Over-dried buds and curing: need help

richdoh1

Upon drying I trimmed off the fan leaves and hung entire plants. Kept humidty between 50-60% and dried for 10 days. I trimmed and jared for curing when the smaller stems would make that snap sound when bending. During trimming buds seemed to be overly dry. Hoped cure would being it back some. However they have been in jars for 3 days and the humidity in jars is between 50-54% depending on the jar. Also the smell is not very potent and still has some of that hay smell. I was thinking of putting some 62% Boveda packs in. Any suggesting or information would be appreciated.

Upon drying I trimmed off the fan leaves and hung entire plants. Kept humidty between 50-60% and dried for 10 days. I trimmed and jared for curing when the smaller stems would make that snap sound when bending. During trimming buds seemed to be overly dry. Hoped cure would being it back some. However they have been in jars for 3 days and the humidity in jars is between 50-54% depending on the jar. Also the smell is not very potent and still has some of that hay smell. I was thinking of putting some 62% Boveda packs in. Any suggesting or information would be appreciated.

all you can do is run with a boveda at this point and try.

i generally bury the boveda in a jar about the middle if i use them. after adding them, monitor the jar rh, it could still spike, if it does, burp as normal til it settles and seal up.

another trick is to keep some of the thicker stems and add them to the jars to bring rh up naturally. they dry out last, and help with terpenes etc.. if the stems get too dry though you have to remove them, as they will pull instead of add after a point.

finally if faced with drier hanging conditions it helps to hang the plant whole, rather than individual branches. a shorter hang time may be required. the 10 - 14 day hang is based on mythical perfect conditions that don't occur in the real world.

the hang is mostly to shed chlorophyll, which happens quick, and to get under an rh that promotes mold. if you are facing low rh, the first is hard and the second is easy. a fast dry locks the chlorophyll.

i routinely hang in rh at 25% or under. i hang as short as 3 - 4 days some time whole plant. the jar cure is far more important. that's where you work it all out and get the flavours. going in too dry is hard or impossible to come back from.

just try to get them in to the jars below 70% and above 60 if possible. going in at 70 or above can get you mold. you might have to pull and re dry a day if that high.

60 or above means you can get a decent cure. they usually rise a touch when jarred. monitor and burp til stable the seal them up. i like a good long cure period. 2 months is about right for me. then at a month sealed after stable..

if it goes in too dry, i'll seal with a boveda, and let it sit for longer periods between checking. up to a wk. that's all you can do.

Patience young grass hopper :green_heart:

You expect to much so soon !

The curing process in short takes two weeks on average but other growers may prefer longer aka months & some like myself may have a jar of vintage bud from a few year ago :thumb:

THE HAY SMELL

That in general is the chlorophyll pigment in the plant dispersing which may last into the curing process with some strains.

Which the dominate terpene profile may have some play to take part in this.

Example of terpene profiles - Terpinolene (fruity), Myrcene (herbal), Pinene (pine) etc

Patience young grass hopper :green_heart:

You expect to much so soon !

The curing process in short takes two weeks on average but other growers may prefer longer aka months & some like myself may have a jar of vintage bud from a few year ago :thumb:

THE HAY SMELL

That in general is the chlorophyll pigment in the plant dispersing which may last into the curing process with some strains.

Which the dominate terpene profile may have some play to take part in this.

Example of terpene profiles - Terpinolene (fruity), Myrcene (herbal), Pinene (pine) etc
I will try to be patient! lol.. I just figured the RH in the jar would be coming up quickly being freshly trimmed and put in the jar. I did smoke some and although the flavor and smell isn't there yet me and my girl were in the clouds so thats a good start. lol

all you can do is run with a boveda at this point and try.

i generally bury the boveda in a jar about the middle if i use them. after adding them, monitor the jar rh, it could still spike, if it does, burp as normal til it settles and seal up.

another trick is to keep some of the thicker stems and add them to the jars to bring rh up naturally. they dry out last, and help with terpenes etc.. if the stems get too dry though you have to remove them, as they will pull instead of add after a point.

finally if faced with drier hanging conditions it helps to hang the plant whole, rather than individual branches. a shorter hang time may be required. the 10 - 14 day hang is based on mythical perfect conditions that don't occur in the real world.

the hang is mostly to shed chlorophyll, which happens quick, and to get under an rh that promotes mold. if you are facing low rh, the first is hard and the second is easy. a fast dry locks the chlorophyll.

i routinely hang in rh at 25% or under. i hang as short as 3 - 4 days some time whole plant. the jar cure is far more important. that's where you work it all out and get the flavours. going in too dry is hard or impossible to come back from.

just try to get them in to the jars below 70% and above 60 if possible. going in at 70 or above can get you mold. you might have to pull and re dry a day if that high.

