Help me on this stage

Weekender

OK I have been doing this 10 plus years. Last few years I have had some issues with the growing stage which is germinationt - to standing up in the dirt mixture. I am a seed planter germinate in between wet paper towels in a warm spot of my home. Seeds are strong from a breeder, 24 to 72 hours later they have half inch nice white tails time to go into the soil. This is where the trouble starts, maybe 25% of the starts never come up out of the soil in 2021, I am accustomed to 100% or close to, on my starts at this stage. The problem is my dirt. I plant in 18 count flats so a cup and a half of soil. No transplants until they go out in the field, they are root bound at the time but they do well once unleashed. I have been mixing garden soil (bags) with perlite. I don't like peat moss and have done well with Rockwool in the past placing the tailed seeds in them. My question is what's your soil mix for seeds is just coming out of germination, not looking for nutes or watering schedule but dirt recipe. I am non-organic due to wild animals. One thing that goes through my mind was the temperature of the dirt at the exact time. It was in a tub in my basement where I sit today, so 70 F but the cement is cold, it is real winter out there.

OK I have been doing this 10 plus years. Last few years I have had some issues with the growing stage which is germinationt - to standing up in the dirt mixture. I am a seed planter germinate in between wet paper towels in a warm spot of my home. Seeds are strong from a breeder, 24 to 72 hours later they have half inch nice white tails time to go into the soil. This is where the trouble starts, maybe 25% of the starts never come up out of the soil in 2021, I am accustomed to 100% or close to, on my starts at this stage. The problem is my dirt. I plant in 18 count flats so a cup and a half of soil. No transplants until they go out in the field, they are root bound at the time but they do well once unleashed. I have been mixing garden soil (bags) with perlite. I don't like peat moss and have done well with Rockwool in the past placing the tailed seeds in them. My question is what's your soil mix for seeds is just coming out of germination, not looking for nutes or watering schedule but dirt recipe. I am non-organic due to wild animals. One thing that goes through my mind was the temperature of the dirt at the exact time. It was in a tub in my basement where I sit today, so 70 F but the cement is cold, it is real winter out there.
You probably dont want to hear my lazy method. Just solo cup, promix, first knuckle of my index finger, little water, done.

Correct. A frequently overlooked factor is the temperature of the roots - during the entire plant's life. 27-28c or 80F is good for germination. Keep them warm during the first couple weeks of seedling stage too. 25c. Cooler once they are into vegetative growth. Summer time in outdoor planters roots can get too warm.

Just my practice, but I put the sprouts into the soil/mix with the seed head just barely below soil level.

Accidental over watering is also very common in sprouting and seedling stage.

Cheers :thumb:

My question is what's your soil mix for seeds is just coming out of germination, not looking for nutes or watering schedule but dirt recipe.
I have not had any problem planting in whatever soil mix is handy. Germination rate is close to 100% with just about any reasonably fresh and mature looking Marijuana, vegetable or flower seed.

Put soil in very small plastic pots meant for seed starting. They are about the same size as the Solo cups but are free. If the soil is properly wet just poke a hole in it to the depth of the pencil point, drop the seed in and push some soil over it and maybe add a few drops of water. Put the small container on top of the lights in the canopy over the aquarium and wait for several days. Most of the weed seeds sprout in 24 to 48 hours, occasionally take as long as 4 or 5 days. As soon as they sprout they go under lights.

Never did understand why Marijuana seeds need to be sprouted between paper towels. That old time method was used by farmers and gardeners to tell the germination success rate of bulk orders of seed but not to start each one.

When we were kids in school we'd germinate seeds similarly in a glass of water with paper towel wrapped around inside. Mostly so you can see the seeds. Now I do it to keep track of those expensive store bought seeds.

Back
Top Bottom