting too technical. Super cropping can cause a stem to snap off if done too aggressively. When doing so it is important that stem can support the weight horizontally. If it looks or feels like its too heavy you can always prop it up so that after the bruised stem heals it will support the weight.
It sounds like you used the method I use to super crop. I gently squeeze all the way around the stem where I want to make my bend. Carefully bend the stem horizontally and release. Some times you will find them already curving upwards the next day. :cheesygrinsmiley:
IMG_102428.JPG

IMG_102226.JPG
As far as the spotted leaves go, I usually remove them. Sometimes we can do everything right and they still show up! Keep monitoring your grow, but don't over analyze little problems. Give yourself a check list. Nutrients, soil composition OR hydro solution, lighting, ventilation, ALL those things that add up to a healthy environment for your plants. Contrary to some, "weeds" need nurturing too :cheesygrinsmiley:

I stopped PH'ing my water after reading it doesn't matter anyway.

I never bothered to check/adjust the pH of my water. I figured that it'd be pointless since the pH would change when I used that water to mix up my nutrient solution. I hope you aren't meaning that you don't check (and adjust, if necessary) the pH of that.

Back
Top Bottom