60 or above means you can get a decent cure. they usually rise a touch when jarred. monitor and burp til stable the seal them up. i like a good long cure period. 2 months is about right for me. then at a month sealed after stable..

if it goes in too dry, i'll seal with a boveda, and let it sit for longer periods between checking. up to a wk. that's all you can do.
Thank you. I can keep the drying tent pretty stable. For this I set my exhaust fan to kick on at 60% and let it go. After about 5 days it wasn't coming on at all to keep below that. Do you go off the branch snap method to determine when they are dry enough? I do still have the larger stems so I trimmed those up and put in the jars. Just gonna let them sit, Monitor and hope for the best!!

Yes grass hopper you are learning :)

Combustion methods are crude when one may wish to experience the terpene profile of a tasty strain !

It may take years of self education in the principles of cannabis to fully understand the many areas so many wish to seek :green_heart:

Thank you. I can keep the drying tent pretty stable. For this I set my exhaust fan to kick on at 60% and let it go. After about 5 days it wasn't coming on at all to keep below that. Do you go off the branch snap method to determine when they are dry enough? I do still have the larger stems so I trimmed those up and put in the jars. Just gonna let them sit, Monitor and hope for the best!!

i mostly do it by touch now. i keep an rh monitor in the room to give me a rough idea. i don't run a fan unless the ambient rh is high. i usually face drier conditions though.

Curing happens between 65-59% RH. If your initial drying takes the RH down past 59, curing is done... there is no way to bring it back. There is a bacteria that causes a lot of curing to happen, and it dies down below 59. Even re-wetting the product with Bovida packs or lettuce or orange peels can not restart the cure. If you over dry, you have ruined 4 months of previous work. Be careful.

Too quick of a dry, not good. No rushing this process.
65f and 60% rh for two weeks dry time or so. I would love going longer but cant get the temps down during the summer.
After that, seal and store. Shouldn't have to burp at all, as burping kills curing process.
One month later should be rockin.
That is a new one on me, how does burping kill curing? The point of burping is to let out any excess moisture in the jar, and to replenish the oxygen for the microherd. Or at least, that has been my understanding of it.

That is a new one on me, how does burping kill curing? The point of burping is to let out any excess moisture in the jar, and to replenish the oxygen for the microherd. Or at least, that has been my understanding of it.
Putting the flower in the jar above 60rh with a short dry time, burping is necessary to bleed out moisture.

Longer dry time (with right temps/rh) would be minimal burping, if any.
Without burping, 2-4 weeks cure time theres no comparison with the jar that constantly has to be burp because of humidity and minimal dry time, which kills terps long term and gives off hay smell. (Burping is a art, but its not the only way)
This is what works for me, not trying to prove anyone wrong here.
Sorry for the comfusion.

Putting the flower in the jar above 60rh with a short dry time, burping is necessary to bleed out moisture.

Longer dry time (with right temps/rh) would be minimal burping, if any.
Without burping, 2-4 weeks cure time theres no comparison with the jar that constantly has to be burp because of humidity and minimal dry time, which kills terps long term and gives off hay smell. (Burping is a art, but its not the only way)
This is what works for me, not trying to prove anyone wrong here.
Sorry for the comfusion.
So it's not true about the "oxygen feeding the micro-herd"?

I ask because I've got bud in jars where the RH is 61% and very stable--been in jars for about 1 week. I was able to dry it over a period of 7 days. It smells great. I have been burping, but it has seemed like a waste of time and I'd like to dispatch with the burping.

So it's not true about the "oxygen feeding the micro-herd"?

