Help me with my dry & cure issue please

Makeminefullgrown

So I have a big problem and need some fast advice….
I harvested 1 of 3 plants around a month ago. Not super huge buds but fairly dense. I wet trimmed pretty tight and hung in my cellar. The temp was a constant 58F and the RH was always between 57-63%….I aimed for 60% but it did vary a little.
After 10 days the buds felt quite dry….a little crunchy on the outside but softer in the middle.
I moved them to Grove Bags with my most accurate hygrometers…..if such a thing even exists.
After 24hrs they read 61%, so I thought I had hit the mark with drying.
Over the next 2 weeks I looked in on them and the hygrometer always read either 61-62%……so I let them be. They were stored in a sealed tote in that same cellar where it’s nice and cool.
Yesterday I decided to open the bag with my biggest colas…..and almost cried when the smell of hay/fresh cut grass hit me in the face. These were Super Skunk plants that had a nice skunky smell while growing.
I pulled one from the bag and smelled it up close and it was Hay city.
At first I thought it just needs to cure more. So I sealed it back up…however l looked in on it an hour later and the hygrometer reading was 63/64%.
This leads me to believe it wasn’t dry enough in the first place.
I just pulled my other 2 plants and they are drying in the same cellar, but I was told to aim for 62-65% RH, so that’s what I’m doing with those buds.
What should I do with the first buds?
And am I misunderstanding things or will buds drying in a 65% RH room never dry below 65%???
I believe in the Grove bags but just hate to ruin such beautiful buds.
Help me out guys….and thank u
I included pics just to show the relative size of things.
6472982B-B87F-4F60-AFDA-B1EF386DFB15.jpeg
7150B4D4-9F37-41CD-A627-4C18B124048A.jpeg

So I have a big problem and need some fast advice….
I harvested 1 of 3 plants around a month ago. Not super huge buds but fairly dense. I wet trimmed pretty tight and hung in my cellar. The temp was a constant 58F and the RH was always between 57-63%….I aimed for 60% but it did vary a little.
After 10 days the buds felt quite dry….a little crunchy on the outside but softer in the middle.
I moved them to Grove Bags with my most accurate hygrometers…..if such a thing even exists.
After 24hrs they read 61%, so I thought I had hit the mark with drying.
Over the next 2 weeks I looked in on them and the hygrometer always read either 61-62%……so I let them be. They were stored in a sealed tote in that same cellar where it’s nice and cool.
Yesterday I decided to open the bag with my biggest colas…..and almost cried when the smell of hay/fresh cut grass hit me in the face. These were Super Skunk plants that had a nice skunky smell while growing.
I pulled one from the bag and smelled it up close and it was Hay city.
At first I thought it just needs to cure more. So I sealed it back up…however l looked in on it an hour later and the hygrometer reading was 63/64%.
This leads me to believe it wasn’t dry enough in the first place.
I just pulled my other 2 plants and they are drying in the same cellar, but I was told to aim for 62-65% RH, so that’s what I’m doing with those buds.
What should I do with the first buds?
And am I misunderstanding things or will buds drying in a 65% RH room never dry below 65%???
I believe in the Grove bags but just hate to ruin such beautiful buds.
Help me out guys….and thank u
I included pics just to show the relative size of things.
6472982B-B87F-4F60-AFDA-B1EF386DFB15.jpeg
7150B4D4-9F37-41CD-A627-4C18B124048A.jpeg
Good afternoon my friend @Makeminefullgrown hope you are well my friend.
Congratulations nice harvest.
I'd stop playing with them and put them in mason jars right now.
You want them above 62% when they go into the jars.
As it cures and dries it'll drop down to 62%.
Jar it asap.

Stay safe
Bill

Should I burp? If so, how often?
And do u think it’ll get it’s good smell back?
As long as there is still a decent amount of moisture left in them they will cure.
Curing breaks down the chlorophyll " hay smell" and natural aromas will replace them.
To what extent?
Burp.
At around 62 is rh go once or twice a day.
Higher rh more or let them sit out an hour then back in.
But I doubt you will have high rh.
So once or twice a day for a couple weeks, shaking the jar each time.
After a couple weeks if rh is 62 or less every day or so.
If Higher more.
Put it in and what do your hygrometers say?
After a couple hrs?

Stay safe
Bill

During the cure process the strategy is to gradually reduce the moisture content within the buds to a easy ready combustible consistency. The extended period is required for the bud to partially degrade unpalatable offensive metabolite residues left in the cannabis buds. The slower and more drawn out the gradual reduction of moisture content the smoother resulting quality of the cannabis buds.

I believe the buds were isolated too early before a consistent moisture level was reached.

With this quick cure method when you cure your buds you need to allow the humidity to stabilize throughout the buds as they cure by placing the buds in a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days where they can stabilize to relative humidity. I also re humidify my buds by placing the buds in a container with a humidity pad that you wet to add humidity back to buds and stabilize the cured buds to 62% humidity before smoking. Using a brown sugar saver can also be used to re humidify cannabis buds. I recommend after the buds are dried and the buds just snap from the stem you can cut the buds off the stems and place the buds into storage containers to begin curing. Boveda 62% humidity packs can be used to keep your curing buds at 62% humidity and used for long term storage

Boveda for Cannabis

So it would be really tough to overdry if I keep them hanging in 60-65% RH??
Is it beneficial to let them get to that 62ish point and keep them hanging longer??

Is it beneficial to let them get to that 62ish point and keep them hanging longer??
No

Stay safe
Bill

Primarily I believe that the timing of when the cannabis buds are thoroughly dried to same consistency and then sealed to prolong the cure process is key to producing high quality cannabis medicine. I believe that the buds are too moist and were not consistent when they were placed in the sealed bags. Additional time should be given to allow the buds to dry to the point the buds can just be snapped from the stems before being placed into bags or containers.

when we write concerning relative humidity levels the intended purpose of the cannabis buds also factors into the ideal moisture in the cannabis buds. When the cannabis buds are used for either concentrates or infusions the preferred moisture levels are either 58%, 65%, 69%, 72% or 75% humidity based on intended use. This is why Boveda now caries different selections of Humidipaks.

Most cannabis smokers who use rolled joint or pipes prefer 58% - 62% humidity levels, others who use vaporizers or bongs may find the cannabis too dry which they report more cough side effect due to the dryness.

Back
Top Bottom