I ask because I've got bud in jars where the RH is 61% and very stable--been in jars for about 1 week. I was able to dry it over a period of 7 days. It smells great. I have been burping, but it has seemed like a waste of time and I'd like to dispatch with the burping.
Right On! Cant tell you to stop burping now. If you can hear a snap breaking open a bud, its ready to be sealed up with no burping.
If youre drying 7 days, rh 61% is really nice. Im assuming temps were a little higher due to the hot summer.?
What was the temps if you dont mind me asking? the lower i drop my temps the longer it can dry if my humidity is around 60%

Right On!
If youre drying 7 days, rh 61% is really nice. Im assuming temps were a little higher due to the hot summer.?
What was the temps if you dont mind me asking? the lower i drop my temps the longer it can dry if my humidity is around 60%
Thanks for your response!

I dried in a very small room (10X10) with an air conditioner set to 67* and a dehumidifier set to 60% RH. I did have 2 small fans aiming at the hung branches, because I'd discovered some bud rot at harvest, and after I cut the rot all out, I didn't want to chance the mold returning. I would have liked a slower dry. :)

Thanks for your response!

I dried in a very small room (10X10) with an air conditioner set to 67* and a dehumidifier set to 60% RH. I did have 2 small fans aiming at the hung branches, because I'd discovered some bud rot at harvest, and after I cut the rot all out, I didn't want to chance the mold returning.
Very nice temps and RH. leave out couple branches next time to dry couple more days. The smoothest and terps get better, then minimum burps.
My next harvest im going 2 weeks dry, 65f 60 humidity. Seal it up minimum 2 weeks (with hydrometers)
Hopefully wife dont kick my ass over the electricity bill this month..lol

Burping, and adding oxygen to the jar is a necessary part of converting our product into a stable and enjoyable medication because the THC itself needs to oxidize. Over time, several things happen to the Delta 9 THC, that complex molecule we usually just call THC. Some of it does oxidize over time in our curing jar, turning into CBN. A percentage of it will not oxidize and it will convert into Delta 8 THC. Delta 8 is much more stable than Delta 9, so its effects also last a lot longer and it is more stable in the jar. Delta 8 is considered to be dangerous in its pure form, and creating it chemically is illegal. It provides less of a psychoactive high, and much much more of a couchlock medicinal effect. The THC that oxidizes into CBN has a much stronger anesthetic effect when we ingest it so it is great for pain management. This is why cured pot seems so much stronger than fresh pot and why burping the jars (adding oxygen) is so good for the curing process.

So fresh cannabis or that cured for up to 3 months or so, still maintains a lot of the Delta 9 THC, so you get a lot of the psychotropic euphoric effect of the Delta 9, but as the THC ages beyond that it does begin to convert to the point where it becomes stable CBN and where it loses some of its euphoric effect. If you are into creating and art and all those things that a cerebral high gives you, smoke fresh well cured pot. If you are into pain management, the more aged, the better.

Burping, and adding oxygen to the jar is a necessary part of converting our product into a stable and enjoyable medication because the THC itself needs to oxidize. Over time, several things happen to the Delta 9 THC, that complex molecule we usually just call THC. Some of it does oxidize over time in our curing jar, turning into CBN. A percentage of it will not oxidize and it will convert into Delta 8 THC. Delta 8 is much more stable than Delta 9, so its effects also last a lot longer and it is more stable in the jar. Delta 8 is considered to be dangerous in its pure form, and creating it chemically is illegal. It provides less of a psychoactive high, and much much more of a couchlock medicinal effect. The THC that oxidizes into CBN has a much stronger anesthetic effect when we ingest it so it is great for pain management. This is why cured pot seems so much stronger than fresh pot and why burping the jars (adding oxygen) is so good for the curing process.

So fresh cannabis or that cured for up to 3 months or so, still maintains a lot of the Delta 9 THC, so you get a lot of the psychotropic euphoric effect of the Delta 9, but as the THC ages beyond that it does begin to convert to the point where it becomes stable CBN and where it loses some of its euphoric effect. If you are into creating and art and all those things that a cerebral high gives you, smoke fresh well cured pot. If you are into pain management, the more aged, the better.
Okay Emilya, you're the man ...er woman. I'm going to continue burping!!

What you've written here gives me impetus to do some research. Thanks very much!

Thanks everyone. I'm stashing this thread away for future reference. I'm still new to proper drying and curing... planning to build a small drying room asap, and will likely also experiment with a mini fridge. I'm off-grid on a relatively small solar power system, so it's a bit tricky.

One thing I heard lately is that if someone hands you a bud that has a strong terpene odor, then something was done incorrectly in the drying/curing process. It's when you grind them that counts... that's when you should get the full terpene odor. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom